• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK Chardonnay harvest pix

jackal10

Cambridge is about the northern limit for Chardonnay, but this year has been particularly hot and dry although yields are a bit down.

This place gets more like California all the time..

We picked a small vinyard near here today

i281.jpg

Ripe grapes

i282.jpg

Plastic stacking boxes don't crush the grapes as much as dustbins

i283.jpg

View along a row, picker at work. We picked in pairs. one each side of the row

i284.jpg

View down the vinyard

i285.jpg

Grapes stacked in the trailer waiting to be transported to the winery. These will make about 500 bottles of fizz.

i287.jpg

These grapes will be vinified by the award winning Ridgeview Estate, and be ready to drink in about 3 years time. Apparently you get about 1 bottle per kilo of grapes, and that is about the yield of each mature vine. Quite of the grapes were lost to birds.

Bubbly is a good use for these northern grapes as they have comparatively high acid levels and lower sugar. English bubbly is winning prizes in blind tastings against Champagne.