• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chefs Catalog going out of business

KitchenQueen

Here's the story.

The decision was made by Target, which acquired the upscale cooking equipment retailer and Cooking.com — another company it will close — in 2013. About 180 workers in Colorado and California will lose their jobs.

Chefs Catalog will continue to sell cookware, cutlery and other kitchen tools online through the holidays. The business will wind down early next year...

Like KQ, I couldn't get in to either website.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

DH bought me a Kitchen Aide 7qt Chef's Exclusive for $549- for my Christmas gift.  On Amazon, he said the same model was over $1,000.  He wants to go back now and look for more attachments. He thinks "meat grinder", and I think "de buyer Confectionery Coating attachment".   Maybe I can score another toy if the price is right!

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I just got into the site. I was hoping to find a KitchenAid spiralizer attachment, but no such luck. They do have the Precise Heat Mixing Bowl for $149.95, which is tempting, but not quite tempting enough.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

well

remember

I tried for two pans   8"  and 10 "

I did get to the cart  I did get to the check-out   but 3  8 "  no 10 "

Soooooo

what do you think those who actually 'paid' are going to get if they ever get a few boxes ?

Boxes with no returns 

567f371427c20_surprised.gif.41c13bb5af9e

Thanks, KQ. I just placed an order: a Shun "Try Me" 4" paring knife for 39.95 and a Scanpan CSX 9½" covered fry pan for 49.95 (plus tax, free shipping).

Edited by Alex
to pare down the paring knife from 4' to 4" (log)
  • Like 1

Well, right now they are advertising up to 90% off...but selections are dwindling quickly.  Check back frequently.

On another note, Chef's free shipping took quite a long time. But,  I am thrilled to report that my Christmas gift....the KitchenAid pro series beast of a mixer---finally arrived today.    It is a thing of beauty. =)   Totally worth waiting for!

• Like 3

-Andrea

I know, the pan I had my eye on has, sigh, vanished.  

That said -- none of the items I've been checking out were anywhere near 90% off. A lot of that stuff is never ever on any kind of big sale anywhere, tho, so it's nice to have even a small discount.   

I had my eye on some Nordic Ware bundt pans but honestly the savings was not that great in the selection was not great either. I can actually get the same or similar price from Amazon with free shipping. I believe chefs catalog is requiring that you spend at least $35 before free shipping kicks in and of course as someone else pointed out there is always the question of what happens if you're unhappy with your purchase? No one to return it to and no way to get your money back. I think I'll just check with Amazon

Edited by kbjesq
Typo (log)

I agree, Rob. it isn't all that great, is it?  I did find a couple items that were 80% off, though. A pressure cooker, and a random fry pan, or something.

While perusing the site, I did find some of the more mundane items at a decent price. So, I put together a housewarming gift for a relative....- including 3 mixing bowls, a batter bowl (with a handle & spout), a deep-dish pie dish, and a large utensil crock thingy- for about $50. Free Fed-Ex shipping.=)  I believe all the items were stonewear. Looked pretty nice, too.

No way could I have done that with KAF.

That new KitchenAid beast found a prominent place on my kitchen counter last night.  Dh ordered it in Merlot....looks just stunning. :)   Only on this forum do I feel perfectly comfortable singing praises about kitchen appliances. I just love it here.

• Like 5

-Andrea

Just received another email from Chef's.   The last day to place orders is January 18.  I clicked on the "shop now" prompt, to see if they had any real 90% off deals.  Maybe they're there, and I can't find them. Pricing for random dinnerware and stoneware isn't bad, though.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how much those Antifatigue mats were. I'm on my feet so much in the chocolate workshop, it seems like it would be a nice addition.  ... I had to read it three times, after I regained consciousness. :o   $671.96?????!!!   What the H are they made out of?????!!!!  Its a little 3 ft section, for Pete's sake!   Are there tiny little feet massagers built inside there or something  ?  

• Like 3

-Andrea

I placed an order with Chef's on 1/2/16. So far every time i check  the order status I see "item on reserve". Nothing about shipping. Is this just me or is any one else having shipping issues?

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

47 minutes ago, ElainaA said:

I placed an order with Chef's on 1/2/16. So far every time i check  the order status I see "item on reserve". Nothing about shipping. Is this just me or is any one else having shipping issues?

I am, for an order placed on Jan 1. I called them yesterday and requested a call-back (vs. waiting on hold), but they never did. So I sent an email to customer service about this today, explaining what happened and requesting that my order be cancelled. I received an auto-reply that said "We do our best to respond to all emails within one business day," but of course I'm not counting on that. The good part, if indeed there is one, is that my credit card hasn't been charged yet, either.

8 hours ago, ElainaA said:

Same here.  I ordered 6 items, one came up as unavailable or out of stock before I even finished my order (not sure how that happens with a proper cart system), one small item shipped and arrived ~10 days later, then another small item shipped and arrived a week after that.  The remaining 3 are showing as reserved.  I wouldn't mind except that one of those 3 items is the main reason I ordered anything at all and I kind of need it.  I've been thinking about cancelling so I can get it elsewhere but it sounds like that may not be an option.