• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2018

Smokeydoke

Last week, an LA Times columnist reminisced about Queen Elizabeth's visits to California, ending this column Unexpected humor and ‘a spot of gin’: Queen Elizabeth II’s Sacramento visit remembered thusly:

I did a Google search to inquire about the queen’s drinking habits. One website, quoting a cousin, said she routinely had four drinks a day: a gin and Dubonnet cocktail in the morning, wine at lunch, a dry martini before dinner, then a glass of champagne.

In the unlikely event that I decide to get up at 3 AM tomorrow to watch her funeral on TV, I thought I'd practice with one of those gin and Dubonnet cocktails:

35BD26BD-ACBB-4390-A9AA-A1220C397FA9_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.35f47464da7e23e17eeec0b10c0cf495.jpeg

Using the proportions David Lebovitz gives for the Reine Rouge in his book, Drinking French.  Two parts Dubonnet rouge, 1 part gin with a lemon twist. Served over ice, as I did, or up. 

It does go down quite easily!

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

she routinely had four drinks a day: a gin and Dubonnet cocktail in the morning, wine at lunch, a dry martini before dinner, then a glass of champagne.

Crikey, if I had four drinks a day I’d be able to rule an Empire too!  I am a huge fan of Queen Elizabeth II and cannot believe this to be true. But I’m prepared to give it a try. That Dubonnet cocktail in the morning might be hard to keep down though!  Kudos to you. I love the simplicity of the drink. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Last week, an LA Times columnist reminisced about Queen Elizabeth's visits to California, ending this column Unexpected humor and ‘a spot of gin’: Queen Elizabeth II’s Sacramento visit remembered thusly:

In the unlikely event that I decide to get up at 3 AM tomorrow to watch her funeral on TV, I thought I'd practice with one of those gin and Dubonnet cocktails:

35BD26BD-ACBB-4390-A9AA-A1220C397FA9_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.35f47464da7e23e17eeec0b10c0cf495.jpeg

Using the proportions David Lebovitz gives for the Reine Rouge in his book, Drinking French.  Two parts Dubonnet rouge, 1 part gin with a lemon twist. Served over ice, as I did, or up. 

It does go down quite easily!

Maybe Patrick or Michael will provide a “reminder” (aka hairball) around that time. After that you’ll surely need a Gin and Dubonnet!🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Crikey, if I had four drinks a day I’d be able to rule an Empire too!  I am a huge fan of Queen Elizabeth II and cannot believe this to be true. But I’m prepared to give it a try. That Dubonnet cocktail in the morning might be hard to keep down though!  Kudos to you. I love the simplicity of the drink. 

A year or three ago, prior to Boris' ascension as Prime Minister, The Economist published a fictional account of the American ambassador's confidential diplomatic cable home to the State Department following Elizabeth's fictional visit to the embassy and Her Majesty's beverage choices.  "Protocols may need to be updated."

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A while back, David Lebovitz shared Franky Martin's Martinelle cocktail in his newsletter, calling it a Pineau sort of Martini.  She developed it for the Pineau Academy and the recipe is also available on their website.  It's a light and bright cocktail but with enough flavor to sip slowly. I'm kind of in the mood for Spring so I made one. 

DCCB4F12-BB17-499C-BCBD-3C8144D26CA0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f75454919cdc5ffa856fc2676d6bce3f.jpeg

Martinelle by Franky Martin

1 oz Pineau des Charentes 
1 oz Gin
0.5 oz Génépy des Alpes
1 drop Orange Citrate Bitters
2 dashes Absinthe

When I first made this, I had to order both the Génépy and the Pineau Charentes but both are now available at my local Total Wine.

Edited to add that depending on the particular Pineau you use, this can lean a bit sweet. I have bumped up the gin in that case. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

A while back, David Lebovitz shared Franky Martin's Martinelle cocktail in his newsletter, calling it a Pineau sort of Martini.  She developed it for the Pineau Academy and the recipe is also available on their website.  It's a light and bright cocktail but with enough flavor to sip slowly. I'm kind of in the mood for Spring so I made one. 

DCCB4F12-BB17-499C-BCBD-3C8144D26CA0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f75454919cdc5ffa856fc2676d6bce3f.jpeg

Martinelle by Franky Martin

1 oz Pineau des Charentes 
1 oz Gin
0.5 oz Génépy des Alpes
1 drop Orange Citrate Bitters
2 dashes Absinthe

When I first made this, I had to order both the Génépy and the Pineau Charentes but both are now available at my local Total Wine.

Edited to add that depending on the particular Pineau you use, this can lean a bit sweet. I have bumped up the gin in that case. 

I'd love to try that but pretty sure that both the Génépy and the Pineau Charentes would be  impossible to find in my town. I'll peruse the BCLDB website and may venure further afield one of these days if they are available within a 50 km radius. I love anything with bitters - big Negroni fan. Thanks once again for the inspiration.

• Like 2