Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with leftover rice?


cteavin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I was hoping you all had some creative suggestions on what to with leftover rice. Typically, I form it into onigiri or fold in sautéed veggies (aka mazegohan). Sometimes I'll fold it into croquets. I have have a pot from dinner leftover and I'm thinking about what to do with it. Any suggestions? What do you do with your leftover rice? 

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Soup? Like chicken rice, among others. I am planning on halupki soup soon, and leftover rice would work great for those kinf of soup dishes. The rice would get mixed in with ground beef with seasonings to form rice meatballs, The simmered with cabbage and stewed tomatoes and other ingredients.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fried rice, rice pilaf, stuffed bell peppers, dirty rice. 

  • Like 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All recs are solid 

 

 

I have a trashy thing I do with leftover rice.   Warm slightly and add a dollop of mayo and grocery store yellow curry powder and thawed frozen green peas.  Trashy as all get out but I can’t stop eating it once I get  started 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

All recs are solid 

 

 

I have a trashy thing I do with leftover rice.   Warm slightly and add a dollop of mayo and grocery store yellow curry powder and thawed frozen green peas.  Trashy as all get out but I can’t stop eating it once I get  started 

 

 

Not sure why you consider it "Trashy" but if i am being honest, it does sound gross. I mean i like mayo, but not a Dollop's worth. A Dollop of sour cream i could do.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

All recs are solid 

 

 

I have a trashy thing I do with leftover rice.   Warm slightly and add a dollop of mayo and grocery store yellow curry powder and thawed frozen green peas.  Trashy as all get out but I can’t stop eating it once I get  started 

 

 

For me the rice would need to be warm not hot, and I would add a bit of soy sauce or nuoc mam and some crushed roasted peanuts. (always in my pantry) Cucumber quick pickle on the side. All things already usually in fridge. Comfort food Oh and a few drops of hot mustard which is also always present. Mayo in the warm is nice sauce to me.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2021 at 5:50 PM, FeChef said:

Not sure why you consider it "Trashy" but if i am being honest, it does sound gross. I mean i like mayo, but not a Dollop's worth. A Dollop of sour cream i could do.

It’s taste really good :))))

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2021 at 3:29 PM, Darienne said:

I freeze it and we eat it another day.  

Rice does not freeze well at all. I made a bunch of sushi rolls, wrapped them in plastic wrap, and aluminum foild and the rice still got freezer burned and gross. Texture was horrible.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2021 at 4:38 PM, patti said:

Fried rice, rice pilaf, stuffed bell peppers, dirty rice. 

 

Yes, for fried rice, leftover frozen rice is actually easier to work with. I'm guessing you're ( @cteavin )starting with Japanese rice (grains stick together, somewhat). After you freeze it, the grains will not stick together and it will be easier to toss and stir in your frying pan.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2021 at 4:52 PM, scubadoo97 said:

It’s taste really good :))))

Rice blends well with mayo, sour cream or vinaigrette type dressings.    Its starches blend with the oils and creates a luscious coating, seasoned as you please.   All kinds of cooked and raw veggies add flavor and color.    Consider it a base for Russian salad, subbing rice for potato.    For tabbouleh, subbing rice for bulgar.   Or mac salad with rice for mac, a no brainer with orzo salads.

  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only good results I have with leftover rice are when I leave it in the Zojirushi overnight and have it for dinner the next evening.

 

Last week I reheated leftover paella.  The rice was acceptable.  Acceptable, but I would not say good.  Rice is like a woman.  In the words of singer/songwriter Mary Gauthier:  "It's a natural fact, once she's really gone she can't come back."  "Ain't no mercy in her soul when a woman goes cold."

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The only good results I have with leftover rice are when I leave it in the Zojirushi overnight and have it for dinner the next evening.

 

Last week I reheated leftover paella.  The rice was acceptable.  Acceptable, but I would not say good.  Rice is like a woman.  In the words of singer/songwriter Mary Gauthier:  "It's a natural fact, once she's really gone she can't come back."  "Ain't no mercy in her soul when a woman goes cold."

 

 

I'd say rice is like a cigar.

For the same reasons

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GaroldCrash22 said:

There are many options for what to do with rice . I personally make pilaf with it.

 

Proper pilaf is not made with leftover rice. The point is to cook the rice in a stock with spices so that it soaks up the flavours. Pre-cooked rice won't do that.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2021 at 10:48 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The only good results I have with leftover rice are when I leave it in the Zojirushi overnight and have it for dinner the next evening.

 

I find plain rice reheats just fine in the steam girl.

 

And I really have no problems reheating other rice dishes in the same (but I only eat them for lunch!).

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

 

I find plain rice reheats just fine in the steam girl.

 

And I really have no problems reheating other rice dishes in the same (but I only eat them for lunch!).

 

Does the reheated rice really have as good a texture and flavor as rice held at temperature in the Zojirushi?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

Does the reheated rice really have as good a texture and flavor as rice held at temperature in the Zojirushi?

 

 

I can't compare since I've never held rice in the Zo for longer than 2 or 3 hours. But it's surprisingly ok. Possibly some rices do better this way (like maybe Basmati?).

  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...