• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Ashen

Ashen

On 31/08/2016 at 1:55 PM, ElsieD said:

Lunch today was very good.  They had a cod special and the menu listed one of my favourite things and something you see rarely to never on restaurant menus in Canada and that is flammekuchen.  I was vacillating between the two then noticed the flammekuchen served two.  I ordered the cod and was very happy with it. Beautifully cooked, nice big flakes of moist fish served with a red pepper sauce.  It came with rice and a condiment topping of sorts which, when I asked, was told it was a shallots, tomato, white wine and cumin sauce. It was really good and livened up the rice which was a plain white one.  John had the pizza and the toppings were hot and sweet peppers, ham, hot chorizo, shitaki mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese,   They had cruet of spicy oil on the table which he also put on the pizza.  It had a very thin crust and was baked in a gas fired pizza oven.  We did not have dessert but visited a patisserie where we bought a couple of delicious looking things for later.  The ferry is about to take off which is when  I loose my Internet so will post the pictures and try to send before we leave.  The connection is not particularly strong.

Once again I had poked into my fish and rice before remembering to take a picture.  The menu is a list today's specials.

20160831_125239.jpg

20160831_125229.jpg

20160831_133459.jpg

3 brewers/les 3 brasseurs  have spots in kanata and ottawa that serve decent Flammekuche.   They are really expanding  that franchise, good beer too.  My wife and I were so pleased when we saw one in Missisauga  earlier this year. We had been to the one in the old port in Montreal on our honeymoon 10 yrs ago. 

Ashen

Ashen

On 31/08/2016 at 1:55 PM, ElsieD said:

Lunch today was very good.  They had a cod special and the menu listed one of my favourite things and something you see rarely to never on restaurant menus in Canada and that is flammekuchen.  I was vacillating between the two then noticed the flammekuchen served two.  I ordered the cod and was very happy with it. Beautifully cooked, nice big flakes of moist fish served with a red pepper sauce.  It came with rice and a condiment topping of sorts which, when I asked, was told it was a shallots, tomato, white wine and cumin sauce. It was really good and livened up the rice which was a plain white one.  John had the pizza and the toppings were hot and sweet peppers, ham, hot chorizo, shitaki mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese,   They had cruet of spicy oil on the table which he also put on the pizza.  It had a very thin crust and was baked in a gas fired pizza oven.  We did not have dessert but visited a patisserie where we bought a couple of delicious looking things for later.  The ferry is about to take off which is when  I loose my Internet so will post the pictures and try to send before we leave.  The connection is not particularly strong.

Once again I had poked into my fish and rice before remembering to take a picture.  The menu is a list today's specials.

20160831_125239.jpg

20160831_125229.jpg

20160831_133459.jpg

3 brewers/les 3 brasseurs  have spots in kanata and ottawa that serve decent Flammekuche.   They are really expanding on that franchise, good beer too.