• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Q&A -- Understanding Stovetop Cookware

Durian, I did much the same thing to one of my All-Clad sauce pans: boiled it dry with bits of diced shallot burnt to a crisp inside. I had marks from the shallot, discoloration from the alchohol that had boiled off, and general yellowing of the pan's interior, presumably from the heat.

I scrubbed, scoured, and tried bleach. I can't remember whether I tried Sam's oven cleaner trick, but I know I tried simmering water and detergent, and scrubbing at the softened junk. Eventually I got most of the marks off. The interior isn't as shiny as it was before, but it looks okay - heck, usually there's something in it, anyway. Like Anna N, I favor Bon Ami or Barkeeper's Friend. The pan is definitely still okay to use, but as Sam notes, it may not be quite as quick to release as before. That hasn't mattered with my saucepan as much as it may with your skillet.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...

I have a question. I now have some All Clad stainless pans, which have discolored with their first usage. If this were normal stainless, I'd have scoured them out with steel or copper scrubbies and have been done with it. But the instructions say I can't - that I shouldn't use steel wool. Why? Is this really kid glove cookware? Will I harm it? They look pretty sturdy to me, and I don't see why I can't treat a pot as a pot (unless I've been mistreating them all along, and didn't even know it). Any advice appreciated.

1. I have an All-Clad 4 qt. saute pan, stainless. I sometimes throw it in the dishwasher, sometimes I scrub it with an SOS pad, otherwise I try to follow their rules and use a non-abrasive scrubber with mild soap. Depends what I have handy, how dirty the pan is, and so on. The pan seems to react just fine.

Similarly, I have a 5 liter stainless Matfer (Matfer Bourgeat?) casserole, a bit smaller than a conventional pasta pot or stockpot. I, too, mistakenly scorched food badly in it and was left with dark spots, despite much scrubbing with a variety of cleaners. It's still a terrific pan, cooks good food, simmers stocks in smaller quantities, and I'm happy with it, I would never replace it, despite the spots.

I defer to the professional chefs here at Egullet, I'm an amateur, but I would hope that any stainless pan worth its reputation would be designed to stand up to occasional mistakes.

2. By the way, Sam Kinsey, quite some time ago, you said that you might enjoy having one of the 15.75 inch Mauviel oval table service roaster/gratin pans, I recall you saying that you thought it'd be versatile. I ordered one of those from homeclick.com 2-3 weeks ago, and it arrived today. I can't tell you how terrific-looking and sturdy it is. Can't wait to try it out. The only odd thing, though, is that I paid $159, on sale, shipping included, and the same website now asks $210, after discount, for the exact same pan. The copper futures must have rocketed lately, or something. Hereagain, bringing the pan home from Dehillerin in Paris looks like the only way to get a terrific bargain.

In any event, it's a treasure, even though not yet one day old. This copperware is truly addictive, even though expensive.

I have a question.  I now have some All Clad stainless pans, which have discolored with their first usage.  If this were normal stainless, I'd have scoured them out with steel or copper scrubbies and have been done with it.  But the instructions say I can't - that I shouldn't use steel wool.  Why?

Functionally there is no reason you shouldn't be able to scrub them with copper scrubbies. The reason All-Clad doesn't want you to do this is because it will leave scratches on the surface of the pan and the cosmetic appearance of All-Clad Stainless is important to most people who purchase it. Personally, I'd recommend Bar Keeper's Friend over a copper scrubbing pad for this use. Either way, you're not going to have that mirror finish any more.

I should point out that a certain amount of discoloration on your All-Clad Stainless isn't going to change its performance one bit.

2.  By the way, Sam Kinsey, quite some time ago, you said that you might enjoy having one of the 15.75 inch Mauviel oval table service roaster/gratin pans, I recall you saying that you thought it'd be versatile.  I ordered one of those from homeclick.com 2-3 weeks ago, and it arrived today.

I gather we're talking about this post here where I said:

Second, would there be any reason to buy any of the oval pans?  People seem to love them.  Falk makes them with cast-iron handles, and the larger ones, I think, are 2.5 mm copper, whereas the Mauviel seems to be 1.6 mm, with brass handles.

If you're asking about Falk's "oval casserole," most of what I said about their "stew pot" also applies here. I just don't see why it's worth sprending the money for copper and would gravitate towards enameled cast iron, which has the added advantage of being much less expensive.

If you're talking about gratin pans, it gets a little more complicated. The thing about a gratin pan is that looks do make a difference, because you will be bringing the pan to the table. Whether copper makes sense will largely depend on how you think you might use the pan. Strictly for making things "gratinée" (which is to say, cooked in the oven or under the broiler until brown and crispy on top), it probably doesn't add anything to use copper and you might as well use porcelain. Metal gratin pans can have added functionality, however, because they can be heated on the stove. You could use it as a "sizzle plate" to finish items in the oven. You could toss in some fat and garlic on the stovetop, start a whole fish in the pan, and take the whole thing to the oven. You could roast poultry in the gratin pan, use the same pan to make a pan sauce, return the poultry to the pan and take the whole thing to the table. There are a lot of things you could do with a metal gratin pan.

For many of these extended applications, heavy copper could really come in handy. Keep in mind, however, that the 1.6 mm Mauviel line is called "table service." It is fine for the oven, but is too thin for stovetop cooking.

That last bit is actually quite important. Mauviel's Table Service line is not intended for stovetop cooking, and won't perform well in that context. From a purely functional standpoint, something like Falk Culinair's large gratin pan pan at 2.5 mm thickness would have good versatility in that it could be heated on the stovetop. You couldn't really do that with a piece of Mauviel Table Service.

--

I have a question.  I now have some All Clad stainless pans, which have discolored with their first usage.  If this were normal stainless, I'd have scoured them out with steel or copper scrubbies and have been done with it.  But the instructions say I can't - that I shouldn't use steel wool.  Why?

Functionally there is no reason you shouldn't be able to scrub them with copper scrubbies. The reason All-Clad doesn't want you to do this is because it will leave scratches on the surface of the pan and the cosmetic appearance of All-Clad Stainless is important to most people who purchase it. Personally, I'd recommend Bar Keeper's Friend over a copper scrubbing pad for this use. Either way, you're not going to have that mirror finish any more.

I should point out that a certain amount of discoloration on your All-Clad Stainless isn't going to change its performance one bit.

Thank you both for your responses!

I could care less about a mirror finish - all that matters to me is that they perform (and that I be able to clean them properly). They are tools, after all.

I'll go for the Barkeeper's Friend.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of slowly replacing 6-year old thin aluminum Farberware cookware, complete with peeling teflon. Due for replacement: 1 qt and 3 qt saucepans, 3 qt saute pan (which we use for everything). I ordered a Homichef sauce pan on a lark to see what this very cheap brand is like, that should arrive soon. I have a Le Creuset 1.3 qt pan too which cooks exquisite oatmeal.

I have since come across the Bourgeat Exellence stainless steel line. I like the welded handles, especially after years of cleaning crud out from handle rivets. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? How does it compare to the Paderno or Sitram brands? The specific pans I am interested in are the 3 (or so) qt suacepan replacement, and a bigger 11" diameter saute pan, both of which can be had from Sitram or Bourgeat. I'm also going to order the Sitram 3.4 qt saucier pan since my wife and I do a lot of cooking involving smaller quantities of meat with sauces. Down the line I'll look into some fully-clad frypans, but that can wait, especially due to the higher prices for that style of cookware.

I am in the process of slowly replacing 6-year old thin aluminum Farberware cookware, complete with peeling teflon.  Due for replacement: 1 qt and 3 qt saucepans, 3 qt saute pan (which we use for everything).  I ordered a Homichef sauce pan on a lark to see what this very cheap brand is like, that should arrive soon.  I have a Le Creuset 1.3 qt pan too which cooks exquisite oatmeal.

I have since come across the Bourgeat Exellence stainless steel line.  I like the welded handles, especially after years of cleaning crud out from handle rivets.  Does anyone have any experience with this brand?  How does it compare to the Paderno or Sitram brands?  The specific pans I am interested in are the 3 (or so) qt suacepan replacement, and a bigger 11" diameter saute pan, both of which can be had from Sitram or Bourgeat.  I'm also going to order the Sitram 3.4 qt saucier pan since my wife and I do a lot of cooking involving smaller quantities of meat with sauces.  Down the line I'll look into some fully-clad frypans, but that can wait, especially due to the higher prices for that style of cookware.

We own several pieces of Sitram, and it is exellent, well-made cookware. We own the 3-quart saucepan and have been very happy with it. Haven't used the Bourgeat stainless, but it looks to be the same construction and they have a good reputation. The Sitram pan appears about $10-12 cheaper ($57 with lid at this link: http://www.cookswares.com/individual.asp?n=60043). You can sometimes pick it up at incredible prices on Amazon (they call it either "professional" or "profiserie," but it's the same stuff). I see no reason to pay more for the Borgeat.

Although Sitram is great for certain kinds of pans (especially larger sauce pans or stock pots), I would think twice before using it for either a saute pan or a saucier. We have the 11" saute pan, and it's a great pan, PROVIDED you keep the heat no higher than medium. If you cook anything hotter than that, the outer edges of the pan (beyond the edge of the aluminum disk) get too hot, and you get a dark-brown or black ring around the outer edges of the inside bottom of the pan (this problem has been discussed earlier in this post with respect to smaller sauce pans). This cleans off with BKF and elbow grease, but it's a pain that causes us to limit the use of this pan to lower-heat applications.

Bottom line: I would suggest getting a single-guage pan for both the 11" diameter saute pan, and the saucier pan you mention, UNLESS you are sure you will seldom or never use higher than medium heat. I have not tried these pans, but if they are built as described, the single-gauge saute pans at J.B. Prince (at this link: http://www.jbprince.com/index.asp?PageActi...OD&ProdID=3505) seem like great value ($56 for the 3-quart version, w/no lid).

Hope this helps.

Jim Heard

We own several pieces of Sitram, and it is exellent, well-made cookware.  We own the 3-quart saucepan and have been very happy with it.  Haven't used the Bourgeat stainless, but it looks to be the same construction and they have a good reputation. 

I liked the handle design and full annular weld on the Bourgeat compared with the Sitram. I don't mind a few extra bucks here and there when this stuff should last a very long time :biggrin:

Bottom line: I would suggest getting a single-guage pan for both the 11" diameter saute pan, and the saucier pan you mention, UNLESS you are sure you will seldom or never use higher than medium heat.  I have not tried these pans, but if they are built  as described, the single-gauge saute pans at J.B. Prince (at this link: http://www.jbprince.com/index.asp?PageActi...OD&ProdID=3505) seem like great value ($56 for the 3-quart version, w/no lid).

Thanks for the tip! I had been concerned about the edge of the disk on the Sitram pans. Right now my apartment has an electric stove so the hot edge won't matter. Our next place (projected for March 2007) will have whatever stove it comes with... I will definitely look into that JB Prince pan, that looks like an excellent bargain. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've received my $10 Homichef 1.3 qt stainless steel pan from Instawares. It's pretty decent: the handle is spot-welded in 6 spots and is water tight. Comfort-wise it's ok but not great. The bottom has 0.25 in of aluminum in a trapezoidal shape (a bit wider at the edges of the pan than at the very bottom) clad in magnetic steel. The inside has a brushed finish and a nicely rounded corner from the straight sides to the bottom. Overall, it's nice, and the price is unbeatable. From what I can tell from the their incomprehensible website, the brand is the house brand of some Chinese factory that makes cookware. I'll let y'all know in 10 years how it's stood up to the test of time :wink:

• 1 month later...

Just made a killing at Home Goods, and when I searched I found this question:

s sitram Catering the same as Sitram Collectivite?

I just bought a 28 cm Sitram fry pan with a copper disk that is clearly identical to the Catering fry pan on the website and is labeled "Collecitivite":

gallery_19804_437_1182942.jpg

$16 at Home Goods if you can find it, friends -- a cool Benjamin below retail. :wink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I've received my $10 Homichef 1.3 qt stainless steel pan from Instawares.  It's pretty decent: the handle is spot-welded in 6 spots and is water tight.  Comfort-wise it's ok but not great.  The bottom has 0.25 in of aluminum in a trapezoidal shape (a bit wider at the edges of the pan than at the very bottom) clad in magnetic steel.  The inside has a brushed finish and a nicely rounded corner from the straight sides to the bottom.  Overall, it's nice, and the price is unbeatable.  From what I can tell from the their incomprehensible website, the brand is the house brand of some Chinese factory that makes cookware.  I'll let y'all know in 10 years how it's stood up to the test of time  :wink:

BFG.

Homichef is the house brand for Eurodib of Montreal, Canada. They have made excellent stainless pans for years and recently transferred production to China with a modest downgrade in quality.

Eurodib's Homiched Stainless Cookware

Instawares has developed a reputation for shoddy customer service and constant violations of FTC Prompt Delivery Regulations and refusals to refund unfair charges. Be really careful.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Instawares has developed a reputation for shoddy customer service and constant violations of FTC Prompt Delivery Regulations and refusals to refund unfair charges.  Be really careful.

Tim

You know, it did take like 3 weeks to get that pan from them. With what you say I will not bother with them again.

The Homichef pan was accidentally left on the stove with a small amount of water (for oatmeanl) while I was doing diaper duty...it did not take well to being heated on 'hi' for 12 minutes. After cooling it made loud cracking noises when I tried to scrub out the inside so I tossed it, fearing the bottom would separate completely from the pan.

It's been replaced with an all-aluminum 1.5 qt. sauce pan from a local restaurant supply store. $8.50.

i have a general question about cookware: why isn't french steel more popular as fry pan material? they're cheap, they take some taking care of but less than cast iron, and they work really well.

i have a couple small ones, and you know, they put a better sear on more quickly than cast iron. and they blow away stainless in that category as well. i don't know why.

in fact, i'm kind of interested in the physics behind searing/browning ability in general. why does cast iron work better than stainless? why is enamel worse than either?

i have a general question about cookware: why isn't french steel more popular as fry pan material?  they're cheap, they take some taking care of but less than cast iron, and they work really well.

My guess is that it's simply due to a lack of awareness. In the United States, that mindspace is occupied by cast iron. In some other countries (France perhaps?) it might be reversed and we might be asking why heavy cast iron isn't used more.

That said, it's also a fact that unlined cast iron isn't used all that much either outside of the foodie community and certain specialty applications (cornbread, etc.). This is simply because it can't be washed in the dishwasher.

in fact, i'm kind of interested in the physics behind searing/browning ability in general.  why does cast iron work better than stainless?  why is enamel worse than either?

Most of this is explained in the eGCI class (hard to remember this is the Q&A thread to a class, I know). Cast iron works better than stainless because cast iron has better thermal conductivity. Because stainless has such crappy conductivity and high thermal capacity, stainless cookware is generally made very thin. This results in an overall low thermal capacity. Low conductivity and low thermal capacity equals less heat being conducted into the meat, which equals lesser performance on searing and browning. It is not the case, however, that stainless steel has poor properties as a surface for searing and browning. Stainless lined heavy copper, stainless lined thick aluminum and stainless disk bottom cookware all excel at browning and searing.

Enamel is a slightly different story. There are two kinds of enamel cookware. Enameled carbon steel is enamel over a very thin layer of carbon steel. This suffers from the same conductivity and thermal capacity problems as stainless, only even worse due to the fact that enamel has drastically lower thermal conductivity than even stainless steel (so much so that enamel might be better characterized as an "insulator" rather than a "conductor"). Enameled cast iron is much better at browning and searing than enameled carbon steel, but still suffers compared to copper, aluminum and unlined iron. The lesser performance has to do, I'm guessing, with the very low thermal conductivity of the enamel.

--

Most of this is explained in the eGCI class (hard to remember this is the Q&A thread to a class, I know). 

hey i remembered that!

i just wasn't making the logical connection.

Enameled cast iron is much better at browning and searing than enameled carbon steel, but still suffers compared to copper, aluminum and unlined iron.  The lesser performance has to do, I'm guessing, with the very low thermal conductivity of the enamel.

very interesting, thanks.

when my all-clad frypans die (which, well, it's been over 10 years and they are none the worse for wear as far as i can tell, so it probably won't be that soon), i'm totally replacing them with cheap french steel pans. i wish i'd known about them when i was younger; i could have saved myself and the family who bought me these pans plenty of money.

Homichef is the house brand for Eurodib of Montreal, Canada.  They have made excellent stainless pans for years and recently transferred production to China with a modest downgrade in quality.

Eurodib's Homiched Stainless Cookware

Instawares has developed a reputation for shoddy customer service and constant violations of FTC Prompt Delivery Regulations and refusals to refund unfair charges.  Be really careful.

Tim

That URL didn't work for me [extra http].

Let's try a revised link

There are some excellent cookware bargains at Smart Bargains.com.

Something for everyone here. Some of the Calphalon prices are exceptional.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone here actually own and use any of the Sitram Magnum Pro, Profiserie, or Paderno Grand Gourmet lines on an induction hob? I am going to be doing a little kitchen remodeling, and an induction cooktop is on the list. I have been researching cookware for the past few months and this thread has been very helpful, but I haven't seen much information on induction-compatible cookware. From what I've been able to figure out, the three lines above are all induction compatible, and sturdy pieces besides. For now, I'm looking to pick up a saute pan (probably 11" or so), a 3-qt. sauce pan, and maybe a small saucepan with a spout for melting butter and warming up small amounts of liquids.

I am leaning towards the Sitram Magnum Pro line right now, thanks to its copper core. It seems to me that if I'm going to be cooking on induction, with its near-instantaneous temperature changes, I should get the most responsive cookware I can to take advantage of it. That means a copper/stainless disc rather than aluminum, which rules out the Paderno and Sitram Profiserie. The only worries I have about the Magnum Pro line (and I'd appreciate the opinion of anyone who owns them) are these:

1. The handles. I've read conflicting information about their construction, riveted or welded. All the photos I've seen suggest they're welded (which I would prefer), but in this post, dillybravo states that someone at Sitram says they're actually riveted. Which is it?

2. The visible copper disc on the bottom of the pan. In the photos I've seen, like this one, the center of the disc is not covered in magnetic stainless steel. I don't actually have induction yet, but it seems to me that that small exposed copper area would reduce the amount of energy that gets into the disc, because that copper area is not affected by the induction coils like the rest of the disc. I realize it's a small percentage of the surface area on, say, a large saute pan, but if the exposed part is the same size on all the pans, then the small saucepan must have 10% - 20% of its bottom taken up by the exposed copper disc. It seems like a dumb design decision if I'm right about the exposed copper area not responding to the induction coils, but I don't know if it would make any appreciable difference in the performance of the pan.

Buckethead, I'm not sure I entirely follow your logic on using copper. Given the way induction works, why wouldn't you want cookware where the thermal material can be directly acted upon by magnetics? In particular, my mind goes to Mauviel's Induc'Inox line, which I have mentioned previously on this thread. It is a fully stainless-clad, straight gauge design with a 2 mm thermal core of magnetic carbon steel. Given the way induction works, carbon steel should be plenty responsive, and I think it makes sense that the induction hob acts directly on the thermal core. This is what I'd be likely to buy if I were to switch to induction.

--

Buckethead, I'm not sure I entirely follow your logic on using copper.  Given the way induction works, why wouldn't you want cookware where the thermal material can be directly acted upon by magnetics?  In particular, my mind goes to Mauviel's Induc'Inox line, which I have mentioned previously on this thread.  It is a fully stainless-clad, straight gauge design with a 2 mm thermal core of magnetic carbon steel.  Given the way induction works, carbon steel should be plenty responsive, and I think it makes sense that the induction hob acts directly on the thermal core.  This is what I'd be likely to buy if I were to switch to induction.

I have thought about the Induc'Inox line, but the copper disc (or aluminum, for that matter) design is more usable on a wider variety of heat sources, which is important to me because I am stuck with an electric cooktop for at least several months yet, and also because I may not always be cooking on induction. The Induc'Inox doesn't have a layer of aluminum or copper to spread the heat around, which means that while it's great for induction, it will probably have hot spots when used on a gas or conventional electric source. I'm also not sure what the benefit is of the carbon steel extending up the sides of the pan, I was under the impression that the magnetic field generated by an induction hob only acts on the bottom of the pan that sits atop it. Is that right?

I suppose my decision really depends on how much better the Induc'Inox line performs than the Magnum Pro line (or another copper or aluminum disc design), when they are both actually used on an induction hob. If the carbon steel core of the Induc'Inox is head and shoulders above the magnetized steel disc on the Magnum Pro, then it would be worth it to me to just wait till I actually have an induction hob to upgrade my cookware, and not worry about when I may have to use it on a gas or electric hob. Unfortunately, information on induction is kind of hard to come by online, let alone objective comparisons of the various lines of induction-compatible cookware.

There's really not much point in spending big bucks on high performance cookware for an electric stove. The evenness of the heat source should take care of itself, and the slowness with which the heat source responds to changes in the heat setting will mitigate any advantages in responsivity.

I'd say you have the right idea in your last paragraph: Wait until you have the induction stove, buy a piece of each and see how they perform against each other. There's no reason to have everything all from the same brand. In general, if you're going to lay out big bucks on an induction stove, it seems a bit silly to buy cookware based on how you think it would perform over gas. If you decide to replace the induction with gas, the cost of a few pots and pans will be the least of your worries (Mauviel Induc'Inox will be far from useless over gas anyway and, no, I wouldn't expect hot spots).

--

• 2 weeks later...

I've been lusting after Le Creuset's assorted enameled cast iron products for a long time, but have not been able to get the exchequer to approve one. So, last night in a HomeGoods store, I saw that they carried "Authentic Kitchen" brand enameled cast iron cookware. Has anyone heard of this brand, or had any experience with it? It's all made in China, unsurprisingly. The heft seems good (in fact, it seemed heavier to me than LC, but of course I had nothing to which to directly compare it), but the enamel quality seemed iffy in the store, borne out by experience (see below).

On a whim I bought the 7-Qt oval dutch oven for $50. Before I even got it home, I managed to chip the enamel: in transit, the lid slipped down into the pot, chipping the edge. As this is an unimportant spot, I'm going to let it slide.

I haven't had a chance to actually use the thing yet. Any suggestions for a first recipe? I'm leaning towards braised short ribs of some sort.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the market for a saute pan, probably SS with an aluminum core. Amazon is offering this Cuisinart 5-1/2 Quart pan for 47.95, which seems like a good deal to me if the pan is any good. Almost all of the reviews from purchasers are positive, although a few were put off by the size (12") and the weight, but neither of those would be a problem for me.

OTOH, Cooks Illustrated recommends the All Clad Stainless at around 4 times the money. They recommend the 3 quart but I would probably opt for the 4 quart. Has anybody had any experience with these two lines? Side-by-side comparisons? Opinions, good or bad? Any and all info much appreciated.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

I'm in the market for a saute pan, probably SS with an aluminum core.  Amazon is offering this Cuisinart 5-1/2 Quart pan for 47.95, which seems like a good deal to me if the pan is any good.  Almost all of the reviews from purchasers are positive, although a few were put off by the size (12") and the weight, but neither of those would be a problem for me.

OTOH, Cooks Illustrated recommends the All Clad Stainless at around 4 times the money.  They recommend the 3 quart but I would probably opt for the 4 quart.  Has anybody had any experience with these two lines?  Side-by-side comparisons?  Opinions, good or bad?  Any and all info much appreciated.

I'd recommend Sitram over the Cuisinart or the All-clad stainless. I've seen that line of Cuisinart in the store and it seemed less sturdy than Sitram, plus I don't trust any covered aluminum disk, since you can't really tell how thick it is. On the Sitram, you can see that it's actually 1/4" thick. We have the 3.3 quart sitram saute pan and like it alot. You can get the 4.5 quart model with lid (I believe that's the size) for about $70 on amazon.

As Sam and others have pointed out, All-clad is generally way overpriced. That said, if you are set on a single-gauge pan (as opposed to the disk bottom style like sitram and the cuisinart), avoid the stainless line, and look at the all-aluminum MC2 line, which is not only cheaper but better (but doesn't look at pretty). The best deals on any all-clad will not be on Amazon but on http://www.cookwarenmore.com/ which sells good-quality seconds for way less than retail. For example, the 4 quart MC 2 saute pan would be about $130 versus about $195 retail.

Think seriously about your intended use before deciding whether to pay extra for single-gauge. If you can get by with medium heat, then you will probably not experience the problem of hot edges with the disk bottom pans (it causes black spots around the "corners" that are a bit of chore to clean, but manageable). If you expect to do a lot of high-heat cooking, then it's probably worth the money to go single-gauge.

Hope this helps.