• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense

add a bit more about recipe.

28 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Can you tell us a little more about the breads you have pictured upthread, please. 

Sure!  Those are a traditional style called Pan Injerto (literally, "Grafted Bread") where two types of bread are rolled together and baked.  I do it a little differently than most Ambato bakers - a fully traditional Injerto is a white water bread grafted with a richer golden yolk bread; mine are enriched quinua herb (a whitish crumb) together with a black bread based on cornmeal, coffee, and chocolate.  It comes out looking something like this when you slice it - depending on who's rolled it out, it's either a loose heart-spiral like this photo (my stepdad), or a much tighter spiral (myself).  

It is an ideal bread for sandwiches.  The lightness and mild sweetness of the quinua bread balances the weight and bitter-sour tendency of the blue cornbread.  Overall it's about 55% whole grains, 45% unbleached white at about 55% hydration (I'm not terribly scientific about it - when combining and kneading, I add flour until the dough "feels" right under my fingertips.)  The doughs are takeoffs on my standby challah recipe - if you'd like, I can give you the general proportions of non-wheat to wheat flours and other adjuncts.

Injerto.jpg.ca4f460756480d729be1d22d4723

Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense

21 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Can you tell us a little more about the breads you have pictured upthread, please. 

Sure!  Those are a traditional style called Pan Injerto (literally, "Grafted Bread") where two types of bread are rolled together and baked.  I do it a little differently than most Ambato bakers - a fully traditional Injerto is a white water bread grafted with a richer golden yolk bread; mine are enriched quinua herb (a whitish crumb) together with a black bread based on cornmeal, coffee, and chocolate.  It comes out looking something like this when you slice it - depending on who's rolled it out, it's either a loose heart-spiral like this photo (my stepdad), or a much tighter spiral (myself).  

It is an ideal bread for sandwiches.  The lightness and mild sweetness of the quinua bread balances the weight and bitter-sour tendency of the blue cornbread.  Overall it's about 55% whole grains, 45% unbleached white at about 55% hydration (I'm not terribly scientific about it - when combining and kneading, I add flour until the dough "feels" right under my fingertips.)

Injerto.jpg.ca4f460756480d729be1d22d4723