• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KFC 2012–

Toliver

I swear I saw a TV commercial this weekend for new KFC chicken pot pies at KFC.

Has anyone tried them? Are they a regular menu item or are they a special "limited time only" item?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Since this topic has come up: I almost never eat KFC, mostly for health reasons. However, yesterday it was my only option, which was sort of nice because I DO like the flavor of KFC. I got a two piece meal, and got the "extra crispy" style because I might as well go all out if I'm going to eat it. I was really disappointed because it was not how I remembered - does the "extra crispy" actually taste different than the regular recipe (aside from the crunch, of course)? Maybe it's been too long and I had some nostalgic memory of it being better, but in the end I didn't even eat the skin/coating and just went for the meat and sides instead.

I was really disappointed because it was not how I remembered - does the "extra crispy" actually taste different than the regular recipe (aside from the crunch, of course)? Maybe it's been too long and I had some nostalgic memory of it being better, but in the end I didn't even eat the skin/coating and just went for the meat and sides instead.

A fond memory I have is KFC Sundays as a kid, and how ridiculously delicious a bucket smelled when my parents brought it into the car. I haven't had KFC for many many years, and reading your comment reaffirms that I shouldn't have KFC again lest I destroy that nostalgia.

Edited by Junkbot (log)

We almost never eat at KFC anymore. I used to like the chicken, too, but our local grocery stores make MUCH better chicken than our KFC and we are lucky enough to have a small cafe that serves great fried chicken. I remember loving their slaw, too. I even used to stop and buy just a tub of slaw to go with dinner if I didn't feel like making my own. The last couple of times that I did it, I was disappointed - they've changed the recipe and it is not at all like it used to be.

Never tried it yet. I think KFC offers different menu to other countries. So if it will be offered in the US, I am not sure it will be available worldwide.

There's an easy way to test that. Do your KFCs offer plates that include 1-2 pieces of chicken, green salad, and menestra (lentils or red beans in their own gravy)? If so, then the menus are standard worldwide. If not, then there are differing menus for different countries.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Since this topic has come up: I almost never eat KFC, mostly for health reasons. However, yesterday it was my only option, which was sort of nice because I DO like the flavor of KFC. I got a two piece meal, and got the "extra crispy" style because I might as well go all out if I'm going to eat it. I was really disappointed because it was not how I remembered - does the "extra crispy" actually taste different than the regular recipe (aside from the crunch, of course)? Maybe it's been too long and I had some nostalgic memory of it being better, but in the end I didn't even eat the skin/coating and just went for the meat and sides instead.

The Extra Crispy does not taste the same as the original recipe. They're completely different coatings which isn't very logical. Why not make the extra crispy taste like the original but just crispier? Go figure. :sad:

I don't order the extra crispy because it doesn't taste like anything. It's just all crunchy texture and that's it.

Tim Oliver

The Extra Crispy does not taste the same as the original recipe. They're completely different coatings which isn't very logical. Why not make the extra crispy taste like the original but just crispier? Go figure. :sad:

I don't order the extra crispy because it doesn't taste like anything. It's just all crunchy texture and that's it.

Good to know - and I totally agree that it was rather flavorless. I guess the bad news is that I'm now tempted to go back to get a regular piece to see if I still like it.

Also, for the record, I love their biscuits if fresh, before they get hard.

Edited by TheNoodleIncident (log)

Its been a long while, but my recollection is that once upon a time, extra-crispy appeared to be regular that was double battered, and, perhaps, double fried. It seemed to me that it was identical in flavor, and only mildly crisper. Back then, needing every calorie for every penny, I was happy with the extra batter.

I recall the first time I had extra crispy, and it was extra crispy. I was disappointed. While some crunch was satisfying, the sweet succulence of the original was better.

I don't know if the new pot pie is a re-introduction of the pot pie that was available some years ago. When it was introduced years ago, I decided to try it. It was very tasty, altho' I thought it was rather small for the price. I later found a list of fattiest convenience foods, and it was near the top. Well, it was very savory.

My parents discovered the KFC pot pies years ago, and were well impressed. I thought they were good (very pretty as well). But I think they lacked the bottom crust. And I think the commercial I just saw for the current ones might have suggested that.

Has KFC changed over the years?

I had to wait to get my wife's opinion on this (as she is the more consistant consumer of the Colonel's fare), but I think we're agreed that the core product is largely the same as in the past. But also that they've come out with a lot of crap products in the interim ('though she likes the current wings).

I do think that the golden cultural age of the Bucket o' Chicken has passed us by. It used to be a family event. But I suspect that it's more about us than the chicken.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the new KFC chicken pot pie over the weekend. I actually wanted to try it two weekends ago but was told "We're out of pot pies right now. We'll have more ready in 25 minutes." :blink: Really?

The bad news about the pot pies is that they are single crust. :angry: That being said, the top crust crimping is excessive so there's a lot of extra crust hanging around the edge of the pot pie for crust fans to enjoy.

As for the filling...it was a mixed bag, so to speak. It did have lots of chunks of chicken (and a small bone :shock: ), but the filling was too thick and there should have been more of it. It also didn't have a lot of veggies (peas, carrots, etc). The flavor of the sauce itself was just okay.

Overall, I was disappointed. You would think that if a company like KFC was going to sell a chicken pot pie that they wouldn't release it until it was the best chicken pot pie ever. This is just okay. It isn't the best chicken pot pie I've ever had, but it's not the worst, either.

Tim Oliver

You would think that if a company like KFC was going to sell a chicken pot pie that they wouldn't release it until it was the best chicken pot pie ever. This is just okay. It isn't the best chicken pot pie I've ever had, but it's not the worst, either.

I am shocked, shocked! that KFC would allow something sub par to be associated with their name!

PS: I am a guy.

• 1 month later...

I haven't tried the KFC pot pie yet since I really never go there anymore and it's just not on my travel route.. I used to enjoy their chicken, however, but it HAD to be pretty fresh. I think the issue mostly is that the franchises just don't do as much business as they used to and the chicken sits around a long time and loses it crispiness and flavor.

That said, if you want a really big, awful pot pie, try Costco. I can't believe that for a company that produces some of the best prepared food around that they can't come up with something a whole lot better than this.

Linda

Cooking KFC was my first real job in 1976. I can put some perspective on to the original versus extra crispy thing, at least as it was in the late 1970s.

Both the egg wash and the coating flour mixture are different for original and crispy chicken. For the original, the egg wash mixture (made by mixing a pre-packaged dry ingredient bag with water) was a sort of light orange color that I assume came from dehydrated egg yolks. None of the pre-packaged dry mixtures listed ingredients. To make original recipe breading, 25 pounds of flour was mixed with a pre-measured bag of salt and a pre-packaged spice mixture, the Colonel's secret recipe. You dipped the chicken in the egg wash and then into the seasoned flour. The chicken is browned in an open pressure cooker (400 degree oil) for about 4 minutes and then the pressure lid is locked on and the chicken cooks for about 9 more minutes.

The crispy chicken egg wash had a faintly bluish color reminiscent of skim milk. The flour was seasoned with salt and nothing else. The crispy chicken goes from egg wash to flour, then back in the egg wash and into the flour a second time to build up extra coating. Then the chicken was deep fried in a 375 degree open vat for about 20-22 minutes, no pressure involved.

I actually worked at a Geno's restaurant, a northeast hamburger chain that also served KFC. The story of the cooking oil is interesting also. We started with 50 pound blocks of vegetable shortening (this was the days before trans fat scares) that were melted in the french fry vats and used to cook fries for a few days. When the oil was deemed to be too dark for french fries, it was moved to the crispy chicken vats. When it was too dark for crispy chicken it moved again to the original chicken pressure cookers. That's why original is always darker than crispy, it's by design.

• 1 year later...

So KFC has a breakthrough with their newest product:

"KFC's new Go Cup is a brilliant idea"
...the Go Cup, which holds smaller, snack-sized portions of food, fits 83 percent of all car cup holders...
...(KFC) learned that consumers wanted a snack that was a protein, portable, sold for a low price and that didn't need utensils...
At the same time, KFC knew that about half its sales were being made by drive-through customers.

The article reads more like an opinion piece, but the new KFC Go Cup does sound innovative. There's nothing else out there that's really like this already.

Has the Go Cup made it to your neighborhood, yet?

Tim Oliver

So KFC has a breakthrough with their newest product:

"KFC's new Go Cup is a brilliant idea"
...the Go Cup, which holds smaller, snack-sized portions of food, fits 83 percent of all car cup holders...
...(KFC) learned that consumers wanted a snack that was a protein, portable, sold for a low price and that didn't need utensils...
At the same time, KFC knew that about half its sales were being made by drive-through customers.

The article reads more like an opinion piece, but the new KFC Go Cup does sound innovative. There's nothing else out there that's really like this already.

Has the Go Cup made it to your neighborhood, yet?

So, I read the article, and what appeared to be missing, is what the Go Cup contains. Chicken? Fries? Vegetables? So sure, the Go Cup may be a Great Idea! But tell me, please, what's in the cup?

... Shel

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the Nutrition Information: 540 calories of which 46.6% is from fat not to mention the sodium load at 1440 mg is a whole day's worth. For alot of people this represents a significant percentage (approx 25%)of their daily caloric requirements. Some "snack". Just say'n.