• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

emmeyekayeee

This is the closest I've ever been to the genuine KFC recipe

No way. That isn't KFC chicken. It might have the same taste as KFC, but that's not the texture. And texture makes up as much of a memory as flavour.

Posted (edited)

You posted links to Googledrive not YouTube. We need your password to access your Google drive.  Please send it to me by DM along with your bank account PIN and credit card numbers. :D

You can embed YouTube videos very easily. Just enter the main YouTube link. You have given the mobile version links which may be the reason they have not embedded.

Here they are correctly embedded.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

That looks much nicer than KFC.

That's cool of you to say, thanks. But I don't want to stop until I can replicate it, and at least tie with it in a tasting competition.

Posted (edited)

Has anyone compared KFC chicken with Popeye's?

We have both nearby but the KFC is a whole lot easier and quicker to get to so I haven't tried Popeye's yet...and I also want to try their shrimp.

Edited by lindag (log)

Two completely different, pardon the pun, animals. There are great (if you consider the minutae great) differences in technique and ingredients.

Popeye's is flakier and spicier. 

I wouldn't even attempt to replicate Popeye's personally. I've invested too much mindset on the KFC effort.

• Like 1

I'm not really a fan of KFC. 

I do like Popeye's. It's always fresher, I've occasionally had to wait a couple minutes for the chicken to finish cooking. 

Their red beans and rice is a favorite as well. 

• Like 2

The dream is to make my own from home, and enjoy it in my time and my place. But have food that brings back memories of the food of my youth. FOMY.

Never have to worry about crappy service again.

look into Todd Wilbur

there are books and a TV show.

KFC might be one he ' won ' a duplication contest.

his shows are fun to watch.

23 hours ago, lindag said:

Has anyone compared KFC chicken with Popeye's?

We have both nearby but the KFC is a whole lot easier and quicker to get to so I haven't tried Popeye's yet...and I also want to try their shrimp.

Popeye's wins hands down.  This is based on my analysis of our annual office Christmas party,  over the course of the 20 years I was one of those responsible for organizing it (for 60 total staff).  We always had a Honey Baked ham and chicken as the core proteins (with tons of sides, usually staff contributions).  Over these 20 years, the staff feedback went from 80/20 in favor of KFC to 80/20 in favor of Popeye's.  Maybe it was due to changes in their recipes, the changes in taste buds or the changes in staff.  But that was what we saw.  

• Like 2

I've looked into Todd Wilbur's recipe, and I think that any recipe that uses egg and milk creates acrust that isn't at all like KFC.

Also, I think it's more than fair to pick favourites, but I want to see if I can replicate the KFC recipe at home, taste and texture, so I can enjoy it when I want. Perhaps, after I get this recipe down pat, I'll get after Popeye's....or Church's. Yum.

@emmeyekayeee, Here is another discussion of the KFC original recipe that might interest you. It has a link to a video of the Colonel frying his chicken for Tennessee Ernie Ford and Minnie Pearl. He doesn't disclose the spices, but does mention the chicken being soaked in a milk/egg wash before coating with the dry mix.

Yup, I've seen that video.....quite a few times, actually. I am think that it might be one of the differences between modern era KFC, which I've grown up with (since the 70's), and The Colonel's era. 

I can say, with conviction, that an milk and egg wash creates way too much of a crust to be KFC comparable. I've tried it every which way, to no avail.

I will, however, check out that thread. Thank you!

doesn't KFC need a Pressure Fryer ?

that was my take from the TWilbur TV show on KFC

i have no idea if I have it hanging around.

No, you're right. Since I don't have one, I'm trying to replicate it as accurately as possible without one. That's why I focus so much on texture moreso than flavour. 

I should pick up a pressure cooker.....

By the way, all that fear mongering about putting oil in a stove top pressure cooker is garbage. I've done it ~ 100 times with no ill effect. Just fill up the pot 50% max and turn down the heat after locking it. There's no problem. 

Posted (edited)

Im glad you have a tasty project !

Todd Wilbur never got close until he rented a PF.

shame that show is not around.

I enjoyed it and many others.

and here it is :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AylgkoRdZ50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfHZYj1sMYI

http://www.cmt.com/video-clips/yo5wq4/top-secret-recipe-todd-wilbur-interview-kfc

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Yes. I've watched those two top Videos before but I can't get that CMT show. I'd like to see his finished product of fried chicken. I'm kinda not interested in roasted chicken. That doesn't make my nostalgic juices flow.

• Similar Content

• By secast1992
      So I've been experiencing cracks on the foot of my bonbons that I've been unable to find the cause of, hoping to reach out to the community to get to the bottom of this costly problem. 

I work for a small chocolate company that makes our own bean to bar couverture. We use a continuous tempering machine with enrobing belt attachment. 
      The process: ganache is made and then piped into round silicone molds, which are then footed with tempered chocolate before being placed in the freezer until frozen enough to pop out of the molds. They are then set up right and left to thaw and dry out overnight on a equipped with fans aimed at the bonbons. The next day we send the bonbons through the enrober, and then they are transferred to a speed rack to set up, either at room temp (generally around 68-70 degrees F) or in a homemade cooling cabinet (an insulated box equipped with an air conditioner + dehumidifier + fans) that generally fluctuates between 50-56 degrees F (I know, large range). 

Problems occur with both milk and dark couverture, with bonbons kept at room temp or in cabinet, thickness of foot doesn't seem to make a difference (we've tried thicker and thinner). Crack doesn't immediately appear; it usually takes a couple of minutes after being completely set before showing. It looks as though the foot is popping out, cause a hairline crack between the shell and the foot. I've attached pictures. You'll notice in the photos, that when the bonbon is cut in half, the foot separates from the shell pretty significantly. 

Thoughts? Suggestions? Similar experiences? 

• By Trufflenaut
      I'm a small-scale hobbyist candymaker (making things for myself and friends, not for sale), and I'm interested in learning more about sugar panning (mostly soft sugar panning, but also interested in hard panning).  I recently made myself a panning machine, and understand the very basics of the process, but I'm finding it difficult to find thorough information on the process that is useful for home candymaking - most of the information I have found so far has been of the sort "here is how to use this product that you can only buy in 100-lb quantities", or "this $200 industry manual has a section on panning techniques that may or may not be useful, but you can't tell until after you buy it".  Is there a good book/website/other source that thoroughly explains all parts of the panning process with enough detail to figure out how to do things with the materials at hand, and more importantly how to know at each step if things are going right?  I have access to the book "Confectionary Science and Technology", which has been a HUGE help, but there's still quite a bit that it doesn't talk about.

I also have a couple of specific questions, and would appreciate any info:
      1. How do I add color?  Adding gel food color to the syrup only provides slight coloration, and I have food color powder but am not sure if I should add it to the syrup, to the sugar, or just it to replace the sugar.

2. I have some carnauba wax to use for polishing, but I can't find any info on how to use it - do I just pour a small quantity of melted wax to the centers in the pan?  Do I need to mix it with anything?

Huge thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
    • By Tropicalsenior
      This probably sounds like a strange subject to bring up when most of you, as @CantCookStillTry would say, are up to your knickers in snow and ice  but some of us right now are in a heat wave. Although Costa Rica is in the northern hemisphere, Central America only has two seasons. Wet and dry. Wet season is from sometime in April to sometime in November so that puts us in the dry season right now and our two hottest months are March and April. CCST is in Australia and going through a real hot time. We'd like to know what you do to beat the heat.  What are your favorite hot weather recipes? How do you cook in the hot weather to keep from heating up your kitchen? Any and all suggestions and anecdotes are welcome.
    • By KootenayCook
      I like to make roasted eggplant/aubergine for baba gahanouj, bharta (etc.) on coals that impart a wonderful smoky flavour.  I've had good success doing it in a barbecue (actually a Big Green Egg).  So, now that it's winter, I thought "why not try it in the fireplace, after the fire has burnt down to glowing coals?" I cut a few slits in the eggplant so that it wouldn't explode, did NOT wrap it in foil, thinking that would just seal out the smoky flavour, and popped it into the fireplace (with glass doors) for 15 min.  It came out looking good, perhaps a little under-cooked, but basically OK.  The taste was TERRIBLE -  very strong flavour of fire place ash.  I only had a couple of bites, despite my Methodist ancestors looking disapprovingly over my shoulder, because it really was bad.  So has anyone else tried this?  I'd like to make it work.  Should the eggplant be wrapped in foil? Should I wait until the coals have died down further?  Does it depend on the type of wood? This was mainly aspen - crappy firewood at best, but it was free (Methodist ancestors won this time.).
    • By emmeyekayeee
      I take great pride in that knowing the fact that I can replicate recipes on my own. I've had some pretty good success with coming up with flavors and foods that remind me of my youth, specifically, takeout items. I think I do a pretty good job of burgers, fried chicken, pizza, a multitude of a Chinese food dishes, etc. One item that I cannot seem to figure out, which should be so simple to do, but it's frustratingly and deceptively difficult, is Asian broth.
      I'm talking wonton soup and phö broth. I can't figure it out and I need help. I've scoured the forums here and tried everything. But I can't get a clear broth and I can't get the right flavour. I need to know what I'm doing wrong, I've spent a decade trying to figure this out.
      To me, there is nothing in this world like good soup broth. Can someone find it in them to help me, please? I would be forever grateful.
      Regards,
      Mike