Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

SLB

Searching for EVOO!

Recommended Posts

For a decade, my basic mild olive oil, not for dressing or finishing, was Fairway Market's blend.  I'd buy the 3-liter cans, and be very happy.

 

Well.  Something Has Happened. 

 

I bought a can last week that was so bitter I thought it might be rancid.  I tried to give it peppery -- I've had Sicilian oils that pack some serious bite.  But no.  Ultimately I decided it was just bitter, after trying to cook with it (I know this is idiotic, to try to cook the bitter out of oil . . . but WHO HAS TIME TO LUG OLIVE OIL BACK TO THE STORE???).   

 

Sigh.  I found the time, complained to the store, and exchanged it for a new can.

 

Unfortunately , it's giving the same bitter.  I mean, this stuff is nasty.  I sent a detailed email back to the store manager, and will be taking it back for a refund.

 

So now I need a recommendation a decently priced genuinely mild-flavored olive oil that I can get in larger volumes.  I know the oils I like for finishing, and don't have any interest in purchasing them in large quantities.  I'm hoping to short-cut the ole' trial and error method, sigh. 

 

You guys got any recs?  


Edited by SLB (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SLB said:

For a decade, my basic mild olive oil, not for dressing or finishing, was Fairway Market's blend.  I'd buy the 3-liter cans, and be very happy.

 

Well.  Something Has Happened. 

 

I bought a can last week that was so bitter I thought it might be rancid.  I tried to give it peppery -- I've had Sicilian oils that pack some serious bite.  But no.  Ultimately I decided it was just bitter, after trying to cook with it (I know this is idiotic, to try to cook the bitter out of oil . . . but WHO HAS TIME TO LUG OLIVE OIL BACK TO THE STORE???).   

 

Sigh.  I found the time, complained to the store, and exchanged it for a new can.

 

Unfortunately , it's giving the same bitter.  I mean, this stuff is nasty.  I sent a detailed email back to the store manager, and will be taking it back for a refund.

 

So now I need a recommendation a decently priced genuinely mild-flavored olive oil that I can get in larger volumes.  I know the oils I like for finishing, and don't have any interest in purchasing them in large quantities.  I'm hoping to short-cut the ole' trial and error method, sigh. 

 

You guys got any recs?  

 

I buy the 3 liter cans of Bertolli oil. But not the extra virgin - just the regular for a mild oil for everyday use.


Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you use that much OO.?  I'm not a fan of evoo, but even if I were I don't know where I'd use 3 liters in a decent period. Do you fry in it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My two basic olive oils come from Aldi and Trader Joe's. The one on the left is the Aldi version and I use it when the taste of the oil isn't going to be discernable, like when I infuse garlic into it or use it in an otherwise highly seasoned application. It goes for less that $2.00 per bottle. The one on the right is the one from TJ's and goes for about $7 per bottle and I use this when I want the taste of the oil to shine.

HC

IMG_1375.thumb.JPG.dfad8f9ca52882b936b8bdd8b47e5cb7.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the liter bottles of Carlini at Kroger. They're my go-to for frying. I go to the olive oil store in Memphis and get some better ones for finishing, and for bread-baking.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gfweb said:

How do you use that much OO.?  I'm not a fan of evoo, but even if I were I don't know where I'd use 3 liters in a decent period. Do you fry in it?

I don't true-fry, but I sautee in it regularly.  It's the oil I would use to slick up veggies for roasting.  I will use that mild oil for dressing if the other flavors in the dressing are going to be extremely prominent.  I don't think one needs extra-virgin for these purposes, but I liked the mild taste of the Fairway one (until recently), and it was available in bulk.

 

For real frying, I use mass produced corn oil or lard.  I read somewhere on eG that this was akin to an old-wives-tale, but I'd thought olive oils wouldn't take the extended heat of frying.  Not that I'd want the taste of it in my fried foods.

 

It's true, though; I do use a lot of oil, all the oils.  I'm kind of a high-fat eater, honestly.  

 

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.  I was feeling kind of crazed with the thought of having to taste my way back to an old-standby.  


Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not EVOO (which to me is supposed to add flavor, not be neutral) but for a mild oil I can recommend Kirkland Olive oil in the 5 liter jugs. It is my everyday OO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Trader Joe's California Estate Olive Oil. I like mine a bit more peppery than you but it's a fine oil and reasonable priced.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shalmanese said:

I like the Trader Joe's California Estate Olive Oil. I like mine a bit more peppery than you but it's a fine oil and reasonable priced.

Oh, I like peppery oils.  I don't think of it as "mild", though; it comes through stronger than I'm looking for.

 

And I agree that I don't actually need extra-virgin for these purposes, although I don't want a totally neutral oil; I just like the taste of the Fairway house blend.  It was pretty mild.  

 

The suggestions are really helpful, thank you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which one of Fairway's blends did you have problems with?  I regularly get their 1L jar of unfiltered EVOO (it's basically the same price per L as the 3L can) and haven't had a problem.  I probably bought the last one a couple weeks ago.... If you want, I can take a pic of the label when I get home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one on the left, which isn't their unfiltered oil; maybe I'll try it.  I'm going back for the refund this evening.

 

IMG_1207.JPG.06a3addccebc20d7411d53106610e9fe.JPG[

 

The oil on the right is my very favorite finishing/dressing olive oil.  This may be my last bottle of it, though, because it is too damn high.  

 


Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 12:41 PM, SLB said:

The one on the left, which isn't their unfiltered oil; maybe I'll try it.  I'm going back for the refund this evening.

 

IMG_1207.JPG.06a3addccebc20d7411d53106610e9fe.JPG[

 

The oil on the right is my very favorite finishing/dressing olive oil.  This may be my last bottle of it, though, because it is too damn high.  

 

 

 

Is the one on the right Frantoi Cutrera?  That's currently my favorite.  My general purpose go-to olive oil is Colavita.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×