• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stainless or Non Stick for Rice

dennis77

Stainless. You can't do the toasting thing in a rice cooker.

I've never had rice stick, at least not within memory. Is this a common problem?

Edit: now that I think about it, I'm with tommy in the "happen to use" camp. I use this particular pot because it's the right size.

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

While we are on this topic, let me give you my son's rice recipe.

John's Smokin' Rice

one part rice

2 parts water

leave the kitchen to play a video game

come back when smoke alarm blasts you out of your chair.

How can I get carbonized rice off the bottom of my stainless pot?

:sad:

sparrowgrass

My wife is Cuban and has had rice as part of her food culture for her entire life. She makes great rice but inevitably rice at the bottom gets over done in the SS pot she uses. For long time she told me rice in non-stick is not as good as rice in SS.

I bought a 3.5 quart Non-Stick from Analon -- their top of the line with Glass top. She has never made better rice than she does now. I don't have the pan from hell to clean. Life is great.

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

I use a 2 qt LeCreuset Dutch oven. It makes great rice and cleans as easily as nonstick.

Definitely the cast-iron (enameled).

I always use my grandmother's Le Creuset-style enameled iron pot for rice (I always toast it first, then add boiling water) and it comes out perfect every single time. When using this pot, I've never had trouble with too much or too little water, and after toasting and adding water white rice is done in 10 minutes or less. Totally idiot-proof compared to stainless or even nonstick/anodized.

Le Creuset?

Thanks for the tip I'll try this out.

I always found:

Non-stick - Rice basically removes the coating from the bottom like I scraped it with a dozen metal forks.

Stainless - sticks unless I do it over-wet. Then the rice sucks.

I had resorted to anodized aluminium, doesn't stick too bad but a bugger to clean.

I'll definitely try the Creuset method next and hope I don't ruin another pot.

I always found:

Non-stick - Rice basically removes the coating from the bottom like I scraped it with a dozen metal forks.

B S

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Not burning it. It doesn't stick so the clean up's just a quick swill out with a sponge. Rice is about all I use the non stick for and it's all coming off on the bottom. Looks like it's been scraped with a metal implement only it hasn't. I liked it other than that. Glass lid so you can see how it's bubbling along. pretty useful I thought.

Maybe the dog's using it while I'm out.....

I should add that I nearly always use Basmati so I swill it out first in the pan. rinsing it in about 7 changes of water. Perhaps that's where it gets dinged up?

Edited by theakston (log)