• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vintage Cooking Booklets and Pamphlets

David Ross

I pulled out this little booklet, 3 x 5, and at the bottom saw "Sigman Food Stores."  I probably got it at a local vintage shop.  It was normal back in the days for these booklets to be printed by a host company, in this case Accent, Mazola Corn Oil, Reynolds Wrap and the National Broiler Council.  A quick search shows that Sigman Food Stores was located in Yakima, WA, in the south central part of our state.  They eventually expanded to Walla Walla and Spokane, which is where this little booklet found a home.  So ironic that I bought this years ago not knowing or researching the local history.  The illustration is classic 60's bbq.  I remember my Mother always having Accent in the spice rack, but never really  knew what she used it for.  The recipes are also classic 60s, with an emphasis on the bbq spit, (something I still use today).

Cookout Booklet #1.jpeg

Outdoor booklet #2.jpeg

Outdoor Cooking #3.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Well this is an interesting cooking booklet.  I've had it in my collection ever since Father brought it home in 1981.  He worked for the Oregon State Dept. of Agriculture as the State Liason to Commodity Commissions.  One of the biggest Commissions he worked with was the Oregon Cattleman's Association.  They regularly put out brochures, booklets and pamphlets about beef and cooking with beef.  This was before the "Beef It's What's for Dinner" campaign took full charge.  This booklet wouldn't be something we'd see today.  Sponsored by Phillip Morris Tabacco Company, they play with the old theme of cowboys and the "Marlboro" man which was one of their signature advertising campaigns.  

Marlboro Chuckwagon Cooking.jpegMarlboro Chuckwagon Cooking 2.jpeg

Marlboro Chuckwagon Cooking #3.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I guess if you smoked Marlboros, a rump roast was just fine.

Yeah and tough as all get out

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I don't know if this is a book or a booklet; Ive only seen the cover and that it's from 1962. But I know I want a copy!

FB768d5VEAATshK.png.4b3959d89dd4397a30f2d043f00ffaaa.png

Avaiable in limited quantites from Omnivore Books, San Francisco.

I have that book! I have a hectic day today, but will post a few pix from it when I get a chance.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

@Maison Rustique, what a delightful book! The names of the dishes alone are a riot, but the illustrations you've shown really pull it all together. Have you cooked from it?

Would you be willing to show a photo of the "Persimmon Sponge" pages? I've a plethora of persimmons and wonder whether this might be a recipe to try.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

@Maison Rustique, what a delightful book! The names of the dishes alone are a riot, but the illustrations you've shown really pull it all together. Have you cooked from it?

Would you be willing to show a photo of the "Persimmon Sponge" pages? I've a plethora of persimmons and wonder whether this might be a recipe to try.

@Smithy I have not cooked from it. And I'd be happy to show the Persimmon Sponge pages. Give me some time. I'm running a sick cat around today.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

I can read it, thanks. Thank you also for including that hilarious precarious illustration!

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 year later...

Dropped into a Goodwill yesterday to try to find something to read during a solo lunch and came up with this little treasure:

1-IMG_3663.thumb.jpg.5e2b3aad949263916005bb6662f31808.jpg

Published in 1958, it has the expected goofy photos:

1-IMG_3666.jpg.7aa5675b7f028d8f482c76d9d877d793.jpg

But what I found fascinating were the wonderful, quirky illustrations:

1-IMG_3664.thumb.jpg.5cb904c67ba002f2c2b815eb87096113.jpg

1-IMG_3665.jpg.5c8eb3afa1c8012c8f15b7c16ad3a0d8.jpg

1-IMG_3667.jpg.1b6ba9646183c5627f7889a538e76c86.jpg

1-IMG_3668.thumb.jpg.02636b7d90ce7fe4e3274c46531c568e.jpg

They actually prompted me to do a little research on the illustrator.  His name was Charles Harper and his work is still selling for a good bit of money.  Lots of interesting, imaginative stuff in his online gallery.

The recipes are about what you'd expect for the time - cans of beef broth rendered Japanese by the addition of a raw mushroom or spinach leaf, creamed everything-you-can-think-of, etc.  The illustrations really are the stand-outs here.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Those are wonderful drawings! I am surprised at the idea of painting a mural on a barn back in 1958, but the refrigerators to Inuit is quite witty for a "Refrigerated" section. Great find! 

By the way: what is "Grated and cubed cheese" in the Refrigerated section? Is it intended as a specific course, or simply an advance preparation of an ingredient?

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

Those are wonderful drawings! I am surprised at the idea of painting a mural on a barn back in 1958, but the refrigerators to Inuit is quite witty for a "Refrigerated" section. Great find! 

You may not remember the old Popeye cartoon where Popeye is selling refrigerators to Inuit.  As always things were saved by spinach.  The phrase "like selling iceboxes to Eskimos" means something not likely to work.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 6/8/2023 at 8:19 AM, Smithy said:

By the way: what is "Grated and cubed cheese" in the Refrigerated section? Is it intended as a specific course, or simply an advance preparation of an ingredient?

That section has ideas of things to keep "on hand" to make meal prep easier.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...