• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's Rolls Out Philly Cheesesteak

cinghiale

Craig Laban, food critic for the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports that they may use "steak", but it ain't Philly: "McDonald's, at least for now, is limiting the new sandwich to a relatively small audience, so the embarrassment is contained locally. But its inevitable marketing success could have a big impact on business at our region's huge number of independent steak shops, which have always held their own against the chains. And the sandwich has suffered the ultimate insult of not receiving an official McDonald's Mc-label. It's not a McSteak, a McSixer or even a McWid."

McD trying to sell cheeseteaks in the city of the cheesestak is as dumb as a chain like Subway trying to sell hoagies in the city of the Hoagie. Oh, wait, that's right. Subway is selling tons of hoagies in Philadelphia. Go figure.

Next new product for McDonald's? I'm thinking a Scrapple McMuffin

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

McD trying to sell cheeseteaks in the city of the cheesestak is as dumb as a chain like Subway trying to sell hoagies in the city of the Hoagie.  Oh, wait, that's right.  Subway is selling tons of hoagies in Philadelphia.  Go figure.

Good point. Taco Bell is very popular in TX. So sad.

McD trying to sell cheeseteaks in the city of the cheesestak is as dumb as a chain like Subway trying to sell hoagies in the city of the Hoagie.  Oh, wait, that's right.  Subway is selling tons of hoagies in Philadelphia.  Go figure.

Next new product for McDonald's?  I'm thinking a Scrapple McMuffin

McBall (bull's testicle)

I actually don't care very much.

My impression of all these additional menu items is that McDonald's has suffered b/c of them, at least profit-wise. Lack of focus and specialization.

And also as mentioned, there's tons of other places around Philly that are making crappy cheesesteaks. Just one more. Or make that couple hundred thousand more. with marketing behind them.

Yea, I was gonna bring up the hoagie thing, too. Also water ice. (Rita's, anyone?)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

We had the cheesesteak here in Chicago a couple years ago, and, it was good! Same steak as the b'fast bagel with mozz, grn pep,and onions. Also mayo was on the thing, on a soft hoagie roll.

We had it in Connecticut two years ago. It was pretty greasy, but edible. Wouldn't go out of my way to have one, tho.

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

McDonald's already sells lobster rolls in New England. No "Mc" name on that one either.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

McDonald's already sells lobster rolls in New England. No "Mc" name on that one either.

Too bad it's a lobster salad roll- not a "hot" lobster roll. We've had the brats here a few times- suck. If you want a brat go to Sheboygan to the Triangle Meat Market and fire them at home.

Jack in the Box has one out here in California that is actually pretty good!

I saw cheesesteaks sold in LA's Farmers Market that came with sprouts and avocado.

Oh, you can have a cheesesteak with anything on it...but it's not a PHILLY Cheesesteak!

Jack in the Box has one out here in California that is actually pretty good!

I saw cheesesteaks sold in LA's Farmers Market that came with sprouts and avocado.

Oh, you can have a cheesesteak with anything on it...but it's not a PHILLY Cheesesteak!

But that's what they call it. In fact that's what they call it everywhere outside of Philadelphia and its environs. If it's on the menu as a Philly Cheesesteak it's probably not a Philadelphia Cheesesteak.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Whatever happened to the McPizza? I saw then at a couple around the Houston area, but never had the nerve to try one... I'm assuming that idea bit the proverbial big one.

And has anyone else seen the new "Big Mac Xtreme"? The Big Mac built out of Quarter Pounders (Royale with Cheese for the Europeans - Love Pulp Fiction)

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Big Mac Xtreme? So its like a double quarter pounder but a Big Mac? Wow. I gotta get me one of those.

Must fit in very well with their new Healthy Lifestyles campaign :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host