• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

1 hour ago, BonVivant said:

My guesthouse's home-cooking on Yonaguni island.

Okinawans eat a bit of everything and there's always seaweed and tofu in some form. The cuisine of Okinawa is a mix of other countries' with whom the former Ryukyu kingdom used to trade.

Fascinating history, thanks for the link!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

ccoh.thumb.jpg.2314daa5e2952426ecdf393ed1a68207.jpg

1-10-10 brined chicken breast with white wine steamed clams, ginger and garlic; baked mushrooms with scallions. R.ice. Didn't get the sear I wanted on the chicken, but tasted just fine.

cc.thumb.jpg.24bf78bb768987e96b6027e8bc125d75.jpg

shrooms.thumb.jpg.5283f456b9070ff61117ecc6882944b1.jpg

shroomscu.thumb.jpg.540df1f96c829605bf63d560d3338a17.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

EE820978-F01A-4F7D-A013-FDF2288DF7C6.thumb.jpeg.cede2198f05d968f935ff44a1adea861.jpeg

Jazzed up instant noodles. Spinach, egg, nori and beef short ribs. 

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@shain  Yes your dish appeals. What most struck me was the sesame seed. I wouldn't have thought of that but perhaps that is cultural. I might have thought of toasted walnuts perhap and others of pine nuts. Thanks for expanding our thought processes.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2018 at 1:59 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Don't know.  I thought I did.

When I went to put the pie in the oven the display didn't look right so I turned the broiler on again.  After three minutes I pulled the pizza but the top crust didn't look right.  There should have been leopardizing on the top but it looked rather raw.  So I put it in again for another minute.  Still no joy.  Then another thirty seconds.

After loading the poor pizza three times it wasn't as pretty as it might have been and stuff was dripping over the edges.  The top crust was still on this side of raw and the bottom crust was black.

Compare this pizza with my last pizza from the other night:

Dinner10252018.png

Pizza10112018.png

Edit:  the bottom pizza is 3 minutes.

Well ... electronic ovens do not like and cannot withstand high heat conditions. Yours is electronic, right, Jo?

Course the oven could be spot on, and you can blame it on yourself as you have done, but I'm extremely suspecting of electronic appliances, cuz I hate them for the overpriced and short-lived things that they are. 😝

> ^ . . ^ <

2 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Well ... electronic ovens do not like and cannot withstand high heat conditions. Yours is electronic, right, Jo?

Course the oven could be spot on, and you can blame it on yourself as you have done, but I'm extremely suspecting of electronic appliances, cuz I hate them for the overpriced and short-lived things that they are. 😝

As I was broiling tonight's pizza the oven shut itself off with an over-heat error message.

• Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, heidih said:

@shain  Yes your dish appeals. What most struck me was the sesame seed. I wouldn't have thought of that but perhaps that is cultural. I might have thought of toasted walnuts perhap and others of pine nuts. Thanks for expanding our thought processes.

Thank you :)

I wanted to highlight the smokey flavors in this dish, so I felt toasted sesame should work. I think that walnuts whould be good as well, they have a smokey quality too. 

~ Shai N.

I had a rather large and carbohydrate heavy lunch, so  I passed on them for dinner.

Pan fried duck breast over a raw spinach salad with fresh lion's mane mushrooms* sautéed in the rendered duck fat.

433771115_DUckwithSpinachandLionsHeadMushroom1.thumb.jpg.def10c345c7a3f5000cb03eea8fe0d36.jpg

2066744026_DuckwithSpinachandLionsHeadMushroom2.thumb.jpg.3dab5fe8d0dccff3edb3c6c178cce667.jpg

In Chinese the mushrooms are 狮头菇 shī tóu gū, which translates as 'lion's head mushrooms'.  I usually only get them dried, but the market had them fresh this morning.

• Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@TdeV  I used my son's recipe with some changes. Here is what I did for the Kalbi

Kalbi (Korean Beef Short Rib BBQ) 
Note: Marinade a min of 10 to 12hrs
Beef Short Ribs (3 to 4lbs)
1/2 cup soy sauce
 1/4 cup Sesame oil ( you would probably be OK using just 2 Tbsps.)
6 Tbsp  Brown sugar
5 Tbsp water
4 Tbsp  Mirin. 
3 Tbsp rice syrup (I used because I got some for another recipe and wanted to use it up) son uses corn syrup
2 Tbsp galic
1/4 tsp ginger
Chopped Green onions (about 1 cup)
Dash of peppers
1 Asian Pear
• Instead of the pear, you may substitute Jumex Pear Flavored Nectar or you may also try other fruits, such as apple juice Charlie usually adds some Coke the marinade.

PS I made a second, half batch, added about a quarter cup of Dr. Pepper and boiled in for a couple minutes, cooled to room temperature,  then poured then it over the ribs after they were cooked. 

PS I try to always post the recipes of what I cook at the blog link below.
Edited by Norm Matthews
add information and spelling (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Our dinner tonight was one we have been enjoying for a long time. It was Cornish hens marinated with orange juice, Triple Sec, honey and soy sauce. Some of it was reserved for basting and thickening with cornstarch to set on the table with the chickens. 

20181028_175949.jpg

20181028_175841.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 1