• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Can Opener

Fat Guy

I have an older model of the OXO, and I luv' it!

two comments:

#1 - it does take a bit of practice - it's different.  but in short you'll be able to slap it on and twist away....

#2 - apparently some of the catch/can at sea factory ships have bought new canning equipment - and the OXO won't work on them.  got some tuna from Costco and wound up using the ole' C-Rats P-38 . . .

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@paulraphael

so I went w the OXO

works fine .  both OXO's do

The Best ?    perfectly fine for me , a category , well , that suits me.

Ive enjoyed over time , moving ' up ' in the kitchen knife world 

a can opener is a tool .

Knives and etc  , are Preforming Art  , a different category of KitchenWare.

That's what I liked about the old bog-standard Oxo. It opened cans and I never had to think about it. I don't need to know if it's the world's finest.

People with arthritis or some other challenges with their hands might disagree.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

it's what works for you .  as a kitchen tool

w arthritics , other hand issues   one looks for more assistance .

same idea  

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

After reading a few glowing reviews, I got an inauspiciously-named EZ-DUZ-IT can opener (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). It's ok, but not special, and the handle grips don't stay on. I'll eventually go back to OXO. I think that's the nicest one I've used. 

I see now that OXO has a fancy smooth-edge opener (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). I haven't seen it in person. Would be interesting to try.

The problem I have with these de-crimping openers is that I'm not convinced I'll know how to work them early in the morning, pre-coffee, or late at night, post-cocktail. 

I have one of those and it works well.

2 hours ago, paulraphael said:

After reading a few glowing reviews, I got an inauspiciously-named EZ-DUZ-IT can opener (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). It's ok, but not special, and the handle grips don't stay on. I'll eventually go back to OXO. I think that's the nicest one I've used. 

I see now that OXO has a fancy smooth-edge opener (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). I haven't seen it in person. Would be interesting to try.

The problem I have with these de-crimping openers is that I'm not convinced I'll know how to work them early in the morning, pre-coffee, or late at night, post-cocktail. 

I've had a couple of OXO can openers -- both regular style and side-cutter style -- and didn't like them. I know that sounds like heresy. The regular style one I think simply wore out, much sooner than it should have. I couldn't make the side-cutter style work easily (or at all) and got rid of it. Some unsuspecting thrifter got a chance to try it, and maybe they had better luck with it than I did. (Incidentally, I tried it in all states of wakefulness, caffeination and inebriation. Nothing helped. 😀 )

I have the EZ-DUZ-IT manual opener and like it. It isn't as entertaining as the battery-powered side-cutting type, but if I want to be quiet and don't need the "safety" edge the EZ-DUZ-IT is just fine. I notice that there are now wall-mounted crank-style openers like the one I grew up with. I'd get one, but I'm really quite pleased with my current equipment.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...

Well. Given that I split my time between a house and travel trailer and prefer not to have to move too much equipment between kitchens, I purchased another automatic safety (side-cutting) can opener. I've learned something: they aren't all the same! (Unfortunately, the one I bought last year is no longer available.)

It may not be a big deal for most people, but I was spoiled by the one I bought last summer: when the lid is free of the can, it has an automatic shutoff. The one I ordered last week was the least expensive, and it just keeps going (and going, and going...) until I press the power button to turn it off. Not a big thing, but I prefer an auto-stop feature.

Be warned.

• Like 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

It may not be a big deal for most people, but I was spoiled by the one I bought last summer: when the lid is free of the can, it has an automatic shutoff. The one I ordered last week was the least expensive, and it just keeps going (and going, and going...) until I press the power button to turn it off. Not a big thing, but I prefer an auto-stop feature.

Same issue for me. My previous ones all had auto shutoff and my current one doesn't. And I really have to press hard to stop it. Definitely a bit annoying.  

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2023 at 8:41 PM, Porthos said:

Your recommendation was enough to make me pull the trigger and order one. I like our (my) handheld Swingaway crank handle opener.  My Sweetie, however, is a leftie and finds it basically impossible to use.

I am very happy with this opener. No regrets for buying it. 

• Thanks 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Well. Now I've discovered that I really, truly want that automatic shut-off feature. I ordered this model (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) for our house, thinking it was automatic shut-off. It isn't. I'm sending it back in favor of this unit (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), which (also) claims auto shut-off. We'll see what happens, won't we?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Smithy said:

We'll see what happens, won't we?

Let us know. I am also missing the auto shut-off feature of my previous openers, but I don't know if I want to buy a replacement yet or not. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rotuts said:

@FauxPas

think of the savings if you keep there C.O.you have.

you might be able to buy a scallop , or escallop and a half .

if you are lucky.

But if the opener does not shut off think of the impact on the electric bill.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou