• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Egg Thread

liuzhou

I guess Chinese don't have much recipes without soy sauce, if there are any :) 

That's a common misconception in the West.  (Ditto that soy sauce is to be poured onto everything on the plate, no matter what is on the plate)

There are many recipes where soy sauce is not used.  Personal preferences also enter into this issue.  Perhaps it might be worthwhile to pick up a cookbook or two on Chinese cuisine one day, of whatever regionality, and browse through it?  (Preferably written by a chef-author who is either Chinese or knowledgeable about the various cuisines :-) ) 

That's a common misconception in the West.  (Ditto that soy sauce is to be poured onto everything on the plate, no matter what is on the plate)

There are many recipes where soy sauce is not used.  Personal preferences also enter into this issue.  Perhaps it might be worthwhile to pick up a cookbook or two on Chinese cuisine one day, of whatever regionality, and browse through it?  (Preferably written by a chef-author who is either Chinese or knowledgeable about the various cuisines :-) ) 

Thanks for clearing that up. My statement about soy sauce was more like a joke than any serious intention, sorry if I offended you. Note taken. :)

member of London's Fantastic Services - oven cleaning branch

• 6 years later...

I read today that a 1000 year egg has been found in Israel.  No tea leaves were harmed in its preservation.  Chickens apparently were introduced to the Middle East by Romans.  The yolk is being saved for DNA analysis.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I read today that a 1000 year egg has been found in Israel.  No tea leaves were harmed in its preservation.  Chickens apparently were introduced to the Middle East by Romans.  The yolk is being saved for DNA analysis.

With no clue, i would challenge the idea of chickens being introduced to the middle east by the Romans. Chickens, I mean, what we grow for eggs and meat, is the domestication version of Gallus gallus, a species that only lives as a wild species in south east Asia, so thinking of spreading of the domestic fowl, they should have arrived to the middle east before they arrive to Roman. I would see that could have happen to ducks, but i reckon there is also ancient information from Egypt in regards duck consumption (and fattening)

Some other species now considered in the western word, that we have easy access to their eggs, to me only quails came to mind. Still, at least in Europe, it is mostly Japanese quail Coturnix japonica, (a bit larger and more productive in eggs than the european- C. coturnix), and oin other place some quails for North America I reckon are used too for egg production.

cheers

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I read today that a 1000 year egg has been found in Israel. 

This?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Now, I'm bad to keep stuff for way too long in my fridge. But I can't touch this.

• Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I read today that a 1000 year egg has been found in Israel.  No tea leaves were harmed in its preservation. 

Sadly. Since century eggs are nowhere to be found...

• Haha 1

~ Shai N.