• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toliver

San Diego - Cohn Restaurant Group to open non-profit eatery

1 post in this topic

The article:

"Taco stand: Cohns' latest is 100% for charity"

Libertad Tacos a la Brasa in Hillcrest will be the Cohn Restaurant Group’s 26th restaurant — and the first that’s a not-for-profit, with 100 percent of its proceeds going to charity.

Each month, a local organization will be designated by an advisory board to receive the net profits made at the small shop on University Avenue, with a guaranteed minimum of $3,000.

Libertad is believed to be the only eatery of its kind in San Diego and just one of a handful like it in the United States. The national trendlet, which can be traced to the 2013 opening of the craft brew-centric Oregon Public House in Portland, has given rise to such requisite clever mash-ups as “philanthro-pub” and “ale-truism.”

I like most of their restaurants. Some are quite upscale, some not so much.

And I was a huge fan of their Dakota's  restaurant (now closed) in the Gaslamp District of downtown San Diego.

I am hoping this new venue is successful. It's certainly is in a prime location (though parking is an issue in that area).

Here's another article discussing the new venue and its then, for-profit next-door-neighbor (not mentioned in the first article...which may have been dropped by the Cohns since the article was first published):

"Cohn Restaurant Group To Install BO-Beau Incarnation & Upscale Taco Shop In Hillcrest"

1 person likes this

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0