• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BeeZee

Food recalls

• Thanks 2

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

For those in Western Canada, a recall on Save On Foods' corned beef for listeria:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-11/eng/1570844971791/1570844978778

• Sad 2

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A further update of the beef and veal/E.coli recall, naming specific stores, dates and products:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-11/eng/1570855063694/1570855073008

• Sad 1

This current situation in Canada is quite alarming.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

An endless list. I felt sick just reading it.

• Like 1

One more. I can't keep track of whether this is a new one or an up date, but it's Butcher's Pride corned beef and pastrami. Right now it's Manitoba and points west, but possibly national.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-12/eng/1570907715707/1570907721821

8 hours ago, Darienne said:

This current situation in Canada is quite alarming.  

Bear in mind, almost all of the recall notices I've posted over the past 7-10 days boil down to the same two recalls, one on chicken and one on beef and veal. It's bad, for sure, but easily avoidable for most of us.

• Like 2

I’ve read that Costco has rigorous food safety inspections. More than required by law. 

• Like 1

• Like 1

"Publix recalls Deli White American Cheese: It may contain foreign material"

Publix Super Markets has issued a voluntary recall of Publix Deli White American Cheese, warning that it may contain foreign material.
The cheese was potentially sold between Oct. 3-11 in sub sandwiches and from refrigerated cases in the deli department.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

30 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bit late, isn't it?

I stepped outside and shook my fist towards Publix somewhere on the east coast for being late with this recall. I'm not sure they saw it.;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tim Oliver

Another update on the E.coli/beef and veal recall. The list of retailers now includes Walmart and Overwaitea.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-15/eng/1571192117978/1571192124399

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Salmonella, just for a change. Products are a couple of brands of Italian-style dry sausage, distribution Ontario/Quebec and Alberta/BC.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-16/eng/1571271629505/1571271635314

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Re all of the above:

It's a vegan conspiracy!!!

p

• Haha 1

Just got an email from Penzey's:

If you have chicken soup base from us please check your jar’s best by dates to see if yours has been recalled. The lot numbers are: 00139, 01839, 01049, SEP0820VAN, and OCT1420VAN. These were sold from 3.16.19 onward. If you have one of these jars, don’t use it and see the instructions below for your refund...

...If you are in possession of a Penzeys Spices Chicken Base for Soup and Seasoning that was purchased since March 16, 2019 with the lot numbers of: 00139, 01839, 01049, SEP0820VAN, or OCT1420VAN, please contact us for a full refund or exchange.

To receive a refund or exchange, please either:

1) Return the jar to any of our retail locations, or
2) Send us an email to customerservice1@penzeys.com, including your name, an approximate date of purchase, and a picture of the bottom of the jar.

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

• Thanks 1