• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why don't I hear of any Seattle gullets going to Ranch 99? Is Kent too far away? I think you all are so lucky lucky to have one, it's one thing I miss terribly from Northern California. I used to bring my huggest suitcase when I'd visit friends in the bay area to stock up on stuff. I know there are a lot of Uwajimaya fans in the crowd, but Ranch 99 has a much better representation of foodstuffs from all over Asia (much less Japanese stuff, of course) and as a bonus, you don't pay the yuppie mark-up. Of course, it could also be a little scary to the uninitiated, but hey, what's life without a little risk? I haven't been to the one in Kent, but if it's anything like the ones in California you won't be sorry you went.

regards,

trillium

Actually girl chow has been a long-time advocate of 99 Ranch and we've discussed a couple different places including here most recently. You're absolutely right, its a great place

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Ah. I missed it because I don't tend to read all the threads about get togethers in Seattle (so little time, so much food near-by and all that). I really wish Portland would get a Ranch 99. Can anyone comment on how it compares to the ones in California? I'm trying to decide if it's worth a trip when I come up to visit my mum.

regards,

trillium

Hey Trillium! Thanks for mentioning my favorite market these days. You can find another previous discussion of 99 Ranchhere.

I can't compare it to other 99 Ranch markets outside Kent, but it's a great place for a bargain and their selection is fabulous. Still, the smaller grocery stores in the ID usually are the cheapest and best place to buy. :biggrin:

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Indeed, Kent is too far away for me to go to 99 Ranch on a regular basis. In addition to Uwajimaya, there are many grocery stores in Seattle's Chinatown (or Int'l District) that are far more conveniently located for me.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Thanks for the link, it was fun to read about you going to all the same places we go in the ID when we're there with my mum. It sounds like your Kent 99 Ranch (my friends and I always call it Ranch 99, I have no idea why) is a little smaller then the ones I've been too before. The one is south SF I used to go to was double the size of Uwajimaya, but then I haven't been to the Uwajimaya in Seattle in years. 99 Ranch used to make really great fish balls in house (ok, stop snickering you people) and carried certain brands we couldn't find other places (like the stinky red tofu with the twin brothers on it), or had dried goods of better quality (it's really hard to find dried shrimp that aren't dyed or lap cheong that hangs with a string, not the packaged kind) so that was the draw. I don't think they could ever replace the little mom and pop shops, though! Those are still the best.

regards,

trillium