• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2018

Smokeydoke

[Host's note: this topic is part of a continuing discussion.  The conversation continues from here.]

Well, not 2017 anymore, time to make a new thread?

Tonight I tried Marcus Samuelsson's Big Apple Sidecar but subbed the Applejack with Osocalis (which I got on sale) and Morey Orange Liquer (recommended by staff) instead of Cointreau.

Original recipe is as follows:

• 2 ounces applejack brandy
  • 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 ounce Cointreau, or Grand Marnier
  • 1/4 ounce agave nectar, maple syrup or honey.

I've never had Applejack, I've only had Calvados, and the Osocalis is much like Calvados. It has an overwhelming apple scent, not a bad thing. When mixed with the Morey, which is not as sweet as Triple Sec, it created a very complex flavor, not entirely pleasant. I'm a simple girl, I like simple flavors. But dang, did it go down smooth. :-)

I'm new to cocktails (new to making, I've sure drank enough) and I'm still learning. I won't repeat this, it seems a waste of Osocalis. And I know DeKruper is looked down upon here, but I've used DeKruper Triple Sec for years, and its simple, sweet taste would be more in line with apple brandy, just my opinion, I know that's a jailable offense in some places. And no, I did NOT mix my Osocalis with Triple Sec, but honestly, it may have tasted better. Next time (if there is a next time), I'll leave the Morey out completely and double the agave nectar. That way the different liquors won't have to compete with each other. 

IMG_2561.JPG

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

And I know DeKruper is looked down upon here, but I've used DeKruper Triple Sec for years, and its simple, sweet taste would be more in line with apple brandy, just my opinion, I know that's a jailable offense in some places.

If you like it, that's all that matters. I used to make the same disclaimers when posting here until I finally realized I don't give a flying fork about someone else's approval. So now I tend to think more in line with that old Starkist tuna commercial... I don't want cocktails with good taste, I want cocktails that taste good. Of course, quite often they can be both.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

5 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

If you like it, that's all that matters. I used to make the same disclaimers when posting here until I finally realized I don't give a flying fork about someone else's approval. So now I tend to think more in line with that old Starkist tuna commercial... I don't want cocktails with good taste, I want cocktails that taste good. Of course, quite often they can be both.

I absolutely agree! I'm not one for approval at all but it seems egullet tries hard to separate themselves from other food forums and I respect that. Besides, I'm not going to admit in public that I mixed a bottle of Osocalis with Triple Sec, that would make some readers cry. :o

Maybe someone can start another "newbie" guide to mix drinks? Then we can post our daiquiris and mai tais with reckless abandon. Hey, we all have to start somewhere!

Edited by Smokeydoke (log)

Gin & Tonic with an oddly coloured Gin from supposedly the neighbouring town. Flavoured with some sort of orchid derivative and also named after it.

Made a nicely colorful drink, that was unnecessarily bitter. I decided not to invest in that Gin for solely novelty purpose ...

WP_20171231_23_44_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20180101_00_24_33_Pro.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Smokeydoke said:

Maybe someone can start another "newbie" guide to mix drinks? Then we can post our daiquiris and mai tais with reckless abandon. Hey, we all have to start somewhere!

I don't think you'll get anybody looking down their nose at a Daiquiri or Mai Tai here.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

17 minutes ago, lindag said:

I have a fifth of Laird's Applejack that I got on a whim

i found I don'care for it neat, can I mix it with something else?

I've found this little Applecart to be good and relatively simple:

• 1 oz Applejack
  • 3/4 oz Cointreau
  • 1/2 oz Lemon juice

Stir with ice in old fashioned glass.

Edited to add: Just noticed this is nearly the same as the drink posted just a few posts up!

Edited by Craig E (log)

I've never had Applejack but the recipe I posted above used applejack (I used apple brandy). I wasn't crazy about it, I think Sidecars work better with regular (cheap) brandy. The combination of orange liquer and apple brandy is weird to me.

How about a simple Old Fashioned with Applejack instead of bourbon?

APPLEJACK OLD FASHIONED
Stir 1/2 tsp. sugar, 2 dashes of bitters and a splash of club soda in an old fashion glass until the sugar is dissolved. Add ice cubes and 1 1/2 oz. Laird's AppleJack. Stir and garnish with an orange slice and a cherry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig E said:

I've found this little Applecart to be good and relatively simple:

• 1 oz Applejack
  • 3/4 oz Cointreau
  • 1/2 oz Lemon juice

Stir with ice in old fashioned glass.

Edited to add: Just noticed this is nearly the same as the drink posted just a few posts up!

Thanks for this, simple drinks are important since we don't have access to exotic ingredients around here.

2 hours ago, lindag said:

I have a fifth of Laird's Applejack that I got on a whim

i found I don'care for it neat, can I mix it with something else?

Do you have their old applejack which is apple brandy cut with neutral grain spirits or the new Laird's applejack that is really apple brandy?

There is an applejack thread here:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/54293-applejack/

My favorite apple beverage is Autumn in Jersey.  This being NJ and all that...not that Laird's distills in NJ anymore:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/148631-drinks-2014-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=1994132

Then there is the Widow's Kiss, it really works:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/146762-drinks-2014-part-1/?do=findComment&comment=1962457

And then the Jack Rose, not the finest drink in my opinion but it sure is pretty:

JackRose05052014.jpg

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

^^ very pretty.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with a mai tai. Nothing.

Thank you...and as someone who, on the average, drinks a mai tai a day I would have to agree.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Violet Hour's Juliet & Romeo

http://imbibemagazine.com/violet-hour-juliet-romeo/

2 oz. London Dry gin
¾ oz. fresh lime juice
¾ oz. simple syrup (1:1)
4 drops rose water
3 drops Angostura bitters
3 slices cucumber
1 mint sprig

This cocktail is what piqued my interest in cocktails, it sounded so romantic; Angostura bitters, rose water, gin.... what could be more lovely and tragic? Yet when I mixed it all together, it was more reminiscent of a cucumber martini, not a bad thing, not a bad thing at all. I can't detect the rose water (that could be a good thing) or even the bitters, they seemed to have sacrificed themselves to create a beautiful grassy note that works so well with the gin. I love it, definitely a repeater.

IMG_2576.JPG

• Like 3

23 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do you have their old applejack which is apple brandy cut with neutral grain spirits or the new Laird's applejack that is really apple brandy?

There is an applejack thread here:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/54293-applejack/

My favorite apple beverage is Autumn in Jersey.  This being NJ and all that...not that Laird's distills in NJ anymore:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/148631-drinks-2014-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=1994132

Then there is the Widow's Kiss, it really works:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/146762-drinks-2014-part-1/?do=findComment&comment=1962457

And then the Jack Rose, not the finest drink in my opinion but it sure is pretty:

The bottle I have is the 35% brandy with 65% neutral spirits.  I'll try the Applecart since I do have the Cointreau and lemon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smokeydoke said:

Violet Hour's Juliet & Romeo

http://imbibemagazine.com/violet-hour-juliet-romeo/

I like that one. Their Eeyore's Requiem is a good one too.

Edit: I don't recall the rose water disappearing in the mix, I'll have to try it again. For some reason, I seem to remember there being a joke hidden in this one, a little naughty double-entendre. I hope I'm not making that up because I can't seem to find the supporting evidence I was sure existed.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

14 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I like that one. Their Eeyore's Requiem is a good one too.

Edit: I don't recall the rose water disappearing in the mix, I'll have to try it again. For some reason, I seem to remember there being a joke hidden in this one, a little naughty double-entendre. I hope I'm not making that up because I can't seem to find the supporting evidence I was sure existed.

Juliette always comes first

36 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Juliette always comes first

That's it. :D I think there was something to do with the ingredients too though. Something about the rose water and the cucumber representing the namesake characters. 

@Tri2Cook love the Kindred Cocktail site.

I don't think I'll like Eeyore Requiem, doesn't sound like my thing, but if I ever get the ingredients, I'll give it a try. Nod to Toby Maloney, if he reads this site, it's a great cocktail. I'm impressed and wouldn't mind trying more of his creations.

7 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

@Tri2Cook love the Kindred Cocktail site.

I don't think I'll like Eeyore Requiem, doesn't sound like my thing, but if I ever get the ingredients, I'll give it a try. Nod to Toby Maloney, if he reads this site, it's a great cocktail. I'm impressed and wouldn't mind trying more of his creations.

You definitely have to try it - far more than the sum of its parts!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

You definitely have to try it - far more than the sum of its parts!

Yup. One of my favourite cocktails. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Someone posted this from Fred Yarm's site, CocktailVirginSlut. I tried it tonight and thought it was pretty great. My wife, who isn't a huge Zucca or Cherry Heering fan, loved it too.

Estocada
by Sahil Mehta, Estragon, Boston

3/4 oz Mezcal
3/4 oz Cherry Liqueur, Cherry Heering
3/4 oz Zucca
3/4 oz Lime juice
1 twst Lime peel

Shake with ice, strain into a coupe, garnish

Edited by EvergreenDan
d'oh (log)
  • Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community