• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

Host's note: By popular demand, and in light of the ephemeral nature and prevalence of e-book (mostly Kindle) deals, this topic has been split from the Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2) topic.  All deals that are not electronic-format books should go there, not here.

I am surprised at how quickly the cheap prices/deals on Kindle cookbooks come and go. That being said...I am a US Prime member so the price you see may vary.

M. F. K. Fisher's "Consider the Oyster" Kindle Edition $2.51US

Chef Yoshio Saito "Okonomiyaki: Japanese Comfort Food" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Top Chef's Padma Lakshmi's "Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir" Kindle Edition $1.99US

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

I am surprised at how quickly the cheap prices/deals on Kindle cookbooks come and go. That being said...I am a US Prime member so the price you see may vary.

M. F. K. Fisher's "Consider the Oyster" Kindle Edition $2.51US

Chef Yoshio Saito "Okonomiyaki: Japanese Comfort Food" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Top Chef's Padma Lakshmi's "Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I passed on Consider the Oyster but while I was there I picked up The Physiology of Taste for $.99.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Also cheap right now: Questlove's cookbook Something to Food About ($1.99), and Hot Bread Kitchen ($2.99, hope you have better luck with the recipes than I did but I enjoyed reading the flavortext accompanying the recipes, and at that price you don't have to feel bad about the recipes that never worked for me).

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Ebook of the day: Ottolenghi's Plenty More, 2.99 (US Prime price).

Here.

Speaking of Prime, who's going to check out Whole Foods Monday to see what you save? Rumor has it we may get a WF here in Jonesboro, but I rather doubt it, as we have two decent-sized natural/organic foods places. Including one locally-owned one I'd hate to see suffer at the hands of the big boys.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I found this today:

Martha Stewart's "Martha's American Food: A Celebration of Our Nation's Most Treasured Dishes, from Coast to Coast" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Edited to add another:

"Bobby Flay's Grill It!" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member so the price you see may vary.

Edited by Toliver
another book added (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

And today:

Nancy Silverton's Pastries from the La Brea Bakery ($1.99US)

Vibrant India: Fresh Vegetarian Recipes from Bangalore to Brooklyn  by Chitra Agrawal ($2.99US)

And also the book that started many of the discussions we're still having, The Omnivore's Dilemma ($1.99US)

Usual disclaimers apply, blah blah US Prime, blah blah.

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Amanda Hesser's "The Essential New York Times Cookbook: Classic Recipes for a New Century" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see might vary.

Edited to add another eBook:

Steven Raichlen's "Barbecue Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades--Bastes, Butters & Glazes, Too" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Edited to also add I get a new message now when going to these ebooks on sale, stating that prices might vary by country and if I'm okay with the price I see, go ahead and buy.  Guess it's a corporate CYA statement...

Edited to add: Holy Bolognese, Batman! How did I miss seeing this?!

Thomas Keller's "Ad Hoc at Home (The Thomas Keller Library)" Kindle Edition $2.99US (normally $9.99US)

Edited by Toliver
added another book (log)
  • Like 2

Tim Oliver

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

@Toliver Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc was too good to pass up.I have already started reading it.

And it's even cheap on the Canadian site.  Yeah, yeah I succumbed.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, chefmd said:

Please don't kill the messenger.  Today's kindle deal is 50 cookbooks.  Including Vivian Howard!

Wowza!!! shock2.gif

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

6 hours ago, chefmd said:

Please don't kill the messenger.  Today's kindle deal is 50 cookbooks.  Including Vivian Howard!

How do you access these?

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How do you access these?

I found it on the Canadian site by selecting Kindle as department and then scrolling down to Kindle deals. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Look! It's Dorie!

Dorie Greenspan's "Baking Chez Moi: Recipes from My Paris Home to Your Home Anywhere" Kindle Edition  $2.99US

"Essential Pepin Desserts: 160 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food" Kindle Edition with Audio/Video $4.99US

Fair warning on the Pepin ebooks you may find in Amazon's Kindle Deals. Some of the books are labelled as "Samplers". These are not complete ecookbooks, but have just a few of his recipes.

A NYC bakery that I haven't heard of, but the recipes looked good:

"One Girl Cookies: Recipes for Cakes, Cupcakes, Whoopie Pies, and Cookies from Brooklyn's Beloved Bakery" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Plus, there's a complete recipe "Fresh Pumpkin Pie with Salty Roasted Pepitas" shown down in the book notes on this web page.

I am a US Prime member and your price may vary.

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

I found it on the Canadian site by selecting Kindle as department and then scrolling down to Kindle deals. 

By that method I found 796 books, only one of which was related (as far as I could see) to food or cookery.  That title was Teen Cuisine.  A good price but not what I was looking for.

Anyone else know how to find the collection that @chefmd mentioned?  And yes I am a Prime member in the US.

Go to Amazon.  Along the top bar there will be a "Daily Deals" link. How exactly it will render on your machine is entirely dependent on your screen size and browser, etc... somewhere up along the top you'll see it.  Can't give you exact directions. Click it.  Daily Deals will present you with a big grid of stuff they're hawking.  Within that grid you'll see "Kindle Deal 50 Cookbooks" or something like that.   I don't think the grid populates the same way every time, so I can't tell you exactly where to look.

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Anyone else know how to find the collection that @chefmd mentioned?

I did the same as @Anna N:  Departments -> Kindle e-Readers & Books -> Kindle Store -> Kindle Books 

From there, I found several links that took me to the "Today only: 50+ sizzling cookbooks on Kindle, $1.99 & up" deals

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I did the same as @Anna N:  Departments -> Kindle e-Readers & Books -> Kindle Store -> Kindle Books 

From there, I found several links that took me to the "Today only: 50+ sizzling cookbooks on Kindle, $1.99 & up" deals

Thanks for the link!  I was not finding it on my own.  I bought Bayless for 99 cents.

• Like 1