• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Puzzle of prized white truffle finally yields to science

liuzhou

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

No one has been able to farm the rare, expensive fungus on a commercial scale – until now.

Here

Thanks. I don’t know how I feel about this. I have never had a shaving of truffle and never wish to (the smell of truffle oil makes me quite ill and I do know it’s not the same thing). But when something that was once rare becomes readily available there is a fundamental shift no less disturbing than when it goes the other way and we lose access to something previously abundant. Just saying. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had no idea that the large percent of black lones were "cutivated". Doubt they'd spend so much research time & money if the market were not strong. Thanks.

I hope they are successful.  The smallish yield of 26 truffles and the fact that the location is a closely held secret suggests it will be some time before they really reach "commercial scale."  I believe their flavor fades after they are picked so even if they become more readily available than now, enjoying them at their best may still be a treat.  Sounds promising though!

I don't care for black truffles at all.  Like @Anna N, I avoid anything "truffle-flavored" like the plague and never order any dish that mentions truffle oil but I find the flavor of fresh white truffles pretty magical.  My introduction was in Asti, near the peak of truffle season in the fall.  We were finishing up a late dinner at a little neighborhood restaurant when a truffle hunter came in with a big box of truffles.  He just passed through a corner of the dining room on his way into the kitchen but the aroma of the truffles was absolutely intoxicating!  I hadn't splashed out for the truffle up-charge on that evening but resolved to try them at the next opportunity.  

This photo (poor quality iPhone photo of a computer printout) was taken a few nights later at Ristorante Il Cascinale Nuovo in Isola d'Asti.  It's a bit swankier than the first place, I believe they have a Michelin star,  but I had to get that truffle shaved over my pasta. 

2CF74347-FD59-4707-BF7D-819AC215F567_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.66dbf654d796439446fa42378f71e323.jpeg

I think the maître d' is smiling nervously because of how much extra truffle he shaved onto my plate for the sake of the photo! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

@blue_dolphinwhat a lovely story. Thank you so much for sharing. But it is magical moments such as that that may become rarer as truffles become more abundant.  As you note that could be many years in the future. I just get philosophical about such things occasionally. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Truffle oil is garbage. Most doesn't even contain truffles or, if it does, only in microscopic amounts.

Avoid Chinese truffles, too. They are truffles (usually), but the lowest quality.

Amen to all of this