• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Healthy and tasty Santhali fish recipe(Hako lah)

Saren salma

Hello!friends,here I want to share a tribal fish recipe using less oil and it's very easy to cook which u can have with rice or u can use it as sandwich spread.

Ingredients

1.small fishes 250grms

2.mustard paste 1 tblspn

3.onion paste 1/2 tblspn

4.chilli paste 1/2 tblspn

5.pinch of turmeric

6.1/2 tblspn lemon juice

7.salt

8.1/2 tblspn vegitable oil

9.turmeric leaf or any leaf which can add flavour to the dish and u can wrap with it.

Method

Marinate small fishes with lemon and salt for 5 mnts then add all the ingredients mix it well and then wrap it with the leaf.heat a pan cook both side in low flame for 20 mnts.Traditionally it is cooked on barbecue bt u can cook it in oven also. I hope u like it.

Edited by Saren salma (log)

48 minutes ago, Saren salma said:

Hello!friends,here I want to share a tribal fish recipe using less oil and it's very easy to cook which u can have with rice or u can use it as sandwich spread.

Ingredients

1.small fishes 250grms

2.mastered paste 1 tblspn

3.onion paste 1/2 tblspn

4.chilli paste 1/2 tblspn

5.pinch of turmeric

6.1/2 tblspn lemon juice

7.salt

8.1/2 tblspn vegitable oil

9.turmeric leaf or any leaf which can add flavour to the dish and u can wrap with it.

Method

Marinate small fishes with lemon and salt for 5 mnts then add all the ingredients mix it well and then wrap it with the leaf.heat a pan cook both side in low flame for 20 mnts.Traditionally it is cooked on barbecue bt u can cook it in oven also. I hope u like it.

42 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

What kind of small fish?

What is mastered paste?

You can use any kind of small fish which is easily cooked.

It's interesting that you call this a "tribal" recipe. What do you mean by "tribal" and what makes the recipe a "tribal" one?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

The OP is Santhali, from India. Eventually we got that out of her in her first thread.

Saren salma, I think you should be more explicit with your thread titles since there are 'tribes' all over the world, and new people here (or those who have not read these threads for a long time once time takes it to the dungeons of the forum) may have to ask that question over and over. For instance, it might be more useful to say "Hako lah - a Santhali indigenous Indian tribe fish recipe" perhaps.

Chili paste (there are many kinds and most of us are probably aware of that) should also be better described - it is a sweet chili paste, a very hot one? Mustard paste and onion paste - do those consist only of mustard in the first instance, and onion in the second - or are there other ingredients in those that we should know about if we are unable to obtain exactly what you are talking about where we live and have to recreate some facsimile if we want to approximate your tribal tastes?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alex said:

It's interesting that you call this a "tribal" recipe. What do you mean by "tribal" and what makes the recipe a "tribal" one?

As it is popularly cooked by Santhal tribal people in India from which I belong to.

1 hour ago, Deryn said:

The OP is Santhali, from India. Eventually we got that out of her in her first thread.

Saren salma, I think you should be more explicit with your thread titles since there are 'tribes' all over the world, and new people here (or those who have not read these threads for alal long time once time takes it to the dungeons of the forum) may have to ask that question over and over. For instance, it might be more useful to say "Hako lah - a Santhali indigenous Indian tribe fish recipe" perhaps.

Chili paste (there are many kinds and most of us are probably aware of that) should also be better described - it is a sweet chili paste, a very hot one? Mustard paste and onion paste - do those consist only of mustard in the first instance, and onion in the second - or are there other ingredients in those that we should know about if we are unable to obtain exactly what you are talking about where we live and have to recreate some facsimile if we want to approximate your tribal tastes?

First of all thanks for the suggestions next time I would be more explicit for sure.

This is not too hot dish so you can use less hot chili bt not sweet chili.The first thing that would stuck in your mind after having a bite of it is a nice smoky taste of fish which is nicely blend with mustard and onion and then slowly you would discover the other ingredients.

I hope I could clarify some of ur doubts.

Thanks

• Like 1