• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baching it

Florida Jim

With Diane still in Florida and it dropping into the 40’s here in the NC mountains, I made biscuits and a pot of beef stew and invited over the lads.

With assorted cheeses and salmon pate:

2000 Vacheron, Sancerre:

a strong chalk/starch scent runs through the nose with bits of mineral, pear and grass for company/

light body, crisp and clean on the palate, lean flavors follow the nose, a bit closed, well balanced/

medium length, clean finish.

Pleasant enough, I suppose, but either too tight or too lean on the palate for me. Bob thinks a little time in the cellar will flesh it out – ‘sounds good.

2001 Rochioli, Zinfandel:

gently oaky and spicey nose with some zin-berry fruit/

medium body, a bit disjointed on the palate and a touch of dill detected in amongst berry and spice flavors/

medium finish.

Too young, I suspect, as everything is still unsettled.

With the biscuits and stew:

1998 Ogier, Cote-Rotie:

started reticent on the nose with a little green olive and some red fruit; opened with air to some fresh red and black fruit scents with a touch of ash tray and pepper/

medium body but very elegant on the palate (no bruiser, this), racy and bright flavors follow the nose with more depth than the aromatics suggest, nicely complex, concentrated and very well balanced/

long finish.

It too is a bit tight (seems to be the evening’s theme) but still graceful and lithe in the mouth; a wine of quality, without question.

2000 Dom. Les Aphillantes, CdR Cuvee des Galets:

very attractive aromas of plums, underbrush, meat, cherries and spice/

medium bodied but richer than the Ogier, open and generous with enough grip to stand it well in your cellar for several years, has that sort of salty/mineral component along with fine ripe fruit and spice flavors, concentrated and intense, very well balanced/

long slightly astringent finish.

Quite delicious (and this from a fellow who is less than enamored of Grenache); the wine most ready to drink tonight but in no danger of fading. I had not heard of this producer before but this was good enough to make a note and do a little searching.

With raw cashews:

1999 Cristom, Pinot Noir Marjorie Vnyd. (375ml):

black cherry nose with a little reduced/stemminess and some earth tones/

medium to full body, ripe and sappy pinot flavors follow the nose with plenty of concentration and intensity, a little spice and some earthy/vegetal elements seem to bring it all together, concentrated, balanced/

long finish.

Showing young and strong. The stemminess has diminished since release but has not yet disappeared. I have noticed this scent and this flavor, in many of the 99 Oregon pinots (and to a lesser degree, some of the 98 and 00’s) but I am confident that it will diminish if the wines are given sufficient time in the cellar. This experience seems to support that opinion.

I doubt I will try another of these for several years.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim you are truly a delight! I am finding in my journeys that most of 2001 out of CA is unsettled- it is one stacked vintage!!! Also a lot of weird burnt flavors/ ahhh youth...

over it