• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bootz

Hi,

Since a few weeks there is a new (?) brand of liquers and spirits available in The Netherlands. It is called Bootz (but they claim to originate from 1630).

They are heavily promoting a line of 22 spirits and liquers. All of them in the same shape/size bottle, with the same label layout. Of those 22 there are 4 rums:

- rum (white)

- rum brown

- rum lemon

- rum orange

I think that's not bad, 4 out of 22 (there are "only" two vodka's).

The promotion included a two page ad in the largest tv-guide over here, and is also supported with freecards. A card for each drink, and on each card there is a mixing recipy. This is also their slogan: DIY mixing, easier than ever...

I have to admit, it looked nice in the store, a complete shelf with one layout of bottles. I bought the brown rum and the orange one. I suppose I know how the lemon one tastes (so that is moved to a later date) and the white one wasn't available. Prices are around 13,00 Euro a bottle of 0.7 liters.

On their internetsite Bootz is an overview of their products, and 88 mixing recipies (only in Dutch, sorry).

• 3 weeks later...

Bootz is a brand name of Bols which is now owned by Remy Cointreau. Bols is as all of you know famous for his liqueurs, to use in cocktails. Bootz used to be the name of their rum brandm and still is but they have made several line extentions, obviously.

Ed