• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Learning about wine?

Freckles

La Clape is a designation for a wine that comes from an area near Narbonne on the Mediterranean. I believe it's a village name that the wines are a cru within the Coteaux du Languedoc and that "La Clape" by itself is not an AOC designation. Clape is also the last name of a winemaker in the Northern Rhone who makes a fine Cornas. Wines from La Clape and Cornas from August Clape are two very different wines, with the latter being much higher priced and far more age worthy, but perhaps one of them is your wine.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the final of the 6 classes of my "Basics of Wine" course at the Cordon Bleu tonight. I have enjoyed the program very much. In case any of you are interested, the next Cordon Bleu wine classes start the week of April 5th. I think I am going to sign up for the intermediate course which will begin on the 6th of April.

• 1 year later...

By the way. This year (2005) I took some wonderful enology classes through the Mairie of Paris/ ADAC. Sadly, these highly successful/popular courses are to be discontinued since the city has decided that ADAC should only be for arts classes, like Sculpture and Bookbinding.