• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greek Delights

Rosie

Tried a new Greek restaurant in Montclair recently called Greek Delights at 14 Park St. It's an old diner with booths and a counter so don't go with five people. Started off with eggplant salad, stuffed grape leaves and spinach pie. All were very good and can be recommended. Entrees were a grilled seafood combination plate (shrimp, calamari & octopus) that came with rice and grilled zucchini ($12.95). Didn't taste it but it was reported to be very good. I had grilled calamari over Greek salad ($9.95). The calamari was delicious and not overcooked. The salad was ok--I didn't care for the feta cheese they used and there wasn't enough dressing. I would try this place again and if you are in the area they are open for lunch and dinner seven days. Prices for apps range from $4.25 to $7.95 and platters average $10.95. Didn't have dessert. You don't need reservations here. Phone 973-783-9100.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Wow....the diner lives again. :smile: i always thought this place had potential to be something really cute. i was starting to worry that mexicali rose was gonna buy it to annex their existing overflowing place.

i'll definitely check it out. hope they can make a go of it.

I eat at MR once in awhile. The food is slightly better than your average Mexican restaurant, however, I do think the place is noisy, chaotic, and over crowded. Service is quick, which is a plus. Not sure why I return to this place. Good point.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

I've eaten at Greek Delights 4-5 times since they opened - we enjoy it very much. Apparently, the owners/staff all worked at the various It's Greek To Me locations ...

They deliver; prices are reasonable; the food is tasty; and everyone who works there is extremely nice, we've found. A nice addition to the Montclair resto scene.

• 3 weeks later...

Lunch today was at Greek Delights. Love this place but don't go with more than 4 people as they have booths and a countertop. That's it. Had grilled feta with juicy fresh tomatoes and grilled pepper; grilled vegetables (eggplant, zucchini and onion) doused in a yogurt dip and wrapped in pita and my friend had grilled vegetalbes with chicken. Great place for lunch or a casual dinner.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

My 2nd visit to After Athens was about 2 weeks ag0 - as mentioned it is in the basement of an active bakery, and open Wed-Sunday. The first time Iwent, we did not have reservations, arrived at 5:30 (mid week) and had no problems being seated - 2nd visit, made reservations, (Fri. eve) 7:00 pm and needed them!

The Greek salad was in the tradition that I remembered, living in Greece a life time ago - lettuce was not an option, and a mound of tart fresh feta arrived with perfect tomatoes, oil dripping olives and lots of cucumbers. Main courses : one order of the night's special lamb chops (could have fed a small village), tender, grilled with oragano, black pepper, olive oil, my favorite is the calamari platter, grilled, fried, stuffed and baked - a main course ordered from the appetizer menu, large enough for 4 (ate it all myself) and I am drawing a blank on what the 3rd of our party had --

every thing was delicious, service was professional/friendly, the setting is like a small village on Crete, and @ 9:00 pm live music! Total price for 3 including dessert, was around $75.00

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Ate here yesterday afternoon. Very fresh Greek salad, good feta cheese, and a delcious spinach pie. Very very reasonable. Service was excellent. Would return as it is quick, tasty , and very inexpensive.

Dinner tonight

Was at Greek Delights!

Started off with humus and a potato and garlic dip served with warm pita.

Entrees were a special of grilled chicken with spinach and tomatoes--great seasonings and juicy chicken. Also had the baked eggplant with onion , parsley, garlic and tomato sauce. Delicious and the eggplant was creamy and not bitter. We shared baklava for dessert which was excellent as it wasn't overly saturated with honey. All desserts are homemade. Dinner was $40 with tax and 20% tip. BYO

Where did you dine this weekend?

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Had dinner on Saturday night at Papillion in Nutley. Quaint restaurant in Nutley on Passaic Ave. We all has St Peter's fish, which was a type of lemon sole, with a black olive salsa on top. Fish was cooked perfectly. Grilled eggplant and horse radish mashed potatoes accompanied the meal. We had a bottle of Pinot Griggio and a bottle od sparkling water. Bill came to $105.00 with tip. Coffee and desserts looked excellent, but we were going home for coffee and birthday cake. The place was full at 7 p.m. on Saturday, a good sign for the summer and the location. I would definately return sometime in the winter, when the weather was cooler. This is the second restaurant in Nutley, which has opened in an old barber shop location. Other one that I know of is Petite Cafe, which was once a hair salon.

I've eaten at Papillion several times and have always enjoyed their food.

Next time don't pass up dessert as the co-owner/chef is an excellent pastry chef. I forgot where he studied, but, he was employed as a pastry chef at The Plaza hotel in NY. He opened the dessert cafe named St. Honore in Nutley (very near the Petite Cafe) and also had a fabulous bakery right down the road near Chestnut. He sold both of those and went into business with his partner and opened Papillion. One partner/chef takes care of the food and he takes care of the desserts. Great combination with excellent results.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd revive this thread rather than burying my comments in one of the general Montclair threads...

On NY Eve, we ordered takeout from Greek Delight's and were, well, we were delighted. Sorry--couldn't resist that one! :biggrin: We didn't have a menu and didn't find one on line, so I called and found that the woman who answered the phone was not only pleasant, but helpful--a true service rarity! Ended up with the following (with apologies for spelling):

Baba ganoush

Falafel appetizer which comes with hummus

Lamb kabob platters

Grilled vegetable kabob platter

Spanikopita

Pita (in addition to those included with the platters)

LOTS of tzatziki sauce

Walked over to pick it up, and I was truly surprised by how tiny the place is, even though I've seen it from the street. But at 6:30pm, it was close to full and they were also busy filling takeout orders. They were very friendly, and the bill was $42, which I thought was very reasonable.

Everything was fresh, flavorful and not at all greasy. The lamb was tender as can be; the spanikopita was the real deal--full of spinach, onions, and feta cheese with a hint of mint that really made it sing; the falafel was scarfed down by all of us, including my 3 year-old niece; the hummus was fresh and flavorful, and the grilled vegetables were heavenly! They had that great char on them but somehow never tasted burned. By the end of the meal, we were making mini pita-wraps with tzatziki sauce and the grilled onions. YUM! Fwiw, I don't think these were falafel as we know it, but the greek version; I'll definitely ask the next time I go back. Which I certainly will. Great spot for takeout or a simple, casual meal, and they're definitely family-friendly---there were lots of families dining when we stopped in.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 1 month later...

Greek Delights is as good as ever. I use to go to Red Chimney for Gyros until they started using frozen pieces of Gyro meat last year. I need to see that stuff sliced off the big log!

Anyway, today for lunch I had a Gyro platter and some hummus. I sat in the place and had a nice fountain drink with it. The meat is awesome. Nice juicy think pieces on top of a fresh pita with grilled sweet pepper and grilled tomato topped with white onions. A generous side of tzatziki sauce too. Nice and chunky with medium garlic and cucumber.

I give them two thumbs up. Seems like they have a very brisk take out service too.

If you like authentic Greek you'd be at a loss not to make it here.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

• 8 months later...

AWFUL news, from Barista:

Diner Owner Killed

Terrible news, for Montclair, Nutley and lovers of Greek food: Wilfredo Garcia, owner of Greek Delights diner on Park Street in Montclair, was shot to death Saturday night in front of his Kingsland Ave. home in Nutley.

A sign on the door says Greek Delights will be closed until further notice, due to a sudden death in the family.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The murder is very, very suspicious. No robbery. Talk amongst investigators say it looks like a "hit."

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

It's not a rumor Rosie, unfortunately. I was at the wake last night at Biondi's in Nutley.

Very sad indeed. Here is the official release from the police department:

On Saturday evening at approximately 11:30pm, Nutley Police responded to the area of Kingsland and Darling Ave on a report of shots fired. When police arrived they found Wilfredo Garcia, age 38, a Nutley resident slumped over on the drivers side of his vehicle, apparently the victim of a gunshot wound. The Essex County Prosecutor's Office was notified and responded to the scene. Police are investigating and request anyone with information related to this case to contact them at 973-284-4940 or email us at this email address. All information will be kept confidential. - Lt. Steven L. Rogers, Nutley Police Dept.