• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Laurentius

Laurentius

9 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Any ideas?

Welcome to the club.  I think you're probably right that food gunk is the culprit.  And based on my similar experience, it's probably at or near the head.  Maybe there's some age- hardening of oil at the motor end, though.

I have only two suggestions if you've already opened the shaft sleeve:  (1) an ultrasonic cleaner; or (2) an immersible cleaning solution such as Dunk-It, sold for cleaning guns without disassembly.

You might also try lubricating the shaft bearings with food-safe grease, and /or backing off the fasteners that might be binding the shaft from turning freely.

Good luck.

Laurentius

Laurentius

9 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Any ideas?

Welcome to the club.  I think you're probably right that food gunk is the culprit.  And based on my similar experience, it's probably at or near the head.

I have only two suggestions if you've already opened the shaft sleeve:  (1) an ultrasonic cleaner; or (2) an immersible cleaning solution such as Dunk-It, sold for cleaning guns without disassembly.

You might also try lubricating the shaft bearings with food-safe grease, and /or backing off the fasteners that might be binding the shaft from turning freely.

Good luck.