• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Water purifiers in developing countries

Has anyone seen one of these?

PXL_20240711_144750276.thumb.jpg.4c174809bc82495c3b36919fe4d7f78f.jpg

PXL_20240711_144808110.thumb.jpg.dd1506643472fc8a3c042fe4d430249a.jpg

Evidently, it's a water purifier to make previously undrinkable tap water drinkable.  This is in our hotel in Jakarta.  Inside is a carbon filter and UV which is used in the output. The company claims 99.9999% reduction of bacteria.

I don't know what the hotel is filling it with, but the output tastes fine and I haven't thrown up yet!

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Has anyone seen one of these?

Yes. I've seen them here in China, Vietnam and Laos. Quite common. Never used one, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 minutes ago, cdh said:

Does this mean that they've gotten UV LEDs that work as sterilizers going?  Or is there a fluorescent tube in the machine that is going to have a limited viable lifespan?

Those I've seen contain fluorescent tubes. They are easily replaced and widely available.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 3 weeks later...

UVC is good for biological contaminants in "clear" water.  UVC strength, time, and water volume matter.  Carbon is used mainly for taste reasons but, has some efficacy for chemicals mainly but, it can catch some limited heavy metal contamination as well.  Carbon that isn't changed frequently is just a placebo though.

If you are traveling somewhere where the water quality is questionable and you don't want to lug around a good 'mechanical" filter or appropriate purification tabs, the newer UVC water bottles or bottle inserts are a good way to go.

Personally, I use a Grayl "bottle" for this type of thing with good mechanical filtration.

Most UV flashlights are UVB so it is not even remotely good for this type of thing if anyone is curious.  You can get UVC flashlights but, due to the risks from inappropriate use, they are not easy to find and purchase. 

Modern UVC LEDs are efficient and work very well in lots of applications.  If you want to learn more about flashlights and LEDs, Reddit r/flashlights is a good place to start but be prepared for a lot of options and a ton of information, often in conflict due to different needs from different people (sort of like asking someone what is the best shoe???  Runner, Welder, school teacher, soldier, firefighter, ....).

Edited by Sid Post (log)