• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holcroft Cast Iron Grilling Pan

Kerry Beal

I've have been lugging around this beautiful big pan for a whole lot of years, it was my mother's and I suspect her mother's before her. It appears that the Holcroft line is from Great Britain as I can find a bunch of pieces in the National Trust collection but I'm not seeing a lot in North America. I'm seeing similarly shaped pans but without the ridges that are called boiling pans. And there is a lid with this one - so perhaps it is a boiling pan as well. It's about 20 inches side to side.

It would benefit from a good seasoning.

I'd like to see it go to a good home where someone would restore it to it's former glory and then get some use out of it. 

Shipping is going to be rather expensive from Canada - I suspect around $70 to most locations in the US.

Anyone want to take it off my hands for the cost of shipping and the promise they'll document the seasoning and use on eG? I would recommend the Sherry Canter method described on this eG thread.

IMG_4711.thumb.jpg.a349b8a95e0fa767d18bfe49004239f6.jpg

IMG_4713.thumb.jpg.7bd6e626e51cba90fed2e469e39451b0.jpg

IMG_4715.thumb.jpg.50c9ff3a835376c87b0c8094fdb35239.jpg

IMG_4712.thumb.jpg.f9f3d5d010bce3da402ceaa3a66e4016.jpg

IMG_4716.thumb.jpg.9894386ef3451ada4600648064ceea3b.jpg

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

Does the Benz come with it?

That's funny - was looking at the pics as I was posting and realized I should have taken the pics outside the car! The shipping would be atrocious.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/29/2019 at 7:14 AM, weinoo said:

Does the Benz come with it?

Kerry, I'll take it! I need a good grill pan! It will be treated lovingly, if not always carefully, but it'll be loved and used.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Kerry, I'll take it! I need a good grill pan! It will be treated lovingly, if not always carefully, but it'll be loved and used.

You have made me very happy.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/28/2020 at 11:57 AM, TdeV said:

From where would you suggest finding a cast iron pan with grill ridges?

A little late to the party here...but:

I always see a few CI grilling pans of various makes at the thrift stores / resale stores I frequent. Usually well under $10, any most times never used.

Recent finds in CI have also been the Weber CI skillet that works with the kettle grill, accessory grate, and a lovely big oyster CI pan. Again, both never used, and the oyster pan still had the label on it.

18 hours ago, weinoo said:

I've been hearing good things lately, about both Staub's and Le Crueset's grill pans.

@kayb - so, how great is that grill pan you got from @Kerry Beal?

Ummm...I think it'll be wonderful when I get around to cooking it clean and reseasoning it. 

Timeliness has never been one of my virtues.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 minutes ago, kayb said:

Ummm...I think it'll be wonderful when I get around to cooking it clean and reseasoning it. 

Timeliness has never been one of my virtues.

And that is why it had to find a new home - I've lost my roundtuit!

• Haha 2