• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

C00kman

C00kman

Hi all,

I wanted to get some expert opinion on this NYC staple. There are recipes online but none really capture the essence of the dish. It is just like pizza, a lot of people claim they have cracked the code but recipees always seem to be lacking 

It consists of either lamb gyro meat or sauteed chicken on a pita flat-bread or over rice usually accompanied by some salad and "white sauce" (a tangy mayo-based sauce) and hot sauce. 

Has anyone stumbled on a spot on recipe for this? I once asked the a vendor for the recipee and he shot eye daggers at me. I moved away from NY and I need a way to get my fix. 

please help. 

halalcart-credit-marcosespinoza-02.jpg

C00kman

C00kman

Hi all,

I wanted to get some expert opinion on this NYC staple. There are recipes online but none really capture the essence of the dish. It is just like pizza, a lot of people claim they have cracked the code but recipees always seem to be lacking 

It consists of either lamb gyro meat or sauteed chicken on a pita flat-bread or over rice usually accompanied by some salad and "white sauce" (a tangy mayo-based sauce) and hot sauce. 

Has anyone stumbled on a spot on recipe for this? I once asked the a vendor for the recipee and he shot eye daggers at me. I moved away from NY and I need a way to get my fix. 

please help. 

halalcart-credit-marcosespinoza-02.jpg