• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The incredible amazing Chefmate saucepan and more

Fat Guy

I finally got around to picking up the stockpot trio and have started playing with it. I am curious about others' experience. The pots are attractively-designed. The tempered glass lids are particularly servicable. As I cooked pasta this evening the tidal wave of boiling water and pasta about to breach the lid was fun to watch. The base is solid and strong, though I have never been a fan of the thin stainless steel siding. My trusty old aluminum Leyse and Toro-ware still has its uses. In that regard, have any of you ever gotten beaten aluminum saucepans? I use to buy them as wedding presents, but they seem to have gone off the market.

One potential weak point in the Chefmate appears to be the seam of the metal rim around the lid. That looks like the first point to wear through, but it will probably be a few years before that happens.

I did want to learn more about how they cook, for ahwile we were stuck in metallurgy. (PS Thanks to Jason for helping me rediscovery this thread).

I want to return to this thread and see if any of you have actually cooked with these things. I just got back from my local Target where I took a look at them. I am impressed but a little confused. They had the copper bottom and the all stainless 3-ply. The 3-ply were a bit more expensive but I THINK they have the aluminum core all the way up the side of the pan. If you have cooked with them please say which ones. I am thinking of playing Easter Bunny to my kids. They are getting into cooking but not quite ready for an All-Clad investment.

They didn't have the stock pots but I looked at them on the web site. Oooooo... My Amex card is itching. (Just what I need... More big pots!)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I got the 2 qt. tri-plad saucepan (not the copper clad) and have used it for pasta sauce several times. No complaints. One evening I left it on medium-low heat, meaning to drop it to low, but forgetting about it. When I finally remembered to check I was afraid there was going to be black tomato glue decorating the inside, but it had just reduced further without sticking. I am impressed so far. For your kids, you might want to check out the full set of seven (?) pieces for $99, I think it was.

I have not tried any of the stockpots yet, but that's next. They don't have a full line at the nearest Target.

Any other reports?

Thanks, Richard. The tomato sauce is a real test. I am thinking about that set for the kids. (I just wish they had a saute pan. Oh well... for 99 bucks, what is to complain about?) Since they live in Chicago and DC, internet shopping is the way to get the Easter Bunny hopping.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

My hesitancy on this product is the glass lid. I really dislike cooking with Chantal cookware because of the lids. They create a huge mess, with all the bubbling and spitting they do. Metal lids with a drip ring are far superior.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I just snagged a set of the stock pots at Target in Kemah (Texas, bay area). They didn't have them a couple of weeks ago. They have been getting them in only to see them fly right out so I suggest you call first. Saves on the shipping.

joiei... I have a pot that I got a couple of years ago at Bed Bath & Beyond. I will swear it is the same manufacturer. It has a pasta strainer and a steamer basket and is about the same diameter as the 8 qt. but a little taller. The point is, it has the same lid design. It sits down in the lip and (probably more importantly) it has a grommeted vent hole. It doesn't have the spitting problem you are referring to.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 1 month later...

Do the ChefMate Multipot and stockpots have a vent hole in the lids? I found a Tramontini multipot that appears to be identical at Wal-Mart, but it has no vent hole --- I did not notice until I got it home. I'll return it if the ChefMate has a vent. Anyone?

Mine have vent holes.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

The set of three Chefmate stockpots are on the clearance shelf at Target. I didn't check and see how much the price was reduced. None of the other chefmate items were on clearance.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I decided on the all stainless for the sets I sent to my kids. The aluminum core is all the way up the sides, supposedly. They are reporting to me that their pots cook like their friends' All-Clad.

I saw the multi-pot on the shelf at my Target but not on the web site. My Target is in Kemah TX. You might ask someone at Target if they have any in the back or if they are out and expecting to get more. I find that their stocking practices don't always keep up.

The multi-pot is really cool. If I didn't alredy have one almost like it I would have bought it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Thanks again, snowangel. I picked up the Chefmate "Professional" (tri-ply clad bottom) three stockpot set for just under $50! They had Chefmate "Essential" multipots, too, but they were not aluminum clad, and not (internal) three ply --- just plain stainless. I have another old thin stainless multipot for pasta and steaming that is vented, so the Tramontina may go back to Wal-Mart due to no vent.

Fifi, was the multi-pot at your Target thin stainless or aluminum clad or three ply?

• 10 months later...

So...Just found this thread thanks to the egci saucemaking course....how did these work out?

Thanks,

Fay Jai

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

I generally use the 3 qt. sauce pan to make rice -- the nice thick bottom helps it cook evenly without burning. I have a nice KitchenAid Saucier that I use for actual sauces. I love the 16-quart stockpot, but that's not for sale online, the 8 and 12 quart ones are though.

B0000E2PW7.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Chefmate 12-quart pot, currently $25

Chefmate 8-quart pot, currently $35 (yes, more than the 12-quart)

Chefmate 8-pc. Cookware Set, currently $100

I love my stock pots. They have a nice heavy bottom and I don't get browning sludge like I used to in the thin cheapo that I "threw out in the yard". My kids are still reporting rave reviews on the cook sets I bought them.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

To Quote one of my favorite movie charectors, (Played by this years Best Actor Winner Sean Penn)..."Awesome! Totally Awesome!" I will look 2morrow at Target 4 them!

Thanks!

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

The items that Target sells online can be ordered via Amazon -- they call them "Target.com selections delivered by Amazon.com." So those who use Rachel's links above will generate a small commission for eGullet.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Just a reminder that ChefMate has several lines of cookware, so read the detail in the descriptions at Amazon. Some of the stockpots are ss with no aluminum disk bottom. Also some of the skillets and pans have aluminum/copper disks and some have a try-ply construction. I am fairly sure the disk bottom pans have much more aluminum in them.

I have one quart, 2 1/2 qt and 4 qt sauce pans (all with lids) and use them all the time. These are the tri-ply design. Also have the set of 8, 12, and 16 qt. stockpots with disk bottoms and vented glass lids. A great deal at $69 as I recall.

Amazon offers free shipping for ChefMate orders over $25 I believe.

I just looked at Rachel's links and the Amazon descriptions are not very informative. You may want to email them to find out what's what. For example, the 8qt disk bottom stock pot with both a steamer insert and a pasta insert typically go for $35 in the stores, so that may be what they are selling in the 8 qt., but you can't tell -- their description suggests it has no inserts and no disk bottom.

I generally use the 3 qt. sauce pan to make rice -- the nice thick bottom helps it cook evenly without burning. I have a nice KitchenAid Saucier that I use for actual sauces. I love the 16-quart stockpot, but that's not for sale online, the 8 and 12 quart ones are though.

B0000E2PW7.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Chefmate 12-quart pot, currently $25

Chefmate 8-quart pot, currently $35 (yes, more than the 12-quart)

Chefmate 8-pc. Cookware Set, currently $100

Drop down a little further on the same Amazon page and you'll see what appears to be the same 8-pc set, though with copper bottoms, for $80 (huh?)

Note that one reviewer said that the bottoms were copper coated

The stockpots don't have the copper bottoms to my knowledge. But we use one about a dozen times a month on a 18,500 BTU burner and haven't killed it yet.

The covered saucepan that we have has a copper bottom and is also a really well made peice.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host