• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense

add link to cuy search.

34 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Very evocative blog and again great photos.

Brings back a lot of memories which trigger some questions. Apologies beforehand if they've already been covered.

Is Cuy popular in Ecuador? I remember eating a lot of it prepared many ways.

Coca leaves were almost always available in the Peruvian markets to be chewed as a mild stimulant with about the same effect as a double expresso or two. Always in the high altitude villages. Does/did the practice extend to Ecuador?

Other things are the sheer variety of potatoes available, ceviche, great tasting chicken and the variety of soup/stew combinations.

Sorry for rambling down memory lane  :D

Cheers.

Cuy is extremely popular here; in Ambato alone there are probably 20-30 places devoted to roasting and serving cuyes and rabbits.  You can also buy cuy, pre-peeled, whole or in parts, from the same butchers who specialize in rabbit in a couple of the mercados if you want to cook your own.  EDIT:  I actually wrote extensively about the hunt for a good cuy in my first foodblog here, five whole years ago - 

Coca leaves…. Perfectly legal to grow, chew, and offer to Pachamama; perfectly illegal to refine.  Highland Ecuadorians go more for coca tea than they do for direct chewing of the leaves; you get the same altitude-resistance effect, but your face doesn't go numb the same way, and it's less habit-forming.  Our highlands are actually a bit higher than Peru's, and for the residents of the highest paramos, coca tea is what keeps them alive.  I live at 3,000 meters above sea level; not the highest altitude available even in my own city, but not the lowest either.  I buy coca tea in convenient teabags at the supermarket, and I can buy coca-leaf lozenges at the health food store.  I use both when I want to do something really physically taxing, like set up for a tradeshow or hike up to the big flag across the valley from me, which is in the closest provincial park and marks a 4,000 m vista point.

And yes, chicken does taste very, very different in Ecuador than it does in either North America or Europe.  I think this comes down largely to the way it's raised and the way it's fed, although breed might play a part - North American chicken tends to be Cornish Rock if you don't raise your own; Ecuador at least is a majority farmer of Naked Neck (sometimes called Churkeys for their size) instead, because it's got better heat resistance than other breeds, but gets big just as fast.  I recall being extremely disappointed in chicken last time I was in Canada; it was bland and even the texture seemed off.

The soup war between Ecuador and Peru is ongoing.  I've lived, and eaten copiously, in both countries; I think Ecuador is the winner on sheer variety as well as on flavour - Peru relies too heavily on adding heat rather than paying attention to balanced flavours or nuance.

Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense

3 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Very evocative blog and again great photos.

Brings back a lot of memories which trigger some questions. Apologies beforehand if they've already been covered.

Is Cuy popular in Ecuador? I remember eating a lot of it prepared many ways.

Coca leaves were almost always available in the Peruvian markets to be chewed as a mild stimulant with about the same effect as a double expresso or two. Always in the high altitude villages. Does/did the practice extend to Ecuador?

Other things are the sheer variety of potatoes available, ceviche, great tasting chicken and the variety of soup/stew combinations.

Sorry for rambling down memory lane  :D

Cheers.

Cuy is extremely popular here; in Ambato alone there are probably 20-30 places devoted to roasting and serving cuyes and rabbits.  You can also buy cuy, pre-peeled, whole or in parts, from the same butchers who specialize in rabbit in a couple of the mercados if you want to cook your own.

Coca leaves…. Perfectly legal to grow, chew, and offer to Pachamama; perfectly illegal to refine.  Highland Ecuadorians go more for coca tea than they do for direct chewing of the leaves; you get the same altitude-resistance effect, but your face doesn't go numb the same way, and it's less habit-forming.  Our highlands are actually a bit higher than Peru's, and for the residents of the highest paramos, coca tea is what keeps them alive.  I live at 3,000 meters above sea level; not the highest altitude available even in my own city, but not the lowest either.  I buy coca tea in convenient teabags at the supermarket, and I can buy coca-leaf lozenges at the health food store.  I use both when I want to do something really physically taxing, like set up for a tradeshow or hike up to the big flag across the valley from me, which is in the closest provincial park and marks a 4,000 m vista point.

And yes, chicken does taste very, very different in Ecuador than it does in either North America or Europe.  I think this comes down largely to the way it's raised and the way it's fed, although breed might play a part - North American chicken tends to be Cornish Rock if you don't raise your own; Ecuador at least is a majority farmer of Naked Neck (sometimes called Churkeys for their size) instead, because it's got better heat resistance than other breeds, but gets big just as fast.  I recall being extremely disappointed in chicken last time I was in Canada; it was bland and even the texture seemed off.

The soup war between Ecuador and Peru is ongoing.  I've lived, and eaten copiously, in both countries; I think Ecuador is the winner on sheer variety as well as on flavour - Peru relies too heavily on adding heat rather than paying attention to balanced flavours or nuance.