• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Niagara Falls US-side restaurants?

quiet1

My SO and I are on an RV ramble and will find ourselves in the Niagara Falls area in a couple of days. Are there any places we should really try to pick up a meal from? US side only due to Covid restrictions at the border. (Last I heard us Americans have to keep our germs on this side. 🤣 Which given vaccination rates in some states I quite understand.)

Failing restaurants any farmer’s markets or other interesting shops?

17 minutes ago, quiet1 said:

My SO and I are on an RV ramble and will find ourselves in the Niagara Falls area in a couple of days. Are there any places we should really try to pick up a meal from? US side only due to Covid restrictions at the border. (Last I heard us Americans have to keep our germs on this side. 🤣 Which given vaccination rates in some states I quite understand.)

Failing restaurants any farmer’s markets or other interesting shops?

The three times I've visited Niagara falls we ate in Canada.  Perhaps if you say 'eh' convincingly enough they will let you in.  How well can you swim?

Roy Andersson's most recent film, About Endlessness, has a dinner scene near the end that mentions visiting Niagara falls.  How delicious to hear Niagara falls pronounced in Swedish.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The three times I've visited Niagara falls we ate in Canada.  Perhaps if you say 'eh' convincingly enough they will let you in.  How well can you swim?

Not well enough to convince anyone I’m just a beaver that got a bit lost. Or a moose. Do moose swim?

It can’t be more disappointing than our recent stop in Erie where the only place we could find that was open near us was a chain pizza location. Not even a greasy spoon diner sort of thing to be had. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, quiet1 said:

Not well enough to convince anyone I’m just a beaver that got a bit lost. Or a moose. Do moose swim?

It can’t be more disappointing than our recent stop in Erie where the only place we could find that was open near us was a chain pizza location. Not even a greasy spoon diner sort of thing to be had. 

Erie is a wasteland for restaurants.  Go on Open Table...there's nothing. Third largest city in PA for crying out loud.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

Erie is a wasteland for restaurants.  Go on Open Table...there's nothing. Third largest city in PA for crying out loud.

Yep, that’s what we found. I was really surprised.

Coincidentally, a few days ago, I threw out visiting the US side to which my wife (who's been a few times, me never) said emphatically there's no point in going if the Canadian side isn't open.  Good luck, hope you find something!

That wasn't chicken

43 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Yes, moose swim very well.  They regularly swim across Lake Okanagan in BC, Canada.  We almost ran one over with our boat a few years back.

I can imagine that wouldn’t be very good for the moose OR the boat.

6 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Coincidentally, a few days ago, I threw out visiting the US side to which my wife (who's been a few times, me never) said emphatically there's no point in going if the Canadian side isn't open.  Good luck, hope you find something!

So far everything interesting is “oh, wait, Canada.” But we didn’t really plan it so much as decide to just follow along the edge of Lake Erie and that’s about where we will have to turn around. 

Ă—
Ă—