• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camile's Cajun Cafe (Port Allen, LA)

Jason Perlow

Camile's Cajun Cafe

12717 Hwy 190 W, Port Allen, LA 70767

Phone: (225) 627-4009

i1220.jpg

Restaurant exterior

i1209.jpg

Green salad with avocado and crab (Rachel)

i1207.jpg

Sweet cornmeal hushpuppies with honey butter

i1213.jpg

Interior of Hushpuppies

i1208.jpg

Boudin Balls

i1212.jpg

Interior of Boudin Balls, they were kind of like dirty rice.

i1215.jpg

Chargrilled Shrimp with Seafood Stuffed Baked Potato (Rachel)

i1214.jpg

Fried Seafood Combo (Mayhaw Man)

i1210.jpg

Tray o'boiled shrimp (Jason) before

i1216.jpg

Tray o'boiled shrimp (Jason) after

i1217.jpg

Restaurant interior just before closing

i1218.jpg

Locally caught stuffed aligator is part of the charm

i1219.jpg

Is everyplace decorated for Christmas already or is a year long thing?

i1221.jpg

Camille herself

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Mayhaw Man was all excited to return, and bring us, to Joe's Dreyfus Store Restaurant (2731 Maringouin Rd W, Livonia, LA 70755, Phone: (225) 637-2625), one of his family's favorite places. Unfortunately, they changed their hours after daylight savings and currently close at 8 PM instead of 9, as it said in the guide book. We arrived at 8:15 and were turned away. :sad: However, one of the waitresses, who recognized our intrepid tour guide, sent us down the road a piece to Camile's.

At first Brooks didn't recall this restaurant, but as we pulled into the parking lot he remembered bringing his children there a couple years back. I'm sure Joe's would have been good, but I'm very glad we ended up where we did. Fresh seafood, simply prepared, was just what we were in the mood for. The spice in Jason's boiled shrimp crept up on him to a pleasant burn. The tartar sauce accompanying everything seemed homemade, with large chunks of vegetables among the mayonaisse based sauce. I loved the sweet and crunchy cornmeal hushpuppies and my chargrilled shrimp.

Camile herself chatted with us and explained her restaurant's philosophy, that "we're making the kind of food people can make for themselves. They come here when they don't want to dirty the kitchen. So it better be real good to make it worth having boiled shrimp at a restaurant." It is Camile, it is.

I really, really liked this place. I'm not sure if its the beat up and extremely casual atmosphere (read, "dive") but I fell in love with Camille's. The fried stuff was certainly top notch, and it had some of the best hush puppies I have had in my entire life, but the big tray of shrimp boil was exactly what I needed after driving around cajun country all day with Rachel and Mayhaw Man.

BTW, in regards to the christmas tree -- its up all year round and is decrorated for different holidays. You'll notice that it is decorated as a Thanksgiving tree. She also decorates it for Mardi Gras, easter and a few other holidays.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host