• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pots and pans that give the best results?

My life experience has been, the thicker, the better. I really like to get pots and pans from restaurant supply stores, or even better, restaurant auctions. not silly $300 aluminum pots, but perfectly utilitarian heavy bottomed pots and cast iron skillets. I got a couple 12 gallon heavy aluminum pots for $5 each. I've gotten 12" cast iron skillets for $1. once you season these properly they end up with a perfect non-stick surface.

The book's advice about getting a thick 1/2"-1" plate of aluminum to put on the burner can make any pot cook evenly.

When you have a really good heavy bottomed pot, the heat spreads more smoothly and you don't get hot spots that cause burning as easily.

Another product that is very helpful can be found at most any Indian grocery, which is a heat diffuser, that goes under the pot. That's a cheaper version of the aluminum plate and is probably under $10. Here are some heat diffusers on amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=heat+diffuser

My Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker has a heavy bottom and in conjunction with a diffuser, doesn't burn reducing sauces even when the burner is on high. That's pleasant.

This post/video has a lot of great info about picking out pots and pans:

http://modernistcuisine.com/2012/11/our-guide-to-picking-the-perfect-pan/

In general, we don't favor a type or brand, but you should look at the thickness of the pot. That will yield a better result because it will conduct heat more evenly.

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine