• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help Please! We need some quick ideas for ground beef!

Tropicalsenior

22 hours ago, Porthos said:

Ground Beef and Onions in White Sauce over a Baked Potato or Noodles

We had this sometimes growing up. Mom called it hamburger gravy. Usually served over white bread or biscuits. I never thought about it, but probably something she made when money and time were tight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

SOS.  Tart it up with mushroom powder, a touch of madeira or port, a dab of dijon, maybe a mashed-in anchovy.  Spoon it over a choux .  1 pan meal, not a casserole.  Many uses.  Freezes nicely. 

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Delicious 1

Ground Beef and Onions in White Sauce over a Baked Potato or Noodles posted by Rotuts (couldn't get the quote thingy to work)

I think that sounds as if it has real possibilities for us...   And I assume that lemniscate was referring to this recipe when he spoke of tarting it up.   That I would do also.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I wish I'd had some of Marcella's ragu in the freezer last night.  Haven't made it in years but will, taking a cue from Duvel -- in a very large quantity.  The Leberkäse looks like a lot of fun to try, too.

I made Biff à la Lindström recently for the first time.  Didn't take a picture because I thought I could do better.  I really liked it.

So Swedish Meatballs are really Turkish and Swedish Hamburger Steak is really Russian?

Per the suggestion in the link I skimped a bit on the beets.  I wouldn't next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.  I made kimas, a Greek meat sauce, thereby disposing of two pounds of ground beef.  Recipe is from Cooking with Loula:  Greek Recipes from My Family to Yours by Alexandra Stratou.  Do not buy the Kindle version, there are no page numbers.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks everyone.  I made kimas, a Greek meat sauce, thereby disposing of two pounds of ground beef.  Recipe is from Cooking with Loula:  Greek Recipes from My Family to Yours by Alexandra Stratou.  Do not buy the Kindle version, there are no page numbers.

Looks delicious.

I'm just about to make my Hamburger and Cabbage Casserole....

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

42 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Hamburger and Cabbage

I made some bierocks today with hamburger and cabbage.

20210704_114259.thumb.jpg.bbbf856be06d5fc636d3dd3faa6a1b3c.jpg

They would have been a lot better but I didn't have enough filling. 

I forgot how much cabbage Cooks down and I could have put double the cabbage in them. I think that this particular one got the least of the lot.20210704_114604.thumb.jpg.606f9a87d101be36b0e9200bd5c3e2e3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks everyone

I hope that this gives you a lot of ideas to use up all that hamburger. I got tons of ideas and I have already tried a couple. They were great and they're going right into my meal rotation schedules.

• Like 1

I'll add to this good collection BETTY CROCKER IMPOSSIBLE PIES.     There are several dozen versions, each with a taste twist, all based on Bisquik and pantry staples.   For instance Cheeseburger impossible pie.    Google for variations.    I remember the pizza one to be particularly winning

eGullet member #80.

21 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I'll add to this good collection BETTY CROCKER IMPOSSIBLE PIES.     There are several dozen versions, each with a taste twist, all based on Bisquik and pantry staples.   For instance Cheeseburger impossible pie.    Google for variations.    I remember the pizza one to be particularly winning

I've tried several of the quiche recipes and all were quite easy as well as tasty.

I've got to put in a bid for bacon barbecue meat loaf.

Two pounds of ground beef, panade made from two slices of bread soaked with half-and-half, spices of your choice (I use garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt), Worcestershire sauce, a couple of eggs. Moosh it up together and pat it into a 9 x 12 rectangle on waxed paper, foil or parchment that has been topped with a half-pound of bacon, laid edge-to-edge. Brown remaining one-half pound of bacon and crumble. Top rectangle with a decent spritz of your favorite barbecue sauce, and spread it into a thin coating. Sprinkle with chopped bacon. You can add some grated cheese, but I generally don't.

Using the paper or foil, roll up from a short side, jelly roll fashion; ease it into a loaf pan, if you're cooking in the oven. Bake 45 minutes at 325 degrees; remove and tip pan over a container and drain as much fat as you can without losing the meat loaf. Top with more barbecue sauce and return to oven, increasing heat to 400, for 30 more minutes.

This is really better if you cook it in the smoker; in that case, you can dispense with the pan altogether, and just gently roll the loaf off the paper and onto the smoker rack. Smoke at 300F for about two hours. 

Works best with thick-cut country-style bacon. I like using Wright's.

This thing is GOOD.

• Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com