• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adding Vanilla to Chocolate

concordal

I wanted to add vanilla to melted chocolate to use as a dip for biscotti.  After adding some to the chocolate, the mixture stiffened up.

The vanilla was from Costco; I checked the contents list on the bottle and confirmed that water was one of the ingredients. That explained it.  Happily, it didn’t spoil things completely - instead of dipping, I used a pastry brush to 'paint' the mixture onto the bottom of the biscott.  (Whew.)

Is there another way to add vanilla to chocolate? 

You can scrape seeds from beans into it directly, and there are oil-based flavors designed for this purpose (make sure that there isn't any alcohol, since the alcohol itself often contains water), as well as powders. It's an American 'thing' to mix the two, you won't find much from European producers.

Edited by Lisa Shock
clarification (log)

Add it to the chocolate before you start to melt it. (I'm not a pastry expert by any means, so my opinion might not mean much, but I've always started my liquids and chocolate together, usually in an improvised double boiler, and it's always worked out just fine.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I would really follow Lisa Shock's suggestion and use vanilla oil or the scraped seeds from a pod. Vanilla does not like too much heat and thus is always added during the cooling stage in production. I must admit that it must be an American "thing" to both add vanilla to chocolate or to coat biscotti with chocolate - biscotti is a dipping biscuit and the flavours in the biscuit are enhanced when dipped into bit of fortified sweet wine or even coffee. Coating with chocolate is not the norm. This said, there is no harm in experimenting!

• Like 2

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

46 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I must admit that it must be an American "thing" to both add vanilla to chocolate or to coat biscotti with chocolate - biscotti is a dipping biscuit and the flavours in the biscuit are enhanced when dipped into bit of fortified sweet wine or even coffee. Coating with chocolate is not the norm. This said, there is no harm in experimenting!

In the US, biscotti is often sold dipped in chocolate. Not traditional, but quite common here, especially at coffee shops. 

Thank you, Concordal.  Went to the cupboard and sure enough, Kirkland Pure Vanilla Extract with water listed as an ingredient.  (Yes, I trusted your word...I just had to see it for myself.)  A second bottle of pure vanilla extract from Singing Dog  (loved the name because our studio is Singing Dogs Studio) also contained water.  Who knew?  Who checked ingredients on pure vanilla extract I ask?  Well, now we know.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 3 years later...

Very old thread, but solved my own problem and this may help someone else.  

I found some Vanilla powder (eg Amazon).  It contains mo water so there is no risk of the chocolate seizing.   Hope this is helfulp