• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hawaii food culture

mothersruin

We're looking to travel to Hawaii in March next year and I was wondering whether there is anything like a credible or good luau experience available? One that isn't totally tourist?

I realise the inherent contradiction in this - a luau being something family and friends would share in private, and that the concept of going to a commercial or paid one slightly defeats the purpose of this - but I wonder if there are any out there which are actually good either from a food sense, or which don't just put on tourist naff. So many I have seen are at hotels which I imagine are more the latter.

Any tips or experiences would be appreciated. We're spending most of our time in Maui and the Big Island, on the Hilo side.

I'd first ask which island/s you're going to visit.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...