• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 3)

Kim Shook

Host's note: this topic has grown too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so it's been split up.  Click here for the previous segment.

Well, this was lunch with my husband, but there were lots of ladies there;)!  We stopped for lunch after delivering 100 packed lunches to three local homeless shelters at the Starlite Lounge in Richmond.  Mr. Kim had a cheeseburger and fries:

20170121_122034.jpg

I had the Country Bennie with sausage in place of country ham and hash browns:

20170121_122138.jpg

Country ham just didn’t seem to go with sausage gravy.  It was all really good.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today Kerry Beal and I were on  Dundas in Mississauga when we spotted a Caribbean Cafe  and decided to go out for something just a little different than our usual.   Don't recall the name of the place and wasn't able to find it with Google but it was a very small café with perhaps seating for 12. There is no service you order at the counter and carry it to the table yourself.  The music was almost intolerably loud but we may just be getting too old!

image.jpeg

Ox tail curry for Kerry.

image.jpeg

Goat curry for me. Nothing fancy but perfectly good and tasty food.  

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Today Kerry Beal and I were on  Dundas in Mississauga when we spotted a Caribbean Cafe  and decided to go out for something just a little different than our usual.   Don't recall the name of the place and wasn't able to find it with Google but it was a very small café with perhaps seating for 12. There is no service you order at the counter and carry it to the table yourself.  The music was almost intolerably loud but we may just be getting too old!

image.jpeg

Ox tail curry for Kerry.

image.jpeg

Goat curry for me. Nothing fancy but perfectly good and tasty food.  

• Like 2

Another road trip today. My Puritan self said I should have turned it down and got on with some housework but I was able to silence that still, small voice.  We headed off in the direction of Mississauga so that Kerry could take care of some silk screening errands. While she picked brains, I searched the web looking for somewhere interesting for lunch. Pages and pages and pages of restaurants later I came across Bukchang Dong Soon Tofu. This is a tiny Korean restaurant. I do not believe it has a website and its menu is very limited but what it does, it does well. 

Kerry had tea as usual and I had a Canadian. Not my favourite beer by a very long shot but an improvement over the only other two options. 

We each ordered the same thing.  Dolsot Bibimbap  which arrived as it should still sizzling in the bowl.

image.jpeg

A small bowl of soup and the requisite banchan. 

image.jpeg

Dolsot bibimbap. 

Very satisfactory.

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Today a girlfriend and I had lunch with a cousin of mine who is down from Wisconsin and visiting Galveston this month. We met at one of our local favorites, The Sunflower Bakery & Cafe.

I had the Crab Cake Salad.

IMG_0259.JPG

My girlfriend had the Grilled Amberjack.

IMG_0260.JPG

And my cousin had Tomato Basil Soup and half of an Egg Salad Sandwich on Muti-grain Bread.

IMG_0261.JPG

I resisted the temptation, but the other ladies each had a slice of the Chocolate Pie.

IMG_0262.JPG

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Today Kerry and I found ourselves in the same area as we were last week. Well she conducted business with the screen printing people I searched for a place to eat. They did not  seem to be much in the area that was not a chain restaurant but I did stumble on this place,  I Love Pho.  I noticed that many of the reviews seemed to be by people with Vietnamese names. When we arrived at the restaurant was crowded with people who looked Vietnamese.   You don't get much better recommendation than that. We both love pho and it was hard to order something other than that  but I think we were both quite satisfied that we had made a good choice.  Mind you I do hope we get back there to try their pho at some point. 

image.jpeg.e4d086385dbd0ecb95521c01b360989a.jpeg

Without a menu to help me out you'll have to bear with me then I don't know the names of these dishes. I know that this was a Cephalopod of some sort!  They were bouncy "cakes" which I quite enjoyed although the sauce was not to my liking. Our server said the sauce was heavy on the shrimp paste and we could order something different if we wanted.  We didn't bother ordering a different sauce.

image.jpeg.28e5a959a3b02285564ec3a4b0d3fab1.jpeg

We both enjoyed a bowl of soup and I chose the beef ribs over broken rice.

image.jpeg.cf5d88d4405c7a1951ed7c26a154408f.jpeg

Kerry chose the grilled chicken and grilled pork with pork floss.

Kerry had tea and I had a Vietnamese iced coffee.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Today Kerry and I found ourselves in the same area as we were last week. Well she conducted business with the screen printing people I searched for a place to eat. They did not  seem to be much in the area that was not a chain restaurant but I did stumble on this place,  I Love Pho.  I noticed that many of the reviews seemed to be by people with Vietnamese names. When we arrived at the restaurant was crowded with people who looked Vietnamese.   You don't get much better recommendation than that. We both love pho and it was hard to order something other than that  but I think we were both quite satisfied that we had made a good choice.  Mind you I do hope we get back there to try their pho at some point. 

image.jpeg.e4d086385dbd0ecb95521c01b360989a.jpeg

Without a menu to help me out you'll have to bear with me then I don't know the names of these dishes. I know that this was a Cephalopod of some sort!  They were bouncy "cakes" which I quite enjoyed although the sauce was not to my liking. Our server said the sauce was heavy on the shrimp paste and we could order something different if we wanted.  We didn't bother ordering a different sauce.

image.jpeg.28e5a959a3b02285564ec3a4b0d3fab1.jpeg

We both enjoyed a bowl of soup and I chose the beef ribs over broken rice.

image.jpeg.cf5d88d4405c7a1951ed7c26a154408f.jpeg

Kerry chose the grilled chicken and grilled pork with pork floss.

Kerry had tea and I had a Vietnamese iced coffee.

They were squid cakes.

• Like 2

After another hard morning of birding with my Thursday Field Trip class, several classmates and I enjoyed lunch at Galveston's Cajun Greek. One lady had the Spinach Chicken Burger with Cole Slaw. A knife was required for the Burger and half of it went home with her. Another lady ordered Grilled Salmom with Spinach, Rice and Avocado. She also left with a to go box. The third lady and I ordered the Thursday Lunch Special - Flat Iron Pork Steak (thinly sliced pork tenderloin rolled around boudin, breaded and deep fried) with Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Cajun Gravy and a Side Salad. I will be having my leftovers for Dinner tonight!

IMG_0273.thumb.JPG.6723430270c638d0ebd7929a6abb206e.JPG

• Like 12

Today Kerry and I had reason to head off to Georgetown to a small health food store with a considerable inventory of kitchen ware.  After a fairly extensive wander through the store and purchase of a few sale items we decided to find somewhere for lunch. 

The Shepherd's Crook seemed to offer some potential.

Kerry enjoyed some tea

image.jpeg.cecf574931a9fa9218624a397a81ace4.jpeg

While I opted for a half pint of Spark House Red Ale.

image.jpeg.39b6d4a7b2a12c3011fa8b5edcc25c4f.jpeg

image.jpeg.e42661d721fa1085dea5c6c75c2546bc.jpeg

Steak and stout pie for Kerry.

image.jpeg.a40625b404c0b97ac316379060097958.jpeg

Lancashire hot pot for me.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Today Kerry and I had reason to head off to Georgetown to a small health food store with a considerable inventory of kitchen ware.  After a fairly extensive wander through the store and purchase of a few sale items we decided to find somewhere for lunch. 

The Shepherd's Crook seemed to offer some potential.

Kerry enjoyed some tea

image.jpeg.cecf574931a9fa9218624a397a81ace4.jpeg

While I opted for a half pint of Spark House Red Ale.

image.jpeg.39b6d4a7b2a12c3011fa8b5edcc25c4f.jpeg

image.jpeg.e42661d721fa1085dea5c6c75c2546bc.jpeg

Steak and stout pie for Kerry.

image.jpeg.a40625b404c0b97ac316379060097958.jpeg

Lancashire hot pot for me.

Had to google Lancashire hot pot.  Lamb or mutton under potatoes....I like the cheese addition.

I like the Flying Monkey glass. :D

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Shelby

This was so not Lancashire hot pot.   Secretly I was curious to know what sort of dish they would serve it in because to me the dish you use is a large part of Lancashire hot pot.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

One of my lady friends and I are on a five day road trip. Our first stop was the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin. We had lunch on the patio at the Cafe.

IMG_0288.thumb.JPG.aa6edad8780fd363ed059aa9a71c1bca.JPG

We both chose The Tower salad.

IMG_0287.thumb.JPG.124a56a2bc0d9801e069f59aacff922d.JPG

• Like 13

Another lunch with Mr. Kim, who is not a lady.  Our favorite Charlottesville, VA restaurant -  Al Carbon.  We shared – charcoal rotisserie chicken:

DSCN6413.JPG.c5e880d3cfb5b519d151c9fcd386e95e.JPG

The best rotisserie chicken we’ve ever tasted.  Breaded beef cemita:

DSCN6414.JPG.9308404f33cad4c38bed1a2f5424e2ad.JPG

With avocado, Oaxaca cheese and ham.  This sandwich is probably my favorite sandwich ever.  The meat is incredibly tender and flavorful.  I can’t imagine how they manage to make it as good as it is.

Street corn with mayo, cotija cheese, chili powder and lime zest:

DSCN6415.JPG.1b2beaac2375e478dc079314fa7a5bfd.JPG

Where in the world do they get such amazing corn in FEBRUARY?  Little tiny kernels that just burst with sweet corn flavor and moistness.

Charcoal-oven roasted sweet potato topped with sweet cream:

DSCN6416.JPG.634b234479a939d01e2f9c6bfa253bc8.JPG

Everything is just ridiculously delicious.  I said to Mr. Kim while we were eating that there is something different about the diners at a restaurant that truly focuses on food.  Whether it is a high-end restaurant or a hole in the wall doesn’t seem to matter.  In a non-food focused restaurant – an Applebee’s-type or chain fast food folks can be having a wonderful time, but they aren’t really experiencing the food.  In a food focused place they seem to all be truly INTO what they are eating.  I was noticing the diners around us and how much they were enjoying what was in front of them.  One lady (obviously her first visit) kept insisting on giving tastes of her chicken to her friends and at every bite she would close her eyes and slightly shake her head as if she couldn’t believe that it was that good.

• Like 12

After spending the morning visiting the four missions on the San Antonio Mission Trail, my traveling lady friend and I met up with one of my long time lady friends at the Guenther House for a late lunch.

IMG_0292.thumb.JPG.51b745353c6eb62e23f2ab39d0feca70.JPG

We each had the Chicken Salad plate.

IMG_0291.thumb.JPG.8ac366d0789c284c65f11fb6ba83f9ef.JPG

• Like 12

5 hours ago, robirdstx said:

After spending the morning visiting the four missions on the San Antonio Mission Trail, my traveling lady friend and I met up with one of my long time lady friends at the Guenther House for a late lunch.

IMG_0292.thumb.JPG.51b745353c6eb62e23f2ab39d0feca70.JPG

We each had the Chicken Salad plate.

IMG_0291.thumb.JPG.8ac366d0789c284c65f11fb6ba83f9ef.JPG

Are y'all on a strict diet? That looks like a delightful and elegant lunch, but if it topped 300 calories, I would be surprised.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

We have been visiting an old friend of ours who has been moved into a rehabilitation nursing facility. Just on the way is a place called Shan Shan Noodles.  We stop, eat and take home.  Tuesday it was shrimp with pulled noodles for Johnnybird; vegetarian pulled noodles for me and an order of scallion pancakes.  Leftovers were lunch the next day.

Next time I will order something else like the sautéed chicken dish...or maybe some sautéed hand pulled noodles with vegetables..........

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We went out for lunch today to this Korean place as I had read that they were now serving their Korean Fried chicken every day, not just as an occasional lunch special.  When we got there, I found out I had not read the part that said Monday through Thursday.  It is in the basement of an office building so they often have North American type specials and the special today was a cheeseburger and fries.  Disappointing, as my taste buds were primed for sweet and spicy Korean.fried chicken.  So, John ordered the cheeseburger (no picture) and I decided to try jjampong aka Spicy Seafood Noodle Soup.  It was too spicy for me but he loves spicy so we switched.  I had the non shown cheeseburger and he had the soup. He loved the soup and the burg was excellent.  Back next week for the chicken. 

20170303_130654.jpg

• Like 6

Yeah, that soup LOOKS SPICY.  I find that spiciness in a soup is really difficult to tolerate compared to spiciness in a main dish.  I will often cough eating a spicy soup.  Weird but true, for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Yeah, that soup LOOKS SPICY.  I find that spiciness in a soup is really difficult to tolerate compared to spiciness in a main dish.  I will often cough eating a spicy soup.  Weird but true, for me.

Spicy food, which I love unless it's super spicy which this was, makes my nose run.  My husband thought it was fine, but then he can sit there and eat whole Thai chiles.

• Like 3