• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

Marinated local scallops in a big, heavy goblet. The restaurant doesn't have ceviche on the menu so I tried this.

Ih2JxVb.jpg

The same scallops taken out of the goblet

ay2zKKC.jpg

ROkDl1A.jpg

Fish with octopus

xOKlJAL.jpg

Flan that's not drenched in caramel, much too hard and far to sweet. Someone else ate it for me.

ytPmpUB.jpg

It's osprey mating season here. This one with a big itch was seen from my table.

giZPspr.jpg

This is the animal I was talking about:

k6mPcIz.jpg

From the tour yesterday: mother and calf were gliding silently right next to the boat and on my side. It was an amazing and unexpected moment (didn't see them coming, they were so quiet).

FYk2YVm.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

And Pacifico Beer to top it all off.  To me it runs a close second to Dos XXs.  If you hop over to the mainland from the tip of Baja, you will be in Mazatlan, home of Pacifico.   For more adventure take the ferry across instead of flying.  Mazatlan is know as the Shrimp Capital of Mexico.  Shrimp and beer on the beach?  Life doesn't get much better than that for me.

• Like 2

Leftover pan seared tuna (cold), salad of marinated carrots with diced fresh pineapple, little minced celery and scallion with vinaigrette.

IMG_20200127_120041.jpg

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

3 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Lunch today was a tin  of sardines with a big squirt of sriracha.  

Not worthy of a picture.  Believe me!

Neither was my leftover bean soup with a healthy squirt of sriracha, but it sure was good. I couldn't figure out why it was so much hotter and more flavorful than I remembered the original soup, until my DH admitted he'd dosed it with what he calls "Sri Lanka" sauce. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

A (seafood) taco shack next to the road:

UNmtJKS.jpg

bh3px4P.jpg

ZhEmQLO.jpg

fbl6why.jpg

cVIggjE.jpg

Would rather be here than in NZ or OZ. You are looking at a novice taco eater's happy meal. Btw, the bottled hot sauces are worthless. After only 2 days I started asking if they have fresh jalapeño or habañeros.

TcpDdNS.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

We have found that many Mexican places have hot sauces which they call. "Not for Gringos" which they will bring to the table when asked.  But

beware, they will all hover around to watch your reaction to the first taste of them.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

We have found that many Mexican places have hot sauces which they call. "Not for Gringos" which they will bring to the table when asked.  But

beware, they will all hover around to watch your reaction to the first taste of them.  

Once I was dining at a local Mexican restaurant with my family.  The establishment had a counter and four or five small tables.  The owner, from Oaxaca, was standing behind the counter cutting a pepper.  I asked him what it was.  He said it was a pepper for his dinner, and would I like to try a piece?  Of course.

He went around to all the patrons, saying "She ate it, she ate it."

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Homemade Gyoza ...

The funny thing is that regardless how many you make, there will never be a nice picture of plated ones just before eating, neither will there be any leftovers 🤔 

A3F9E685-0340-43F8-AB48-5051795E35BF.thumb.jpeg.5e25c927bf61861efb8c15010f0dbdac.jpeg 

3B8BD813-1CCE-4233-9CF0-D5C787DB5E87.thumb.jpeg.81fd0efe459f88c7599c7264100c08bd.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 4

9786C562-FF18-48DD-8371-DA0D4FDD9762.thumb.jpeg.7deeacfc579b19b30ada56a6be5ca425.jpeg

Shrimp, broccoli, sugar snaps in a garlic sauce.  Be glad we are separated by light-years from one another!

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A big late lunch after a full day excursion to the middle of Baja (Sur) to see giant ancient cactuses and prehistoric cave paintings.

ay2NZmZ.jpg

I've been looking for clams. They are only found in this "campechana" (mixed coctel of octopus, scallops and clams).

qknkudB.jpg

aWTtkfV.jpg

Fresh local red lobster. The most expensive item on the menu.

1qsYdr7.jpg

The lobster on this mixed plate is a big smaller.

V45XEHE.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Glad I ate seafood tacos so often last week! Just got to San Ignacio yesterday and there's almost nothing like that here in this tiny isolated commune in the middle of nowhere. There 3 places in San Ignacio to eat very simple food and it's expensive. I had it good in Guerrero Negro.

3aph2DK.jpg

SIwUAhi.jpg

Where I ate the tacos (photo taken at 8am one day)

xTBzVBX.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

F4F8CC63-CE62-41A8-836F-C296D45FF265.thumb.jpeg.f4900c0839cceb97d34f91d234da9e98.jpeg

Roasted root vegetables over romaine lettuce with a spicy peanut sauce and very lightly toasted slivered almonds. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Aahhh most of my guys are from Michoacan or Jalisco  and their ex pat population is significant here. The ones who grew up with next to nothing recount mom making quesadillas just with squash blossoms. Cheese was too expensive and animal protein was a special occasion. . Visually enjoying eating alongside you.

• Like 2