• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Syrah shuffle

Florida Jim

Diane decided on pasta with caramelized onions, black olives, EVOO and ricotta salada for dinner with thin sliced, olive bread crostini. With such simple, earthy fare, my thoughts turned to syrah.

First choice:

1998 Abbaye de Tholomies, Minervois:

This is actually 60-30-10, Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre but my initial tasting of this wine late last year convinced me this was one Rhone blend that I would enjoy with a bit of age on it.

Corked – ‘seems to be my week.

Second choice:

1997 Neyers, Syrah:

Big, forward black cherry fruit with too much wood. Some folks may think the wood is just a “component” of the nose and palate but when each taste ends in a sour dill note, it’s just too much for me. Lots of wood tannins, too.

I got about four sips down and Diane looked at me with that look – (it’s not like we don’t have anymore wine so, if you don’t like it, go get something else!). Ah yes, our years together have been good.

Best choice:

1999 Gilles-Robin, Crozes-Hermitage Cuvee Alberic Bouvet:

The last several times I have tasted this it has shown signs of shutting down. And sure enough, the first few sips reminded me of Cote-Rotie light; a sort of thin or weak version of C-R. But then all the fruit came storming in kicking ass and taking names and all was well in Jim-land.

Lesson learned.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com