• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matt Kramer's "Making Sense of Wine"

malcolmjolley

I don't have access to the link you posted but I can tell you that Matt Kramer has beern a columnist for Wine Spectator ever since the book you speak of hit the shelves back in the early 90's. A lot of what he said in the book was true then but perhaps less true now. I remember he seriously took the Burgundians to task for the shoddy product they were selling us in the 80's. This month in Specator he is dumping on the cork producers. He seems to be less cutting edge now.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I'm not familiar with Matt Kramer but he sounds like a good read. Has anyone read him?

It is entirely possible that Matt is out of fashion these days - I find that a plus on his behalf.

His "Making Sense of Burgundy" is an excellent, albeit out of print, text on the subject.

He is entertaining a great deal of the time - something very few wine writers can claim.

And he is open minded and, I find him, unpretentious. I have not read the piece of which you speak, but I do enjoy his writing and will get round to it soon.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Making Sense of Wine is a great book. I recommend it to everyone,. His thoughts on appellation, and "authenticity" in wine should be required reading for anyone that works with wine, or wishes to learn more about wine. It's all there - everything you need to know about why you shouldn't buy cheap "refinery-not-winery" wine.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol