• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Smithy

Are "Aussie Bites" really an Australian thing?

No, I'm not talking about what happens when an Aussie gets angry.  Here in the podes we have a baked good called "Aussie Bites".  They look like mini-muffins, are slightly larger than bite-sized, and are made of various seeds, ground nuts, chopped dried fruits and a bit of oil.  My best friend found them at Costco, but I see they're available from Amazon and a quick Google search brings up recipes for them.  We baked them from this recipe, more or less.

20170306_133616.jpg

They are delicious!  My question is what makes these Australian, if they are.  Is this some Australian delicacy that's made its way to our side of the pond, or some marketer's dream? If they're an Aussie specialty, does anyone here have a favorite version?  

20170306_133604.jpg

Never seen them before in my life.

As they come from Costco, I'd suggest that they are as Australian as Outback Steakhouses which, according to their history,was an Australian-inspired steakhouse restaurant first set up in that well-known Australian city: Tampa, Florida.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, haresfur said:

No sightings here, either. But I'm FOB.

FOB = Far OutBack?

• Like 1

I took a peek at that recipe and it does sound tasty. It also sounds like a recipe for an industrial strength drain cleaner... if those things won't clear the plumbing, nothing will. :D

• Like 4

The Aussies seem to have really caught the eye of the marketers. I see "Aussie" used to sell hair products, beauty products and even pain relievers.

Nope.  Looks like something I would feed my Bird.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

The Aussies seem to have really caught the eye of the marketers. I see "Aussie" used to sell hair products, beauty products and even pain relievers.

In high school I only used Aussie hair spray, shampoo and conditioner.  Smelled soooo  good.  Kind of grape-y.

This was of course after my Aqua-Net phase.

Back on topic, I wonder if any of the seeds etc. that make up the "bite" are indigenous to Australia?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Smithy said:

FOB = Far OutBack?

That would be out back of beyond

Fresh Off the Boat so I haven't been here long enough to pick up on everything.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

In high school I only used Aussie hair spray, shampoo and conditioner.  Smelled soooo  good.  Kind of grape-y.

This was of course after my Aqua-Net phase.

Back on topic, I wonder if any of the seeds etc. that make up the "bite" are indigenous to Australia?

Quinoa? Chia? Not likely. Both have Aztec origins. Probably like the "Aussie" bites. 

Nope.  They look like the seed bells we hang in our budgerigar cages, though.

• Haha 1

"Aussie Bites" have been sold @ Costco on and off for quite some time.   I had come to the thought they are an Americanization of the Anzac Biscuit recipe.

3 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

"Aussie Bites" have been sold @ Costco on and off for quite some time.   I had come to the thought they are an Americanization of the Anzac Biscuit recipe.

Interesting thought, thanks.  I had some more Aussie Bites a couple of weeks ago.  The name may be silly, but those little seed cakes are delicious!