• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

stevenyuan

How To Wrap a Jiao Zi (餃子) Traditional Chinese

Those aren't wontons.

The video title and the Vietnamese introduction are both wrong.

They are 餃子 (jiǎo zi).

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

To me, none of those dumplings shown in the video are wontons.  They are more properly "dumplings" of the jiaozi type a.k.a. pot-stickers (if fried) a.k.a. "shui kow/gow" (水餃); Yale: seui2 gaau2) in Cantonese.  For starters there is more filling used than is traditional for wontons, the wrapper used is the thick round type normally used for, yes, "shui gow" and "jiaozi", and the filling looks like the sort of mixture more associated with "shui gow'jiaozi".  Here's one useful discussion.  Here's the Google translation of the Chinese wiki article on "餛飩".

I note the "author" of the Youtube video is Vietnamese and it seems to me that his/her video is not quite properly titled.

"Wontons" in my understanding tend to be more associated with the southern parts of China.  Even the name "wonton" is transliterated from Cantonese.  Cantonese-style wontons would usually be designated as "雲吞", which means "cloud swallow" and which is pronounced exactly the same (Yale: wan4 tan1) as "餛飩".  The wiki article on wonton isn't a bad one.  In Hong Kong and other Cantonese-dominant areas the most valued wontons would be ones with prawns only, or at least with prawns as the dominant part of the filling.

...andddd I see that the title of the video on Youtube has been sneakily changed from "How to wrap a wonton" to "How to wrap a Jiao Zi" after the fact and without any notes on the change.

:-)

...andddd I see that the title of the video on Youtube has been sneakily changed from "How to wrap a wonton" to "How to wrap a Jiao Zi" after the fact and without any notes on the change.

I don't see anything sneaky. The OP has probably taken note of the comments given here, realised his error and sensibly changed the title. Isn't this what we are here for, after all? To learn.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

I don't see anything sneaky. The OP has probably taken note of the comments given here, realised his error and sensibly changed the title. Isn't this what we are here for, after all? To learn.

Well said Liuzhou.

Welcome to the forum Steven, and thanks for posting the video.

Just curious, are you the author of the video? If so, you have amazing skills.

If not, perhaps it's a good idea to say so in your post. I have not read the rules here in this Forum regarding re-posting someone else's material.

There is another essentially identical youtube video uploaded by Han meimei,  Published on Dec 20, 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2IegQSfe70

dcarch

Fair enough.  I will correct my comments to "quietly changed".  :-) 

Well said Liuzhou.

Welcome to the forum Steven, and thanks for posting the video.

Just curious, are you the author of the video? If so, you have amazing skills.

If not, perhaps it's a good idea to say so in your post. I have not read the rules here in this Forum regarding re-posting someone else's material.

There is another essentially identical youtube video uploaded by Han meimei,  Published on Dec 20, 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2IegQSfe70

dcarch

They appear identical in both content and  music track, except that the video appears to have been reprocessed to cut off the bottom part of each frame (seen by comparing them at suitable moments and looking at the extent shown of the fingers of the person folding the dumplings) to eliminate the copyright/watermark in the video you linked to.  The watermark contains the url for a foodblog.

What is the difference between the 饺子, 水饺, 云吞  and How many main types of them?

Thank you so much!

What is the difference between the 饺子, 水饺, 云吞 and How many main types of them? Thank you so much!

Briefly:

饺子 jiaozi is a generic term covering all dumplings made with this relatively thick skin. They are most often made in the classic crescent moon shape.

The stuffing can vary enormously. Most common is probably minced (ground) pork with cabbage or other green vegetable. Shrimp, chicken, beef, lamb etc can all be used as can mushrooms and other vegetables.

I have seen them with all kinds of fillings both sweet and savoury, although the latter are much more common. About twenty years ago, I ate in a Beijing jiaozi place which had over 200 varieties on offer. My favourite local jiaozi place has about twenty. 

水饺 shuijiao are simple boiled jiaozi (as opposed to fried). They may be served on their own with various dips, or in soups.

jiaozi.jpg

水饺- Boiled Jiaozi

馄炖, 云吞, 抄手 are alternative names for 'wontons' which are generally smaller than jiaozi, use thinner skin and are usually wrapped more like traditional money bags.or like a hobo's knapsack. The stuffing is usually simpler and much less in volume. There are, however exceptions and there are many regional variations.

In mainland China, they are nearly always served in soup, sometimes with noodles.

Huntun.jpg

Commercially made frozen wontons - 馄炖

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

What LiuZhou said.

Also, 水饺 can be boiled in plain water or sometimes steamed, but wontons must be served in very good soup (stock). 

dcarch

• Like 1

If you look at the following link, this lady who started the Chop-chop.co.uk restaurant in Scotland says she bought a 'dumpling machine' from China.  I've seen some on the web which are monsters designed for factory production.  Any idea what she's talking about?

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/57a081ac#/57a081ac/66

I did send her a message but I didn't get a reply...... :-(

It sounds to me like she has acquired some sort of industrial machine for mass production of jiaozi for freezing.

Although frozen jiaozi are available in every supermarket in China, most people prefer to make them by hand. At festivals it is a real community activity with the whole extended family taking part, making and rolling the skins, preparing the stuffing then assembling the things by the dozen and preparing dips. 

This lot, and many more, were prepared for a birthday party. About 20 people mucked in.

jiaozi and dips.jpg

dips.jpg

jiaozi bowls.jpg

jiaozi.jpg

My local jiaozi restaurant, as mentioned above, has a small army of people who literally make thousands every day, by hand. The place is packed out every lunch and dinner time; but I'm sure people wouldn't go if they started using machines.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

But you know liuzhou, Europe is not China.  There isn't a plentiful supply of cheap labour or the lady I posted abour above would have made use of it.  She had to buy some kind of machine.  I have seen one machine but is manually powered but I'm not sure how good it is.  When I get a chance I'll post a link.

If you look at the following link, this lady who started the Chop-chop.co.uk restaurant in Scotland says she bought a 'dumpling machine' from China.

I'll be fascinated to see what this 'jiaozi machine' does. I have been unable to open the link supplied.

There are many such machines illustrated by Mr. Google here, They range from the industrial sized which seem to be aimed at factories selling frozen jiaozi to supermarkets, through to the plastic, hand-cranked thing which would seem to be more trouble than it is worth to produce a few jiaozi at home.

But you know liuzhou, Europe is not China. There isn't a plentiful supply of cheap labour or the lady I posted abour above would have made use of it.

Your point about cheap labour is perfectly valid (although labour costs are rising rapidly in China), but at the same time, the restaurateurs here aren't stupid. If they thought they could produce what they are producing more quickly and at a lower cost they would do so. Their loyalty to jiazo making staff is no hold.

They know the customers would desert the place in droves. There is nothing more suspicious and less appealing than a plate of identical, perfect jiaozi. They are supermarket fodder. People go to the restaurants for high quality, hand-made jiaozi. The restaurateurs know that. 

EDIT: Finally managed to open the supplied link. She explicitly states that she bought the machine to make jiaozi to sell frozen to supermarkets, as I suspected. She might get away with selling supermarket jiaozi in a Scottish restaurant - but I doubt for long. She certainly wouldn't many other places.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

Here in NY, not only the jiaozi are machine made by some restaurants, there are companies who only made the various kind of fillings to supply to restaurants.

dcarch

Here in NY, not only the jiaozi are machine made by some restaurants, there are companies who only made the various kind of fillings to supply to restaurants.

And NY is a well known centre of jiaozi excellence, isn't it?

Well, possibly not.

McD's hamburgers are made and cooked  in huge factories miles away from where you eat them. The local restaurant just heats them up. It proves nothing. 

But al of this this is utterly irrelevant to the the OP's question. He or she wanted to know how to wrap a jiaozi, or maybe not. Now that the video has been yet changed again, I'm no longer sure what the point of the thread is.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

liuzhou,

In that pic you posted of all those hand-made jiaozi there is a dipping sauce.  Do you know what's in it or how to make it?

liuzhou,

In that pic you posted of all those hand-made jiaozi there is a dipping sauce.  Do you know what's in it or how to make it?

It's a mixture of light soy sauce and black vinegar with chopped Chinese chives. Coriander leaf  / cilantro is also sometimes added. In most places, the customer mixes it themselves to taste.

It's a mixture of light soy sauce and black vinegar with chopped Chinese chives. Coriander leaf  / cilantro is also sometimes added. In most places, the customer mixes it themselves to taste.

No chilli oil?

I had this once when eating jiaozi and it was divine.  I've tried to re-create it at home but not quite there yet.

No chilli oil?

Not on this occasion, but chilli flakes are often added rather than chilli oil. At least round here.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      While there have been other Chinese vegetable topics in the past, few of them were illustrated And some which were have lost those images in various "upgrades".

What I plan to do is photograph every vegetable I see and say what it is, if I know. However, this is a formidable task so it'll take time. The problem is that so many vegetables go under many different Chinese names and English names adopted from one or other Chinese language, too. For example, I know four different words for 'potato' and know there are more. And there are multiple regional preference in nomenclature. Most of what you will see will be vegetables from supermarkets, where I can see the Chinese labelling. In "farmer's" or wet markets, there is no labelling and although, If I ask, different traders will have different names for the same vegetable. Many a time I've been supplied a name, but been unable to find any reference to it from Mr Google or his Chinese counterparts. Or if I find the Chinese, can't find an accepted translation so have to translate literally.

Also, there is the problem that most of the names which are used in the English speaking countries have, for historical reasons, been adopted from Cantonese, whereas 90% of Chinese speak Mandarin (普通话 pǔ tōng huà). But I will do my best to supply as many alternative names as I can find. I shall also attempt to give Chinese names in simplified Chinese characters as used throughout mainland China and then in  traditional Chinese characters,  now mainly only used in Hong Kong, Taiwan and among much of the Chinese diaspora. If I only give one version, that means they are the same in Simp and Trad.

I'll try to do at least one a day. Until I collapse under the weight of vegetation.

Please, if you know any other names for any of these, chip in. Also, please point out any errors of mine.

I'll start with bok choy/choy. This is and alternatives such as  pak choi or pok choi are Anglicised attempts at the Cantonese pronunciation of the Mandarin! However in Cantonese it is more often 紹菜; Jyutping: siu6 coi3. In Chinese it is 白菜. Mandarin Pinyin 'bái cài'. This literally means 'white vegetable' but really just means 'cabbage' and of course there are many forms of cabbage. Merely asking for bái cài in many a Chinese store or restaurant will be met with blank stares and requests to clarify. From here on I'm just going to translate 白菜 as 'cabbage'.

So, here we go.

Brassica rapa subsp. pekinensis

This is what you may be served if you just ask for baicai. Or maybe not. In much of China it is 大白菜 dà bái cài meaning 'big cabbage'. In English, usually known as Napa cabbage, Chinese cabbage, celery cabbage, Chinese leaf, etc.  In Chinese, alternative names include 结球白菜 / 結球白菜 ( jié qiú bái cài ), literally knotted ball cabbage, but there are many more. 

This cabbage is also frequently pickled and becomes  known as 酸菜 (Mand: suān cài; Cant: syun1 coi3) meaning 'sour vegetable', although this term is also used to refer to pickled mustard greens.

Pickled cabbage.

• By liuzhou
      Perhaps the food-related question I get asked most through my blog is “What's it like for vegetarians and vegans in China. The same question came up recently on another thread, so I put this together. Hope it's useful. It would also, be great to hear other people's experience and solutions.

For the sake of typing convenience I’m going to conflate 'vegetarians and vegan' into just 'vegetarian' except where strictly relevant.
      First a declaration of non-interest. I am very carnivorous, but I have known vegetarians who have passed through China, some staying only a few weeks, others staying for years.

Being vegetarian in China is a complicated issue. In some ways, China is probably one of the best countries in which to be vegetarian. In other ways, it is one of the worst.

I spent a couple of years in Gorbachev-era Russia and saw the empty supermarkets and markets. I saw people line up for hours to buy a bit of bread.. So, when I first came to China, I kind of expected the same. Instead, the first market I visited astounded me. The place was piled high with food, including around 30 different types of tofu, countless varieties of steamed buns and flat breads and scores of different vegetables, both fresh and preserved, most of which I didn't recognise. And so cheap I could hardly convert into any western currency.
      If you are able to self-cater then China is heaven for vegetarians. For short term visitors dependent on restaurants or street food, the story is very different.

Despite the perception of a Buddhist tradition (not that strong, actually), very few Chinese are vegetarian and many just do not understand the concept. Explaining in a restaurant that you don't eat meat is no guarantee that you won't be served meat.

Meat is seen in China as a status symbol. If you are rich, you eat more meat.And everyone knows all foreigners are rich, so of course they eat meat! Meat eating is very much on the rise as China gets more rich - even to the extent of worrying many economists, food scientists etc. who fear the demand is pushing up prices and is environmentally dangerous. But that's another issue. Obesity is also more and more of a problem.
      Banquet meals as served in large hotels and banquet dedicated restaurants will typically have a lot more meat dishes than a smaller family restaurant. Also the amount of meat in any dish will be greater in the banquet style places.

Traditional Chinese cooking is/was very vegetable orientated. I still see my neighbours come home from the market with their catch of greenery every morning. However, whereas meat wasn't the central component of dinner, it was used almost as a condiment or seasoning. Your stir fried tofu dish may come with a scattering of ground pork on top, for example. This will not usually be mentioned on the menu.
      Simple stir fried vegetables are often cooked in lard (pig fat) to 'improve' the flavour.

Another problem is that the Chinese word for meat (肉), when used on its own refers to pork. Other meats are specified, eg (beef) is 牛肉, literally cattle meat. What this means is that when you say you don't eat meat, they often think you mean you don't eat pork (something they do understand from the Chinese Muslim community), so they rush off to the kitchen and cook you up some stir fried chicken! I've actually heard a waitress saying to someone that chicken isn't meat. Also, few Chinese wait staff or cooks seem to know that ham is pig meat. I have also had a waitress argue ferociously with me that the unasked for ham in a dish of egg fried rice wasn't meat.

Also, Chinese restaurant dishes are often given have really flowery, poetic names which tell you nothing of the contents. Chinese speakers have to ask. One dish on my local restaurant menu reads “Maternal Grandmother's Fluttering Fragrance.” It is, of course, spicy pork ribs!
      Away from the tourist places, where you probably don't want to be eating anyway, very few restaurants will have translations of any sort. Even the best places' translations will be indecipherable. I have been in restaurants where they have supplied an “English menu”, but if I didn't know Chinese would have been unable to order anything. It was gibberish.

To go back to Buddhism and Taoism, it is a mistake to assume that genuine followers of either (or more usually a mix of the two) are necessarily vegetarian. Many Chinese Buddhists are not. In fact, the Dalai Lama states in his autobiography that he is not vegetarian. It would be very difficult to survive in Tibet on a vegetarian diet.

There are vegetarian restaurants in many places (although the ones around where I am never seem to last more than six months). In the larger cities such as Beijing and Shanghai they are more easily findable.

Curiously, many of these restaurants make a point of emulating meat dishes. The menu reads like any meat using restaurant, but the “meat” is made from vegetable substitutes (often wheat gluten or konjac based).

To be continued
    • By liuzhou
      It is possibly not well-known that China has some wonderful hams, up there with the best that Spain can offer. This lack of wide -knowledge, at least in the USA, is mainly down to regulations forbidding their importation. However, for travellers to China and those in  places with less restrictive policies, here are some of the best.

This article from the WSJ is a good introduction to one of the best - Xuanwei Ham 宣威火腿  (xuān wēi huǒ tuǐ) from Yunnan province.
      This Ingredient Makes Everything Better
      I can usually obtain Xuanwei ham here around the Chinese New Year/Spring Festival, but I also have a good friend who lives in Yunnan who sends me regular supplies. The article compares it very favourably with jamon iberico, a sentiment with which I heartily agree.

Xuanwei Ham

Xuanwei Ham

more coming soon.

• By liuzhou
      I have just returned home to China from an almost two week trip to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam. To get there I first travelled by train to the provincial capital, Nanning. The local airport only does domestic flights, whereas there are direct flights from Nanning. The flight time required that I stay overnight at the Aviation Hotel in Nanning, from which there is a regular direct bus to the airport.

The trip to Nanning is about an hour and a half and passes through some nice karst scenery.

After booking into the hotel, I set off for my favourite Nanning eating destination. Zhongshan Night market is a well known spot and very popular with the locals. I had forgotten that it was a local holiday - the place is always busy, but that night it was exceptionally so.

It consists of one long street with hundreds of stalls and is basically a seafood market, although there are a few stalls selling alternatives.

Filled myself with seafood (and some of that blood sausage above), slept soundly and, next morning, flew to Ho Chi Minh City.

The rest of my trip can be seen here:

• By Lisa Shock
      Years ago, when I visited Tokyo, I ate in a small but fascinating restaurant called 'It's Vegetable' which is now, unfortunately, closed. The chef was from Taiwan, and he made Buddhist vegetarian and vegan dishes that resembled meat. During my visit, several monks wearing robes stopped in to eat dinner. The dishes were pretty amazing. I understood some of them, like using seitan to mimic chicken in stir fry dishes, others used tofu products like yuba, but, others were complex and obviously difficult. One very notable dish we enjoyed was a large 'fish' fillet designed to serve several people. It had a 'skin' made of carefully layered 'scales' cut from nori and attached to the surface. Inside, the white 'flesh' flaked and tasted much like a mild fish. Anyway, apparently Buddhist fake meat meals are very popular in Taiwan and many places, cheap through to fine dining serve them. Yes, if I worked on it for a while, I could probably refine one or two dishes on my own, but, I am wondering if there's a Modernist Cuisine type cookbook for skillfully making these mock meats from scratch? (I have heard that some items are commercially made and available frozen there, much like soy-based burgers are in the US.) I am willing to try almost any offering, even if it's entirely in Chinese. And, I know how to use remailers to purchase regional items from the various local retailers worldwide who do not ship to the US.