• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bagels in New Jersey

menton1

Since they were discussing this in NY, I thought this would make an interesting topic in NJ, as there is a Bagel Shop practically on every corner.

I prefer bagels that are smaller, dense, and loaded with flavor. Most of the bagel shops make these giant "pillow" bagels, hardly any hole, and they are so huge, but very little flavor.

Please chime in with your favorite bagels in NJ and what you like in a bagel.

My personal favorite in Bergen County is Radburn Bagels, 23-59 Fair Lawn Ave in Fair Lawn. Their bagels are smaller, crispier, and denser than most. Loaded with flavor. My faves are the Whole Wheat and the Everything. Bagel Gourmet on Rock Road in downtown Glen Rock has great flat bagels, called "flagels", a flattened out bagel that almost tastes like an onion board.

Comments, anyone?

I have similar tastes when it comes to bagels and cannot seem to find any good ones in Essex county or in Lower Manhattan, where I work. I also find it very frustrating when I order a poppy seed bagel, which has a light coating of poppy seeds. I would love to find poppy seeded bagels, drenched with poppy seeds. Also...given that the summer has been a tad humid, where are those crispy ones hiding?

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

The Bagel Box in West Orange used to have fabulous bagels. Small, chewy, very flavorful. We'd go there on Sundays, get a dozen bagels and a free paper. It was great. But, it changed hands a couple of years ago and the new bagels aren't very good.

Super Duper Bagels in Livingston is our new favorite. We've never had trouble with the owner. In fact, everyone there has always been very nice to us. I also really like their tuna salad. The only problem with Super Duper is that they are closed on Saturdays.

We also sometimes go to Bagels Around the World (I think that's the name) in Montclair for bagel sandwiches. They make a good bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich.

The Bagel Spot on Morris Ave. in Union has the best bagels I've tasted. This only includes about 15 or so places. But I liked them better than the Sonny Amster in the Millburn Mall.

John the hot dog guy

Go to Sheepshead Baygels on Route 35 in Holmdel/Middletown for delicious hand rolled bagels. The bagels are just as good as the ones made originally at the family's bagel shop in, you guessed it, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn!

Thank you, FoodSnob, for keeping this thread from being totally northern Jersey-centric! :wink::biggrin:

Bagel World, on Route 9 North, in Manalapan, whose owners originally came from Brooklyn, has been turning out excellent hand-rolled bagels in this location for about 30 years! :smile::smile:

I agree that the Bagelwich products (Verona) are good.  I also like the bagels in the shop on Watchung Plaza in Upper Montclair. Can't recall the name of the shop.

Over to the right over on Midland?

Living hard will take its toll...

The bagels at Bagel Buffet in Secaucus are excellent. On the large side and pretty tasty. I think there is another Bagel Buffet location in Hasbrouck Heights (I think that's the town?). In the big Pathmark shopping center on Route 17 around where it meets Route 80.