• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Harmonic Convergence

Florida Jim

Last night, was the harmonic convergence - some enchanted evening.

Diane and I went off to a Charity wine tasting that featured a very good jazz band, a really delicious array of finger type foods and the wines of most of North Carolina’s distributors. Most of what was available for tasting was front line stuff but there were a few goodies and some nice discoveries for the bargain hunter in me.

Brief notes follow:

2002 Catena, Malbec: solidly built, ripe fruit, decent depth and fair persistence. $18.

2002 Avinogesi, Rosso: more approachable than the first wine with bright fruit and good length – a nice little wine in the $15 category.

NV Duval-Leroy Brut, Champagne: delightfully creamy but clean; I usually don’t like creamy bubbly but this was quite good. $26.

2002 Rocca Bianca, Pinot Grigio: too sweet for me but light wine intended as aperitif, I hope. $9.

2002 Jaboulet, Crozes-Hermitage Les Jalets: smelled and tasted like southern Rhone; simple quaffing stuff for folks who don’t expect it to resemble something from the north. $16.

2000 Anderew Will, Ciel de Cheval: volatile, overoaked, in pieces and hot; disgusting. $48.

1994 Porto Rocha, Colheta Port: sweet but killer with a chocolate cake. $24.

2000 Parasio, Syrah: awful wine; dry, woody, tannic; nothing to redeem it. $20.

2000 Rock Rabbit, Syrah: ripe fruit, very forward, no wood; quaffable, if simple. $13.

2002 Santa Julia, Malbec: Wow! Nicely layered on the nose; depth and harmony on the palate, excellent structure, ripe without the slightest hint of overripe, no wood; long finish. $7.50; I’ll buy a case of this tomorrow.

2000 Ornellaia-Le Serre Nuove: boring but unflawed. $48.

2000 Ornellaia-Le Volte: a nice sangiovese nose with a bit more structure and depth than the usual Chianti; pretty good. $20.

NV Bisol, Prosecco: fair but a touch too sweet and not much else. $16.

1998 Aston Vale, Prospect 1870: simple and short but not bad. $21.

2001 Byron, Pinot Noir Santa Maria Valley: stemmy, forest floor almost no fruit on the nose; similar on the palate; for those who enjoy unripe pinot (and, from the SM Valley, I’d like to know how the hell that happens). $19.

NV Francois Montand, Blanc de Blanc (Languedoc): austere type bubbly with a nice freshness and a fairly clean delivery. $9.

2002 Groth, Sauvignon Blanc: served too cold but still smelled and tasted like ripe grapefruit; some depth and a very smooth texture despite good acidity; excellent juice. $15.

2000 Cape Mentelle, Semillon-Sauvignon: sort of a cross between diesel fuel and rancid honey; nasty stuff. $16.

2000 Morgan, Pinot Noir: candied, disjointed, hot; the second sip is one too many. $25.

Attendance was about 400 people dressed from smart casual to formal. Sufficient eye-candy for both sexes, everyone being civil, even convivial, no pushing or hogging at the tables where wine was being poured, no drunks, and we came upon many friends both old and new.

As we left, the eclipse was just reaching full; a pale red veil across the face of the moon.

On the way home, we got calls from several other friends making sure we were watching the eclipse and chatting joyfully about what good days they had enjoyed.

This morning its 37 degrees, still, crisp, completely clear skies of Carolina blue and great to be alive.

There may be something to this convergence stuff.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

NV Bisol, Prosecco: fair but a touch too sweet and not much else. $16.

This is one worth another chance.

The tasting format, whether formal or informal like this one, is a very limited way to judge wine - I keep that in mind when I go to them.

And, regarding this wine, it is part of the portfolio of a friend so I may well get a second chance.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com