• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peeling the cellophane from English cucumbers

Darienne

Where I live in Ontario, English cucumbers come wrapped tightly in cellophane and it's such a pain unwrapping them.  Nothing dramatic...just a nuisance.

I wondered if anyone had some clever hack to get the job done. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I cut the end off then slide a paring knife between the skin and the wrapper lengthwise slicing thru the cellophane.

Here they're wrapped in plastic but the method would work either way.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lindag said:

I cut the end off then slide a paring knife between the skin and the wrapper lengthwise slicing thru the cellophane.

Here they're wrapped in plastic but the method would work either way.

That is what I do, @lindag.  But I seem to have a lot of trouble with the sliding the paring knife and slicing through...  I've tried serrated and non-serrated, etc, etc, but I'm always frustrated.  OTOH, my hands are less than working well at this point.  

I just wondered if someone, like one of those YouTube culinary hackers, had some brilliant method.  ...oh, not suggesting you are not brilliant, my dear, ...but there's always someone who spends their time dreaming up these things.  :laugh:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

look at "citrus peelers" - any number of cute plastic doohickies with hooks / curved blades / etc.

one issue is whether a cut in the skin is not wanted.  if you're going to peel it comma anyway, the point of a sharp knife will cut the plastic longwise pretty quick.

I usually get it started, then 'invent and peel the plastic back on itself' - mostly because we typically only use 1/2 at a go....

that way the other half stays 'wrapped'

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

look at "citrus peelers" - any number of cute plastic doohickies with hooks / curved blades / etc.

one issue is whether a cut in the skin is not wanted.  if you're going to peel it comma anyway, the point of a sharp knife will cut the plastic longwise pretty quick.

I usually get it started, then 'invent and peel the plastic back on itself' - mostly because we typically only use 1/2 at a go....

that way the other half stays 'wrapped'

OK.  I'll do a citrus peeler search.

I don't peel English cucumbers and I actually have to slice them in half length-wise to cut them in my food processor...but the cellophane won't cut along with whatever knife I use.  I have to unwrap them first.

Also, I use the entire cucumber at once.  In fact, I use three cucumbers to make a salad which Ed loves.  We eat at night a variety of long-keeping salads which I make as we run out of each one and we cut fresh the greens each time.

But thanks for the information. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Secondary question: Why in the world does it have to be practically vacuum-sealed? Why can't it just exist and be sold like every other cucumber? I've always wondered about that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

Secondary question: Why in the world does it have to be practically vacuum-sealed? Why can't it just exist and be sold like every other cucumber? I've always wondered about that. 

I think it might have to do with the tender peel being easily damaged which would reduce shelf life considerably.....Persian cucumbers are also sold package in plastic for the same reason.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I think it might have to do with the tender peel being easily damaged which would reduce shelf life considerably.....Persian cucumbers are also sold package in plastic for the same reason.

Same coin, other side: I think it's to prevent moisture loss. Note that even the thicker-skinned, fatter, more typical cucumbers sold in US markets (sorry, I don't know what their name is) have a rather lavish coating of wax on them. 

The way I remove the plastic from the skinny ones is to cut the end -- the nippley end -- off without going all the way through the plastic. This leaves you with a "tab" of sorts that you can use to start "peeling" the plastic off. I admit that this works only about half the time. If it fails, I resort to @lindag's method to get past the "shoulders" of the fruit, then try to slide the plastic down without tearing it (so as to be  able to twist it closed for subsequent storage), in a motion that would embarrass me terribly if my mother walked in and caught me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Google results to question of why plastic wrap...we’re so smart!

Plastic wrap serves as an extra layer of protection for cucumbers that have particularly thin skin, like English cucumbers. ... The tight plastic wrapping also helps cucumbers last longer in the fridge at home. It acts as both an insulator to protect against cold injury and prevents and slows dehydration and spoilage.”

• Like 2

Some places sell bag openers like this, but with a sharper point (I couldn't find the right image):

image.png.76c3e703276b8348adf802cc34ac7fd1.png

A former co-worker of mine (a prep cook) used that to "unzip" them quickly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I just cut the cucumber in half and pull the wrap off each side. Works well enough for me... your mileage may vary.

Sounds like the OP is suffering from a case of dull knife syndrome. This malady is shockingly common. There is a cure, but you can also invest in a cheap letter opener or bag opener like the ones mentioned above. 

Edited by btbyrd (log)

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

I just cut the cucumber in half and pull the wrap off each side. Works well enough for me... your mileage may vary.

Sounds like the OP is suffering from a case of dull knife syndrome. This malady is shockingly common. There is a cure, but you can also invest in a cheap letter opener or bag opener like the ones mentioned above. 

I'd think Darienne and dull knives seldom keep company.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

8 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

Same coin, other side: I think it's to prevent moisture loss. Note that even the thicker-skinned, fatter, more typical cucumbers sold in US markets (sorry, I don't know what their name is) have a rather lavish coating of wax on them. 

Thanks for the information. Regular cukes didn't always have that coat of wax on them, at least not for the first 30 years or so of my life. And tomatoes used to taste like tomatoes, etc. Ah well. xD

Thanks for all the information.  Sorry.  We had family and I never got back on line.  

And @Okanagancook  had such a good solution.  I'm in for that little doohickey.  

• Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

From the scary to the hilarious. Scary: the fact that this is even a thread. Hilarious: that I own one of those letter openers. It was some promotional item I was given years ago, and I have to say that it's worth its weight in plastic for actually opening letters. But I am not going to use it to open a cucumber. I never thought of an English cucumber as a puzzle in need of a solution, so I will just struggle along with a knife and brute force for that .00001 mil shrink-wrap. Be careful getting slippery cucumber juice on that doohickey. The blade is sharp. @Darienne I will watch for you on the "I will never again...." thread.

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

From the scary to the hilarious. Scary: the fact that this is even a thread. 

OK.  I'll bite.  Why is my thread scary?

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.