• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lipton iced tea vs. soda

KateW

Ok so I quit drinking soda for the most part, but now I'm addicted to those flavored iced teas. I don't like Nestea though; only Lipton. I also have a canister of the stop and shop powdered stuff but I prefer prebottled.

Anyway, I used to hate sweetened iced tea until I stopped thinking of it as fruit flavored ice tea and started thinking of it as iced tea flavored fruit juice :biggrin: But was it really worth quitting soda just to latch onto this other sugar-laden stuff?

I figure, soon I can work on quitting the sweetened iced tea and switch to unsweetened. But I don't know of any pre-made unsweetened iced tea unless you make it yourself from teabags.

Tons of premade unsweetened Ice Tea. However, they're all asian brands. Oolongs and Black teas and Green all in 2 liter and 1 liter bottles. You need to go to a chinese, japanese or korean supermarket. Korean preferably because they are the cheapest.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Or just plain old water?

This should probably go on the "Cuisines I don't get" thread, but I really don't understand why people in general -- not just you, Kate :smile: -- drink stuff like sodas or "ice tea" all day. Okay, if the water where you are tastes nasty, maybe; but otherwise ? ? ? I don't get it. :huh:

But I don't know of any pre-made unsweetened iced tea unless you make it yourself from teabags.

Lipton offers this, if it's any help:

Lipton Cold Brew

Introducing Lipton Cold Brew Blend, the "only" 100% natural teabags that infuse in COLD WATER to make real fresh brewed iced tea in only 5 minutes.

Cold Brew comes in 2 sizes - Glass size -- for a single serving and Family size -- for a pitcher full. Now you can have a refreshing glass of Fresh Brewed Iced Tea at the office - in just a few minutes with no hassle!!

Cold Brew contains less than half the caffeine of coffee

Unsweetened Cold Brew is 100% natural, contains no fat, sugar, or calories.

Cold Brew glass size contains 85mg of antioxidants per serving and family size contains 100mg of antioxidants per serving.

Lipton Cold Brew

I realize that you don't care for Nestea but did you know that they sell an unsweetened liquid concentrate?

Plunge into fresh brewed taste in seconds!

New Nestea Unsweetened Iced Tea Liquid Concentrate lets you enjoy real, fresh brewed tea taste without the hassle of tea bags. Refreshing iced or hot.

Zero calories

Just add water

Make by the glass*, or up to 4 quarts

Easy to measure, easy to pour

Find it in your grocer's tea aisle

Nestea Liquid Unsweetened Free Sample

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

Or just plain old water?

This should probably go on the "Cuisines I don't get" thread, but I really don't understand why people in general -- not just you, Kate  :smile: -- drink stuff like sodas or "ice tea" all day.  Okay, if the water where you are tastes nasty, maybe; but otherwise ? ? ? I don't get it.  :huh:

Diet Coke! Diet Coke! All day long, way too much of it..about 6 cans a day! I LOVE the taste. I'm addicted.

Tejava's standard brew is unsweetened. I *wish* it were easier to find their sweetened version, but around where I live you can't go into any drinks section and not stumble over the Tejava unsweetened.

http://www.tejava.com/

I'm also pretty sure Lipton makes an unsweetened version, but it just may be harder to find where you are.

I know it means work, but what about making your own tea and a separate sugar syrup. This way you can sweeten to your taste and slowly reduce your sugar intake by changing the ratio and quantity of the syrup.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Diet soda is just nasty. I always say I would rather drink water. Besides, the whole thing that started me stopping soda intake was my dentist who has been pleading with me for years to quit. The acid in soda that wears away enamel is present in diet soda as well, he tells me.

I do drink water but when I want something with flavor I go for the iced tea. I used to make my own unsweetened iced tea at home but now that I live at school again and have a tiny fridge for 3 people it's a little harder. I do like unsweetened though.

Thanks for the great ideas, everyone!

Besides, the whole thing that started me stopping soda intake was my dentist who has been pleading with me for years to quit.  The acid in soda that wears away enamel is present in diet soda as well, he tells me.

I always wondered about that anti-soda argument; it didn't make much sense to me since so many other foods and drinks are acidic, and acidic food (I assume) are going to spend much more time in contact with one's teeth than beverages. A few months ago I did a little online searching and came up with these faqs from Coca-Cola (below) that refute those soda acid claims. Granted, the comments are self-serving, but they seem to make sense.

I wonder if there's a food scientist who could comment about this? I'm not pro-Coke or pro-Soda, just interested in the truth and anti "junk science."

Thanks.

INGREDIENTS MYTHS & RUMORS

Rumor: The acidity of cola drinks is strong enough to dissolve teeth and bones

Our Response: Almost all foods naturally contain a small amount of acid, including fruit juices, buttermilk, and soft drinks. In fact, cranberries, lemons and limes are examples of fruits that are more acidic than Coca-Cola. Acids, such as phosphoric and citric acid, add a pleasant tartness to a beverage. Phosphoric acid provides phosphorus which is an essential element of bones and tissues. None of these foods are acidic enough to harm our body tissues -- our own natural stomach acid is stronger.

Soaking something in a soft drink or rubbing something with a cloth soaked in a soft drink is not at all like drinking a soft drink. People don't hold soft drinks in their mouths for long periods of time, or rub their teeth with fabric soaked in soft drinks, so it doesn't make sense to extend these possible affects to normal use of the product. Because our teeth are constantly bathed by saliva, which helps buffer the effects of acids from foods and beverages, the effect on tooth enamel is greatly reduced. In fact, the acids in most foods are neutralized to a large degree by the saliva in the mouth long before they reach the stomach.

Are soft drinks bad for my teeth?

All common sugars, even those in fruits and starches, contribute to the development of tooth decay. It’s worth noting that as soft drink consumption has increased over the past decade, tooth decay has decreased dramatically. Three factors help explain this.

First, the widespread use of fluoride in drinking water, toothpastes and mouthwashes has greatly improved dental health, making teeth more resistant to acid attack from plaque bacteria. Second, the sugar in soft drinks has minimal effect on teeth because it’s in a liquid form. The sugar passes quickly through the mouth rather than sticking to the teeth. It’s gone before it really can have an effect. Third, teeth in the mouth are constantly bathed by saliva. This helps neutralize both the acid in soft drinks and that which is produced when plaque bacteria digest sugar and other carbohydrates.

Comments like "a tooth placed in a glass of Coke will disappear" are misleading. A tooth will not disappear if left in a glass of Coke. Actually, the "tooth in Coke demonstration" in no way creates a real-life situation. The teeth in your mouth are alive, not dead. They’re exposed to Coke for only a short amount of time rather than sitting for days in a glass of Coke. Any acidic beverage, including orange juice, would produce the same results. Your teeth are constantly bathed by saliva, which helps buffer the effects of acids from beverages and foods, greatly reducing any effect on tooth enamel. Finally, saliva contains minerals, such as calcium, phosphorus and fluoride, which replace any mineral loss from the tooth enamel.

Does the acidity in Coke damage teeth or bones?

There is a small amount of edible acid present in many foods, including fruit juices, buttermilk, and soft drinks. These foods are not acidic enough to harm your body tissues -- in fact, your own natural stomach acid is much stronger. The consumption of soft drinks, including colas, does not cause weak bones. In fact, the amount of phosphorus found in soft drinks is similar to the level found in orange juice. Insufficient calcium intake, hormonal imbalances, lack of physical activity, and normal aging processes are the primary causes of weak bones. The rumor that "a tooth placed in a glass of a soft drink will vanish" is misleading. This in no way creates a real life situation. The teeth in your mouth are alive, not dead. They're exposed to Coke for only a short amount of time rather than sitting for days in a glass of Coke. Although many soft drinks are acidic in nature, under normal consumption conditions, they are no more acidic than many fruit juices, including orange juice. Because your teeth are constantly bathed by saliva, which helps buffer the effects of acids from beverages and foods, the effect on tooth enamel is greatly reduced. Finally, saliva contains minerals, such as calcium, phosphorus and fluoride, which replace any mineral loss from the tooth enamel. This natural protection is lost when an extracted tooth is placed in a glass of liquid. Unlike teeth, bones are never exposed directly to the foods and beverages we eat.

Well anyway, dental issues aside, soda seems like just about the most unhealthy food out there. As far as I know, there has never been a redeeming discovery about soda. To me, diet soda is sort of better in the aspect that there is not much bad about it; but there is nothing good about it either.

Maybe the soda argument has some merit if you're like some people who sit and drink one soda after another all day. But at my worst I only drank maybe 3 cans of soda a day.

Anyway it just seemed like a bunch of empty calories to me. I had always tried to quit soda before but never could, and I finally ended up doing it when I wasn't even trying.

Anyway, here I am, drinking another Lipton lemon iced tea... :raz:

Well anyway, dental issues aside, soda seems like just about the most unhealthy food out there.  As far as I know, there has never been a redeeming discovery about soda.  To me, diet soda is sort of better in the aspect that there is not much bad about it; but there is nothing good about it either.

Maybe the soda argument has some merit if you're like some people who sit and drink one soda after another all day.  But at my worst I only drank maybe 3 cans of soda a day.

Anyway it just seemed like a bunch of empty calories to me.  I had always tried to quit soda before but never could, and I finally ended up doing it when I wasn't even trying.

Anyway, here I am, drinking another Lipton lemon iced tea...  :raz:

Mostly I drink water but I started drinking some more diet soda recently so it reminded me of the soda acid controversy. I assume that it's one of those urban legends that became repeated so often that it becomes a truism for people who repeat it. And while there are good arguments to limit soda this argument seemingly gets used as a scare tactic.

Have you tried flavored seltzers? They're nothing but seltzer water and natural flavorings. No calories. Delicious and refreshing. (You could pour some tea concentrate into seltzer if you want the tea flavor and/or caffeine.)

You mean the kind that has like a fruit essence, but no flavor?  Those are pretty good.  I also like to mix seltzers with cranberry or grape juice.

Yes, I think that's it. I buy whatever's on sale, usually the supermarket brand or Vintage seltzer (or some other brand I can't remember.) There are also colorless naturally flavored soda with sweeteners, but that's halfway back to diet soda (althought they're pretty tasty.)

I could swear I've seen bottled unsweetened teas. Definitely powdered unsweetened.

Better yet, make triple-strength tea in a saucepan and then dilute with ice. Sweeten as needed. Personally I'd go for a sugar substitute and cut out the sugar carbs.

As for soda and teeth... My dentist also says it's bad. They have brochures in the office with some pretty damning pictures of soda-drinkers' teeth. But they say that using a straw helps--the soda bypasses your teeth to some degree that way. And rinsing your mouth with water afterwards, or just drinking some water afterwards, also mitigates the effect of the acids.

Although I can't vouch for the scientific accuracy, I did an inadvertant experiment on the deteriorating factors of soda back in 1978 at the age of 10. I was drinking soda out of a cup and had a lollypop. I had to go do something so I placed the lollypop into the cup of soda. When I returned the lollypop had been eaten away by the soda and all that was left was the stick.

If that's what soda does to candy, imagine what it does to your teeth and the inside of your stomach. :hmmm:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Although I can't vouch for the scientific accuracy, I did an inadvertant experiment on the deteriorating factors of soda back in 1978 at the age of 10.  I was drinking soda out of a cup and had a lollypop.  I had to go do something so I placed the lollypop into the cup of soda.  When I returned the lollypop had been eaten away by the soda and all that was left was the stick.

If that's what soda does to candy, imagine what it does to your teeth and the inside of your stomach.  :hmmm:

Pretty much any kind of juice would do that too.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

kate,

make some sun tea (if you have sun), by putting 6 or 8 bags of tea in a clear jug of water, and setting it in the sun for a few hours. conversely, boil the water and let the bags steep for 5 minutes or so and let cool.

then you can stir in some mango nectar (or any other nectar type juice that you can find at the market - usually comes in a glass jar) to taste. add some fresh mint, and you'll have a very pleasing drink that isn't too sweet.

Edited by tommy (log)

Although I can't vouch for the scientific accuracy, I did an inadvertant experiment on the deteriorating factors of soda back in 1978 at the age of 10. I was drinking soda out of a cup and had a lollypop. I had to go do something so I placed the lollypop into the cup of soda. When I returned the lollypop had been eaten away by the soda and all that was left was the stick.

Um... You could have done that with tap water, bottled water, milk, beer, wine, sulphuric acid, or the blue stuff in the portajohns as well. The sugar dissolved in liquid. It does that.

If the stick had disappeared, then we'd be talking....

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Ok, so we can bypass the harm to teeth, but what about the empty calories? :biggrin:

And even if I drank diet soda, how would that be good for me, and not just "not bad" for me?

I doubt diet soda could be "good" for you at all. Unless someone comes out with a fortified variety. Or unless you dissolve a multivitamin in it before drinking. :raz: I also think Diet Coke is one of the most vile substances on earth.

From WebMD:

The American Diabetes Association cautions that eating too much of any artificial sweetener can cause gas and diarrhea.

I love Coke. Love it. However, I've noticed that 2 of my girlfriends who drink Coke all day (roughly 2-4 cans per day) have awfully grody teeth, so that's enough to keep me from drinking more than 2-3 cans per WEEK. Gotta keep these pearly whites in good shape, ya know! :biggrin:

Edited by sherribabee (log)
Sherri A. Jackson

Although I can't vouch for the scientific accuracy, I did an inadvertant experiment on the deteriorating factors of soda back in 1978 at the age of 10.  I was drinking soda out of a cup and had a lollypop.  I had to go do something so I placed the lollypop into the cup of soda.  When I returned the lollypop had been eaten away by the soda and all that was left was the stick.

If that's what soda does to candy, imagine what it does to your teeth and the inside of your stomach.  :hmmm:

A cup of your own salivia would do exactly the same thing.

Sherri A. Jackson