• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marrakesh

A few weeks ago a group of friends and I dined at Marrakesh. it was quite an experience to see belly dancing in conservative DC! Expensive but worth the experience. I did not enjoy the food -- a pity -- I love food from that region

Has anyone else tried it? What are your thoughts?

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I went there a few moths back. If I recall correctly, my thoughts mostly echoed yours: it was a fun experience, but pricey, and the food was not much to write home about. I too like Moroccan food, or at least other examples of it I've had, so I was pretty keenly disappointed not to enjoy the meal more. The b'stilla, in particular, stick in my memory as being inedible; it was gummy and oversweet and just plain bad.

But, yeah, the bellydancing was awesome.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

I am glad fimbul you agree. I thought I was loosing my mind when people around me kept saying how nice the food was. Other than the salad, it was really not very good. Somehow lamb drizzled with honey is not my cup of tea!

$50 bucks a head just to stop at McD's on the way home to get a burger.. not worth it!!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

This place was very good in 1984. Around $25.00 p.p.

No dancers. But we had fun: It was quite dark in the room, at the end when they served very small pastel colored rolled-up terry-cloth napkins on a platter, my dad (78yrs old then) thought that was some sort of dessert crepe and almost bit into it. That made the waiters dancing with laughter.

Peter

I'll concur with the other posters in this thread. I remember going several times as a child/teenager, a number of years ago - it was a popular place for my family to celebrate birthdays. The experience, as a whole, was delightful, but I didn't care for the food. At the time, I thought I was probably just a picky kid whose palate wasn't sophisticated enough to appreciate the food, but I've had much better food from that region since.

I don't think Marrakesh would be my choice for dinner destinations these days - there are so many restaurants in DC that I prefer.